inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: In the United States, what was bigger in the 80s: Hair Metal or New Wave?

Written By: DevoRule on 04/05/05 at 8:28 pm

My conception is out West and in the late 80s, particularly 1987-1990, hair bands ruled, whereas 1980-86 and out East it was all about the Wave.  Of course, there was some mixing.  Overall I'd say in the US hair metal was slightly bigger, although New Wave is probably more "eighties".

Subject: Re: In the United States, what was bigger in the 80s: Hair Metal or New Wave?

Written By: Dagwood on 04/05/05 at 8:32 pm

Hair Metal, IMO.  Then again that was what I listened to.  I may be a little biased.

Subject: Re: In the United States, what was bigger in the 80s: Hair Metal or New Wave?

Written By: McDonald on 04/05/05 at 8:57 pm

Hair metal was probably bigger, but New Wave was better and of higher value as far as feats of artistic musical production. XTC, Talking Heads, Echo and the Bunnymen... etc, are of a much higher quality (artistically speaking) than Def Leppard or Ozzy Osbourne.

These are only my impressions, so I hope no one is offended.

Written By: Arvig on 04/06/05 at 2:19 am

Hair metal was probably bigger, but New Wave was better and of higher value as far as feats of artistic musical production. XTC, Talking Heads, Echo and the Bunnymen... etc, are of a much higher quality (artistically speaking) than Def Leppard or Ozzy Osbourne.

These are only my impressions, so I hope no one is offended.

Out of those two, among my friends personally I'd lean toward New Wave more so then hair metal, although plenty of kids in the same school I just was friendly with but didn't really hang out with would have been into hair metal much more then wave, and a couple would have liked both equally.  For the record I was in Seattle from about late 1980 to 1985, Portland, Oregon/Vancouver, Wa from late 1985 to 1992 or so.  But anyway I didn't see either as predominate as much as some guys I knew liking more wave then hair metal, some more hair metal then wave, me tending slightly toward the former.  But then again my friend Jeremy in Seattle tended to have really eclectic tastes, it was almost hard to keep up with what he was into at any one time.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/06/05 at 9:09 am

Hard to compare since they occured in different time frames.  I'd say the clothing style for the hair band  era (jean jackets with patches) was much more widespread than anything from the new wave era was during the same time frame. 

Musicwise I prefer the new wave music so maybe I'm biased, but I think it encompassed a much wider range in style than the hairbands, which all shared a similar sound.  Hard to distinguish whether it was Warrant or Styper on the radio, but Greg Kihn and the Cars would be a little easier to tell apart.  Strange that the new wave era seems to be put down as style over substiance, yet the bands that followed were strictly style with no substance whatsoever.

Check for new replies or respond here...