inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: IF you could go back.....

Written By: Jennifer028 on 04/01/05 at 2:55 pm

If you could go back into the 80's and grab the things you had in the 80's but lost or threw away..what would you go back and get?  (hope that makes sense)

Mine:

My Cabbage patch kid (my grandma went to alot of trouble to get me one back when they were hot and toys r us was sold out for months)

My Cricket doll

My sticker books with all the scratch and sniff stickers

A few nintendo games I've lost

A muppets Christmas album I had 

My Strawberry Shortcake doll  :)

Subject: Re: IF you could go back.....

Written By: ADH13 on 04/01/05 at 2:59 pm

My JEANS!!

I think I might have the Muppets Christmas album you're talking about...
Does it have that funny "Twelve Days Of Christmas" with Miss Piggy...

"Fiiiiiive.... goooollld....riiiiingggs.. ba-dum-bum-bum!!"

Written By: Jennifer028 on 04/01/05 at 3:02 pm

My JEANS!!

I think I might have the Muppets Christmas album you're talking about...
Does it have that funny "Twelve Days Of Christmas" with Miss Piggy...

"Fiiiiiive.... goooollld....riiiiingggs.. ba-dum-bum-bum!!"

OH Jeans...good one...I would like my old Guess jeans too, probably too small though..

Yes thats the one..I've downloaded that song off the internet, I play it for my 3 year old  ;D

Written By: Howard on 04/01/05 at 3:09 pm

basically an old 2XL I once had a long time ago

Written By: bj26 on 04/01/05 at 3:12 pm

I'd go back for one thing, my '79 Yamaha SX 750 Special   :)  that I sold in '89 - un eror grande  :(

Written By: Howard on 04/01/05 at 3:15 pm

Ernie and Bert sing along record

Written By: cagesundercage on 04/01/05 at 3:50 pm

i want my betamax SL-2700 back more than anything.

http://www.fridgemagnet.org.uk/uploads/save_betamax.jpg

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 04/01/05 at 4:31 pm

steal a 1982 pontiac trans-am...(from knight rider)...few nintendo games...and aunthentic Miami Vice clothes...and soem actuall 80's "clothes" fromt he 80's....GO ON A SHOPPING SPREE!!!!

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/01/05 at 4:38 pm

Cool thread (I'm shocked it wasn't me that posed this question, LOL!).

I've posted at length elsewhere how much I'd like my own DeLorean time machine to go back and, among other things, make copies of video and audio tapes we had in the late 80's that either got lost, taped over, eaten, etc.

I would just snap up the originals if I could, but that (hypothetically--if time travel worked like it seems to in the BTTF movies) might affect the "new" timeline. If I just got into my old house while we were, say, on vacation, made the copies, left the originals where they were and went back to 2005, the originals would still run the same course they did in the original history, thus preventing a paradox.

I'd also pick up some old toys, Nintendo games, and things like that. Before I left though, I'd probably buy a ton of various things "new" to take back home with me, so I could have 80's stuff without their natural aging.

Boy, I've thought about this too much, LOL! :D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/02/05 at 10:33 am

My G.I. Joe action figures.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/02/05 at 2:02 pm

An authentic Red, White And Blue leather ABA Basketball. I sold it it 1987 for $200 after spending $50 to buy it in 1982...now they're worth a lot more :-\\

Written By: ADH13 on 04/02/05 at 2:45 pm

basically an old 2XL I once had a long time ago

Hey Howard... if you really wanna visit him...  I had one of those too

www.2xlrobot.com

Written By: Doc Brown on 04/02/05 at 6:49 pm

My old Commodore 64 and all the classic Broderbund games! Man, I miss Choplifter, Lode Runner, Bungeling Bay, Karateka, and I became an undisputed Master Detective playing 4 different versions of Carmen Sandiego. Maybe that's why I can find just about anything online now!  :D

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: guido on 04/02/05 at 10:15 pm

If I could go back to the 80's, I would love to have the chance to go back and get some sense.  I partied away most of that decade after high school.  I finally got my first college degree last year and working on my second.  Many, many memories, but what a waste.

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 04/03/05 at 6:11 am

Everything

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/03/05 at 6:42 am

Hey Howard... if you really wanna visit him...  I had one of those too

www.2xlrobot.com

I also had a toy robot as well, it was an Omnibot.

http://www.robotswanted.com/robotgallery/tomy/

Written By: Howard on 04/03/05 at 7:36 am

Wow,Odyssey Thank You So Much.I was just listening to the sound files and boy,did it ever bring back so many memories.I cannot believe that it's been almost 25 years since I played with a 2XL.I think I'm gonna ask Robin if I can buy one from ebay.I'm so desperate to use one right now. :)

Written By: bumperskittles on 04/03/05 at 9:08 am

My Darci dolls, little thinker tapes, my 45 records of Olivia Newton John, Pat Benetar, Quarterflash & Duran Duran, and my docksider shoes that had friendship pins all my friends and I made on them!!

