inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mini Pops

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/27/05 at 4:25 pm

Anyone here heard of the Mni Pops?  They were a band of kids who did covers of songs during the 80's.

Subject: Re: Mini Pops

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/27/05 at 4:27 pm

Anyone here heard of the Mni Pops?  They were a band of kids who did covers of songs during the 80's.
I have a faint recollection of Mini Pops, was a TV programme or a collective of children just singing songs on stage and releasing records?

Written By: Paul on 03/27/05 at 4:52 pm

Aye...remember it well...

It was commissioned by (the then recently launched) Channel 4 in 1983 and featured kiddies murdering performing hits of the day...

No-one was safe...Bananarama, Kajagoogoo and Toni Basil (eh?) all had their small impersonators at some stage...

But the programme is remembered for more sinister reasons...Channel 4 received so many complaints from viewers about portraying kids as 'sex objects' (sometimes they would appear near-naked...) and they believed it would provide TV goggling fodder for 'the dirty old men brigade'...

So it was hastily whipped off the air the following year never to be seen again (apart from the odd clip on those 'TV Hell' run-downs...)

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/27/05 at 4:57 pm

Aye...remember it well...

It was commissioned by (the then recently launched) Channel 4 in 1983 and featured kiddies murdering performing hits of the day...

No-one was safe...Bananarama, Kajagoogoo and Toni Basil (eh?) all had their small impersonators at some stage...

But the programme is remembered for more sinister reasons...Channel 4 received so many complaints from viewers about portraying kids as 'sex objects' (sometimes they would appear near-naked...) and they believed it would provide TV goggling fodder for 'the dirty old men brigade'...

So it was hastily whipped off the air the following year never to be seen again (apart from the odd clip on those 'TV Hell' run-downs...)

Did any of the young 'uns became on to better things?

Written By: Paul on 03/27/05 at 5:00 pm

Did any of the young 'uns became on to better things?

Not sure...one or two may have ended up in C-list soaps...

(But I know one of the St Winifred's school choir ended up in 'Corrie' for a bit...not sure of her name tho'...)

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/27/05 at 5:03 pm

Not sure...one or two may have ended up in C-list soaps...

(But I know one of the St Winifred's school choir ended up in 'Corrie' for a bit...not sure of her name tho'...)

I do remember Junior Showtime, which had Bonnie Langford and Joe Longthorne (remember him?)

Check for new replies or respond here...