inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cliff Richards

Written By: eightieschick53 on 03/22/05 at 10:33 pm

Anyone ever heard the song A Little in Love?  ;D  ;) Or Suddenly? (Which was a duet with Olivia Newton-John)

Subject: Re: Cliff Richards

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/23/05 at 2:12 am

Actually, I never have, but I do own one called "We Don't Talk Anymore" on a compilation. Just discovered recently, but it's a really fun, catchy song. Say a mix of an upbeat Christopher Cross song, new wave, and maybe something Survivor would do. Yeah, interesting mix, but it works. :)

It's from '79, but sounds very "80's" to me.

I think he was way more popular in England - I have a couple other online friends from there who say he's still basically a household name there. He has another hit from around the same time called "Wired for Sound" which I think is huge.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/23/05 at 2:18 am

Anyone ever heard the song A Little in Love?  ;D  ;) Or Suddenly? (Which was a duet with Olivia Newton-John)
I just about remember it, probably know it when I hear it.

Written By: ktelqueen on 03/23/05 at 2:52 am

both are good songs  :)

Written By: Paul on 03/23/05 at 3:11 am

First off, it's Cliff Richard...there is no 's' in his name...

Very good songs both...if memory serves, 'Suddenly' was from the film 'Xanadu' which was slammed by the critics...

I think he was way more popular in England - I have a couple other online friends from there who say he's still basically a household name there. He has another hit from around the same time called "Wired for Sound" which I think is huge.

He's popular almost everywhere (especially in mainland Europe) - America was the big hurdle for him, he eventually reached the top ten there in 1976...

I say 'eventually', as his first record release was in 1958...!! Since then, he's charted over 100 times in Britain...

He's had a British #1 record in five decades (50s, 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s) which is an achievement never likely to be beaten...

So yes...quite a popular bloke...!!

Written By: Bobby on 03/23/05 at 3:40 am

Yep. 'A little in love' is quite a nice song. Wired for sound is . . . alright to be diplomatic, lol.  ;D

Sir Cliff Richard has had an incredible career over here. He's a bit of an English legend now, lol.

Written By: karen on 03/23/05 at 3:48 am

My mum loves him, but he's not really my cup of tea.  One or two songs sort of stick in your mind though.  Probably my favourite is the one he did with the Young Ones cast "Livin' Doll"

Written By: Bobby on 03/23/05 at 4:38 am

My mum loves him, but he's not really my cup of tea.  One or two songs sort of stick in your mind though.  Probably my favourite is the one he did with the Young Ones cast "Livin' Doll"

I recently got the 'Livin' doll' video from VH1 Classics - absolutely brilliant!  ;D

"Hey kids. It doesn't matter what you are. Skins, rastas, punks . . . Keith Chegwin even."  ;D

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 03/23/05 at 5:38 am

I love the song Suddenly.

Written By: kairi747 on 03/23/05 at 2:23 pm

Very good songs both...if memory serves, 'Suddenly' was from the film 'Xanadu' which was slammed by the critics...

i always liked the song suddenly.  also loved the movie xanadu - being a big onj fan. 

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/23/05 at 2:47 pm

I believe his first "Hit" here in America was Devil Woman from 1976. I've always liked his stuff..."A Little In Love" from 1981 is another good one :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/23/05 at 3:56 pm

I like all of his songs that have been mentioned so far.  Another good one to add to the list is "Dreaming" (1981-ish)...it was featured in the movie Endless Love.  :)

Written By: whistledog on 05/27/06 at 11:42 pm

During his teen idol years in the 50's and 60's, Cliff Richard only had two US Top 40 hits with "Living Doll" and "It's All in the Game"

Here in Canada, he had a whole handful of Top 40's in the 50's and 60's.  I believe "Summer Holiday" was his biggest hit here. 

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/28/06 at 12:19 am

This will probably sound weird but wasn't he supposed to be a life long virgin?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/28/06 at 1:05 am

This will probably sound weird but wasn't he supposed to be a life long virgin?
That is what I have heard too.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/28/06 at 1:30 am

When I first heard that I though of the Cliff Roberts- the old MCI guy. I wonder if it was on purpose or he unlucky in love

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/28/06 at 1:33 am

When I first heard that I though of the Cliff Roberts- the old MCI guy. I wonder if it was on purpose or he unlucky in love
One website describes him as Asexual, probably the not interested kind.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/28/06 at 1:44 am

On tv tonight, PBS was running a membership drive and were airing Cliff Richard The World Tour. My first exposure to him was the duets with Olivia Newton John on Xanadu. Watching him tonight made me realize what an awesome talented performer he is. He was great and he loves to pay homage to performers/musicans that have paved the way and been inspiration as he did with the Everly Brothers and Elvis. It was most excellent and I'm sorry i didn't appreciate him in the last 4-5 decades  8)

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 05/28/06 at 6:16 am

Suddenly is a really good song.

Check for new replies or respond here...