inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Media Violence in the 80s

Written By: DevoRule on 04/05/05 at 1:45 pm

Come on, it wasn't nonexistent even though there was less than in times before or after.  What kind was there?  It seems like there was a lot of gunshots before 1996 when the school shootings happened.

Subject: Re: Media Violence in the 80s

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/05/05 at 1:47 pm

the 80s were pretty tame with TV violence. the A-team must have shot over a thousand rounds of ammo in each episode and no one got killed.

Written By: DevoRule on 04/05/05 at 2:00 pm

the 80s were pretty tame with TV violence. the A-team must have shot over a thousand rounds of ammo in each episode and no one got killed.

Yeah, then 1992 messed everything up with trash like Ren and Stimpy.  1997 took it to another level with "South Park". 

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/05/05 at 2:10 pm

what! ren and stimpy are gods!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/05/05 at 2:34 pm

All though bullets were fired on A-Team, none of the bad guys got killed, Miami Vice is a different story all together. As for which decade has the most TV violence, I would say the 90's.

Written By: DevoRule on 04/05/05 at 8:12 pm

All though bullets were fired on A-Team, none of the bad guys got killed, Miami Vice is a different story all together. As for which decade has the most TV violence, I would say the 90's.

It's sorta a tossoff between 90s and 2000s, although in shows before 1994 I don't notice much of it.  1994 brought ER (I guess that's technically not violence) and 1997 brought us South Park.  Also, there is Celebrity Deathmatch and Nick was a lot more gross, although not really much more violent, back in the day. 

The worst time for TV violence I'd say would either be 1994-1995 or 1998-2001.  It's toned down a bit as of late on the more popular networks, although it's probably only gotten worse on second-rate channels. 

As for language, I couldn't care less.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/05/05 at 10:10 pm

what! ren and stimpy are gods!

yea, I used to love Ren & Stimpy.

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 04/06/05 at 12:02 pm

yea, I used to love Ren & Stimpy.

Absolutely!  Im glad they came out with the box set of the first season.  Ren and Stimpy are definitely on the crude side but so hilarious.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/06/05 at 8:50 pm

Ren and Stimpy rock!

Check for new replies or respond here...