Written By: Xer on 04/03/05 at 7:07 pm

I would grab a Wonder Woman barbie doll, or my Wizard of Oz action figure dolls complete with the Emerald castle and yellow brick walk way.  They were trashed and probably worth some money now.

Written By: pcxo on 04/08/05 at 5:38 pm

interesting question.....except I saved a lot of my "meaningful" 80's stuff :)  I still have my jelly belly doll, my sticker books, my thumbelina doll.... the only thing that didn't get saved was my ssc dolls and barbies, but I gave those away in '92 I think, to someone when we cleaned out the basement.  I would have to say, that I would go back and get my jewelry, perfumes that I loved, purses and make-up. 

Written By: Howard on 04/09/05 at 2:03 pm

I wish I could get back my childhood.But,you know you can't go back but I see my childhood memories was a part of growing up. :)

Written By: Triviamom on 04/09/05 at 7:52 pm

......my virginity, LOL!

A killer pair of Calvin Kleins, my high school hoodie, and other cool clothes I had.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/09/05 at 9:46 pm

My mind!

Tanya

Written By: eightiesfan on 04/11/05 at 7:51 am

my Smurfs piggy bank

my 45-single of "Eat It" by Weird Al

my pink tank top with lace

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/11/05 at 9:47 am

My Masters of The Universe action figure collection.

Written By: G on 04/14/05 at 3:20 pm

MY favorite thing from the 80's that I would like to get back is my music collection....I am now 30 and having to download it all off the net to get it back........Man I miss those days

Written By: NullandVoid on 04/14/05 at 5:07 pm

All of my dolls, especially my barbies and spectras

My very first EZ bake oven (I went through 3 of those thing)

My Get along Gang tea set and slushie maker

My little fuschia Casio keyboard

My Atari!!

My first diary and all of my "slam books"

Written By: Carrie on 04/14/05 at 10:36 pm

My sticker books with all the scratch and sniff stickers
My Strawberry Shortcake doll  :)

These two for sure.

I love the old Scratch N Sniff sitckers. They don't make them anymore. Not the old ones like they used to at least.

I wish I still had my Strawberry Shortcake and all of her friends dolls. Ones I did keep were my Care Bear ones.

I wish I would have kept a lot of things I had back then. I think of all of the stuff I collected... from Duran Duran stuff to lip gloss, it would be cool to see some of it again. I hate how I got rid of all of it. Old tapes included.

I would love to go back and change some things in my life as well... who doesn't though?

Written By: poison7j on 04/15/05 at 12:27 am

:)I guess I would like to have all my tapes back..I had a huge music collection..It just seemed to get lost through out the years..I would like to have my posters too..I had a lot of Bret Michaels and poison, ratt, motley crue, GnR, etc... 8) 8)

Written By: bumperskittles on 04/15/05 at 7:05 am

My first diary and all of my "slam books"

Good one!!! Slam books were great, we had a whole bunch of them in school!!   ;D

Written By: vesap on 04/20/05 at 12:36 pm

My Green BMW 1502, Winchester 9422 XTR rifle, my collection of Frisbees...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/20/05 at 12:54 pm

My sanity.

Cat

Written By: Climber on 04/20/05 at 11:16 pm

I had all my posters rolled up in a long tube when my parents moved out of our old house.  It was stuffed in the corner of my old room in the basement (walls were not finished & you could go under the stairs from my room) and I totally forgot about it.  So bummed when I remembered!  :\'(  Also want my 7th & 8th grade yearbooks back.  Had a "friend" who trashed one of them & I'm pretty sure she swiped the other one.  >:( :\'(

Written By: brudjazz on 04/20/05 at 11:18 pm

I would pick up my:

parachute pants
rubik's cube
go-kart
atari 2600 system
camaflouged muscle shirt
garbage pail kids cards
baseball cards
dungeons & dragons manuals, modules and dice
10-speed bike

SO MANY THINGS I can't recall right now.

