inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1980 something/ Remember when...

Written By: Xer on 03/31/05 at 10:50 pm

Remember when there wer no remotes, or microwwaves, or CD's.  What do you remember most about change in the 8o's?

Subject: Re: 1980 something/ Remember when...

Written By: bj26 on 04/01/05 at 8:13 am

I tried to copy an album into a microset recorder and listen to it with a little earplug phone in just one ear.  Kind of a precursor to the MP 3 of today, same size more or less anyway :-\\

Written By: Howard on 04/01/05 at 2:24 pm

Everything was so simple back then,now today everything is complicated.

Written By: joedeertae on 04/01/05 at 2:37 pm

there was no compuer at your house  :o much less a conection to the World Wide Web!

Written By: Howard on 04/01/05 at 2:40 pm

there was no compuer at your house  :o much less a conection to the World Wide Web!

Yeah Joe.everything was mostly small computers and little tiny squares on Atari Systems

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 04/04/05 at 5:11 am

I remember sitting up half the night, copying cassette tapes for my friends. My parents spent a similar ammount of time dubbing videos. So easy now, to just stick 2 CDs/DVDs in the burner.
I also remember my 1st computer in 1989. It was a Tandy CoCo3 with a tape drive! :o

Written By: Xer on 04/04/05 at 6:39 am

I remember when our Jr. High got thier first computer.  It was an Apple and we all had to share it.  I also remember my nieghbors were always the first ones to get anything new, so they invited to see Karate Kid on thier new V.C.R.  I think back then it was like 1,200 for one now they're so cheep.  Until recently I was useing only to V.C.R and now I have more DvD's than VHS's.  I'm always abouyt 10 years behind.

Written By: Sugafairey on 04/04/05 at 11:59 am

I remember having to go to my neighbours house to watch video's because we had a Betamax player and they didn't make rental video's for them, my dad was so cross that he didn't get a VHS. Hahaha.

Oh, and VCR's used to be toploaders.

Does anyone remember how large the Walkman was when it came out? It was like a yellow brick!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/04/05 at 12:36 pm

I remember old TV sets with dials, Beta, and laserdis. How long did laserdisc last for, before being phased out?  ???

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/04/05 at 2:58 pm

I vaguely recall one of our TV's that was fairly simple (i.e. without the huge silver knobs or an antenna! Hehe), except for the fact it didn't have a remote. It was one of the last kind of "tune it yourself" TVs -- it was made in about 1985 and we had it until the early 90's.

Oh yeah, and our circa 1983 VCR (which lasted over 10 years) had a little tray with Play and all the other buttons, that retracted from the main machine. The clock was also to the right side of the tape slot, unlike below it, like the slimmer 90's/2000's ones are.

Both of those - especially the non-remote control TV are hard to imagine now! :D

I remember sitting up half the night, copying cassette tapes for my friends. My parents spent a similar ammount of time dubbing videos. :o

I'm probably one of the few people in 2005 who still does both those things, LOL!!

Written By: bumperskittles on 04/04/05 at 5:37 pm

I remember when cassette tapes were the better thing to have compared to 8 track & vinyl. I did give in and started buying cassettes, but I was still all about my records!

The t.v. that we had was a combination tv, radio & record player. It was sooo big it took up most of the living room. Oddly enough, it did have a remote, but it was corded, so you had to be standing right in front of the darned thing to use it, lol!! Senseless!!  :D

Written By: mitch1987 on 04/04/05 at 8:53 pm

Yeah I remember a friend having the first VCR and it was BETAMAX and it to had a corded remote. It was a huge heavy thing but it was great to be able to see Star Wars (taped off TV of course) and others. I also remember how big microwaves were. Its amazing how fast technology changes. How soon will people start to think thats Cd's and DVDs are old?

Written By: wing on 04/04/05 at 9:38 pm

I'm from the UK, but if your American, I'm not sure if you have Starburst? Back in my time they were called Opal Fruits. I had a Sega Master System I. It came with a built-in game. I remember playing teenage mutant ninja turtles on a games console, think it was the atari. Game gears - the handheld console the size of a playstation. Paw Paw bears. HeMan. Thundercats. Sesame Street on channel4 at 12 noon. Waiting to grow up...

Written By: jymsmth on 04/05/05 at 7:38 am

My nearest town,Odessa NY,had a videodisc rental store! the place gave you a machine and 2 videodiscs for 5 bucks a night.This machine had a stylus,like a record player and the discs were 12" in diameter!

Written By: eightiesfan on 04/05/05 at 12:17 pm

I remember when you had to wait about a year after a movie came out in theaters before it was released on video - now it's only about 3-4 months.

Written By: Sugafairey on 04/05/05 at 12:19 pm

I remember when we only had 3 TV channels in England...

Written By: Winter on 04/06/05 at 12:04 am

Someone mentioned it earlier...
We had junior high and not middle school.

Written By: Arvig on 04/06/05 at 2:04 am

Bah, I was a computer geek then too.  I had an Apple II+ until about 1985 when I started college, and then had a Macintosh.  And well, I did at least hit a few local BBSes in my day.  :)

Although now I use an AMD 64 based PC, been a long while since I've used a Macintosh.

Written By: Arvig on 04/06/05 at 2:11 am

I remember when we only had 3 TV channels in England...

We were kind of late in our neighborhood to get cable, but we just had the basic 3, 4 if you count PBS at our house until...1983 maybe?  I think so, I remember inviting a friend over to stay the night and watch Porky's and other movies on HBO, and I think that was 1983...I remember we had cable for less then a year, and even though his family was a wee bit wealthier then mine, they didn't have cable yet.

Oh, this would have been about this time too...I remember seeing Wargames in the theatre, and just HAVING to save up to get a modem.  :D  And then thinking I was hot stuff because my modem could dial out at both 1200 and 300 baud.  :)

(As an aside, the stuff they used for the home computer in the film Wargames was actually kind of outdated even for when the movie was filmed, they just used it because it looked good....his actual computer would have been 6 or 8 years old or more when it was filmed)

Check for new replies or respond here...