inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Got a question

Written By: OliverDK on 04/01/05 at 12:58 pm

I'm writing for a local music magazine, with my own column called the "Retro Corner" and my boss what's it to be about me interviewing musicians about their record collections, I want it to be more historic in concept.

My question is this:

If you were in your late teens, early twenties, what would you rather read about; some dude's record collection, or the history behind your music.

Every month we have a main theme for the issue, in April it's rock, so I wrote a piece about Hard Rock Ballads, next month the theme might be Electronic Music, so I'd write a piece about Kraftwerk, Jean-Michel Jarre and the others who started that genre.

Wouldn't that be more interesting, that reading about some old, semi-forgotten musician's record collection.

Subject: Re: Got a question

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 04/01/05 at 1:28 pm

what would you rather read about; some dude's record collection, or the history behind your music.
Do you think you could possibly fit both into the space of one column? IMO, one's record collection could well equal one's musical influences, so there's no reason why the two couldn't fit together.

Written By: OliverDK on 04/01/05 at 1:58 pm

Do you think you could possibly fit both into the space of one column? IMO, one's record collection could well equal one's musical influences, so there's no reason why the two couldn't fit together.

It's a good idea, but I've only got 1,200-1,400 words, I doubt there'll be room enough for both though.

Written By: jymsmth on 04/05/05 at 7:30 am

I'm writing for a local music magazine, with my own column called the "Retro Corner" and my boss what's it to be about me interviewing musicians about their record collections, I want it to be more historic in concept.

My question is this:

If you were in your late teens, early twenties, what would you rather read about; some dude's record collection, or the history behind your music.

Every month we have a main theme for the issue, in April it's rock, so I wrote a piece about Hard Rock Ballads, next month the theme might be Electronic Music, so I'd write a piece about Kraftwerk, Jean-Michel Jarre and the others who started that genre.

Wouldn't that be more interesting, that reading about some old, semi-forgotten musician's record collection.

The shame is in "semi-forgotten".I'm curious as to your target audience or readership.

Written By: OliverDK on 04/07/05 at 2:07 pm

The shame is in "semi-forgotten".I'm curious as to your target audience or readership.

Our magazine are found at record stores, cafés, discos and dance clubs, so most of our readers are in their late teens to early twenties, and just for the record; I'm not an american - though my dad is - and used the term "Semi-forgotten" simply because that was what came closest to the term I would have used in Danish.

Check for new replies or respond here...