Written By: kimls1 on 04/29/05 at 7:17 pm

My atari
albums
diary
all my clothes
toys
cabbage patch doll
strawberry shortcake bed set......

everything!!!!!!  :\'(

Written By: STEFANIE on 04/29/05 at 8:36 pm

IF I COULD GO BACK IN TIME I WOULD HAVE KEPT MY STRAWBERRY SHORT CAKE DOLLS /AND MY STICKER AUBLM AND SOME OTHER COOL STUFF .I HAVE ALL MY CABBIGE PATCH DOLLS PUT AWAY NICE IN A BOX .I HAD BABY ALIVE I GOT MINE IN THE 70S AND ALL YOU HAD TO DO WHEN YOU FEED HER WAS PUT THE FOD ON THE SPOON TO HER MOUTH AND SHE AT IT THAT WAY .MUST HAVE CHANGE IT DURING THE 8OS I THINK IT COOL GOING IN THE STORE AND SEEING ALL THE STUFF COMMING BACK EVEN SOME OF THE CLOTHES I WORE AS A TEEN ARE BACK .IM GLAD I GREW UP THEN INSTED OF THE 90S  :)

Written By: Badger on 04/30/05 at 5:38 am

would have to be my Harrington Jacket

Written By: robby76 on 04/30/05 at 6:33 am

All my toys... GI Joes, Star Wars, Asterix figs, Thundercats, MASK, He-man, Smurfs.

All my VHS tapes that we use to tape absolutely everything on... rare cartoons, sitcoms, tv movies from the late 70's and 80's. We bought one of the first VHS recorders and we literally had 100's of tapes back in the day.

And my HOUSE!!! I want my huge house and garden where me and my bro & sisters ran around all day barefoot!

Written By: whistledog on 04/15/06 at 3:56 am

I want back all my old "Masters of the Universe" and "Super Powers" figures back.

In the early 90's, my Uncle was having a yardsale, so I put some of my old toys in the sale to make money so that I could buy some baseball cards.  I was so greedy, that I sold the whole box of "Super Powers" action figures for $3.  There must have been 15 of them in there  :\'(

Written By: Electric Youth on 04/15/06 at 4:00 am

A bunch of rare video tapes    :D

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/15/06 at 4:02 am

My sense at wonder at the wider world. When I was a kid, I thought going to Disneyland was akin to going to the Land of Oz. It's nearly 14 years later, and I still haven't visited Disneyland, and if I go it won't be anywhere near as magical an experience. Instead I'll probably be worried about accomodation, and the long lines of crowds. So I'll never have the magical experience of visiting it as a wide-eyed 7-year old.

Written By: robby76 on 04/15/06 at 5:14 am

Is there still an Ewok Village at Disneyland? I've never been to America but always hear things about an Ewok Village there. I'd love to go if there is or was one.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/15/06 at 9:45 am

Is there still an Ewok Village at Disneyland? I've never been to America but always hear things about an Ewok Village there. I'd love to go if there is or was one.

Star Wars was 20th Century Fox, so I don't understand why they'd have an Ewok Village there, except for a gimmick. Don't know completely myself (anyone?), but highly doubt it.

There used to be a 20th Century Fox Studios amusement park in Sydney (I visited in 2000), but unfortunately it closed down a few years ago.

Written By: robby76 on 04/15/06 at 12:21 pm

I'm convinced there's one so did a Google search... I came up with this...

http://allearsnet.com/tp/mgm/m_startours.htm

http://www.pansophist.com/mgmst1.htm

Looks like it's still going too! I must have a pilgrimage one day! I love Ewoks!

Written By: Haman on 04/16/06 at 12:51 pm

If I could go back I would rescue many of my toys, and some music records too.

Written By: zcrito on 04/16/06 at 6:17 pm

My sense at wonder at the wider world. When I was a kid, I thought going to Disneyland was akin to going to the Land of Oz. It's nearly 14 years later, and I still haven't visited Disneyland, and if I go it won't be anywhere near as magical an experience. Instead I'll probably be worried about accomodation, and the long lines of crowds. So I'll never have the magical experience of visiting it as a wide-eyed 7-year old.

Disneyland in Los Angeles. Go in the morning - the weather's mild and it's not as crowded. As for hotels, stay miles away from Anaheim if you like, there are plenty of places to park at Disneyland.  :)

Written By: Dynomutt on 04/16/06 at 10:32 pm

How long do we have to grab everything?!
IA with grabbing my Sticker Albums and I'd also grab my Winnie the Pooh & Tigger rug. Other things I'd grab:
*E.T. toys (light-up finger)
*ColecoVision and games: especially Smurfs game
*Video tape of Back to the Future, original release. I'm convinced that prior to any ideas of sequels, the movie had a different ending.
*Garfield sleeping bag
*Bags (Cabbage Patch Kids, Ballerina type bags)
*Garbage Pail Kids Stickers
*books, belts, velcro shoes, record player, and probably anything else I could find! :)

Written By: Bulldog85 on 05/10/06 at 1:35 am

It's gotta be my old baseball, basketball and football cards!

Written By: Watcher29 on 05/10/06 at 8:39 am

My Masters of The Universe action figure collection.

If I could get anything from the '80s back, it would probably be this.

Written By: northerngirl on 05/10/06 at 9:13 am

I would do it the same all over again.

Check for new replies or respond here...