inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Split Enz or Crowded House?

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 04/06/05 at 8:16 am

:-\\ I love them both!

Subject: Re: Split Enz or Crowded House?

Written By: krakboi on 04/06/05 at 4:21 pm

Split Enz all the way.  Crowded House was a little to easy on the ears if you know what I mean.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/06/05 at 9:20 pm

Crowded House

Tanya

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 04/07/05 at 6:03 am

Split Enz all the way.  Crowded House was a little to easy on the ears if you know what I mean.

I'm with you on that one....if it weren't for  "Into Temptation", "Private Universe", "When You Come", "Four Seasons In One Day"....

Written By: Triviamom on 04/08/05 at 3:29 pm

Weren't they basically the same band?

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 04/08/05 at 7:33 pm

Weren't they basically the same band?
Not, really, no!
They had 1 of the same lead singers (Neil Finn, no Tim in CH) and the same drummer (Paul Hester, R.I.P)  CH were somewhat less adventurous in their musical style.

Written By: ktelqueen on 04/08/05 at 7:35 pm

i like both but definitely prefer Crowded House  :)

Written By: Badger on 04/30/05 at 5:33 am

Tim Finn was in Crowded house appearing on the Woodface album as a member of the band, he also co-wrote a lot of material on the album including "Weather with you" and "Four seasons in one day".

Written By: mandamoo on 04/30/05 at 7:23 am

Split Enz by a whisker

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 05/01/05 at 1:48 am

Tim and Neil could sit in a bucket of paint and read the alphabet and I would buy it !

I think both of them are truly talented writers and musicians and love everything they have done since the early 70s - regardless of the name of the band !!

Written By: Todd on 05/01/05 at 2:20 am

Split Enz!  Time and Tide was one of the best albums of the 80s

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/01/05 at 3:06 am

Crowded House

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/07/05 at 8:01 am

Exactly the reason this Aussie chose The Enz  :D

And their music was just so much fun  :)

"True Colours" would have to be one of my all-time favourite albums by any band  :D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/07/05 at 12:04 pm

Since I like them both, I chose 'can't decide'.  :D

Written By: Powerslave on 05/07/05 at 12:49 pm

Split Enz was my favourite band in my early teens. Right up until their penultimate album they were pretty musically adventurous. It's interesting to trace their career because they changed so much. The first three albums were extremely avant-garde. Mental Notes and Second Thoughts are two of the weirdest albums ever made. After Neil Finn joined and began writing songs from them they developed a more commercial pop style but they still had really experimental sections. Conflicting Emotions and C Ya Round however don't sound that different from what Crowded House would become. Crowded House wrote some brilliant pop songs, but I preferred the Enz for their quirkiness. :)

Written By: Quartz on 05/13/05 at 6:15 am

Split Enz gains favor due to Time and Tide.

Written By: iluvthe80s on 05/13/05 at 7:43 am

Can't decide, I love both groups  :)

Written By: bj26 on 05/13/05 at 9:15 am

Though both groups were quite melodic, Split Ends was a bit harder and electronic; Crowded House had a more mature softer sound - can't decide who to vote for  :-\\
                                                                      Split Ends or Crowded House

Written By: hornet on 05/14/05 at 4:06 am

split enz anyday !  ...not that crowded house were bad ...i just liked the Enz style better ...and a bit more sentimental value as well  ;D

Written By: heartstrings on 05/14/05 at 9:36 am

Split Enz .. no doubt in my mind .. much as I love/d CH, the Enz of an Era concert at Festival Hall in Melb was one of the best concerts ever .. and that was even after the 3XY under 18s $5 Sunday arvo concerts .. Enz did it all on their own (well, they probably had some supporting band but I can't remember who).  Anyway, it was when FH was almost THE place to have a concert .. right before/around the same time the Glasshouse and after that, Rod Laver Arena ... took over

Written By: hornet on 05/14/05 at 8:54 pm

hey, i went to one of the"  Enz of an Era" concerts at Festival Hall in Melbourne as well  ;D  ..t'was about 84' from memory...brilliant concert indeed ! 
...that one, and the Robert Plant ( @ glass house ? ) in 83/84 were to 2 of my fav concerts.
"Mushroom Records concert" @ M.C.G in 99' ? was another i thought was great ( and interesting  ;D )

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 05/15/05 at 2:18 am

hey, i went to one of the"  Enz of an Era" concerts at Festival Hall in Melbourne as well  ;D  ..t'was about 84' from memory...brilliant concert indeed ! 

Do you mean Enz With A Bang ? Their final tour ?

If so yes it was 1984.  I went to the Perth one - 8 Oct.  A truly divine concert.

My tik :)

Written By: hornet on 05/15/05 at 2:47 am

correction !..yes, a bang it was  :P

lol @ http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=9026.0;id=5608;image  i believed you  ;)   ...i,umm...never kept mine  :-\\

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/15/05 at 5:46 am

Both were great IMO. But Split Enz were slightly better.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/17/05 at 7:01 pm

I liked Both :)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 05/21/05 at 5:20 am

correction !..yes, a bang it was  :P

lol @  ...i,umm...never kept mine  :-\\

hehehe - I kept every single ticket of every single show I have ever been to.  They have pride of place in their own special photo album !!

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/21/05 at 5:46 am

:-\\ I tend to throw them (tickets) out or lose them after the concert. Suppose it's good to hang onto them  ???

Written By: Nightwing on 05/21/05 at 9:48 am

Crowded House

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/22/05 at 3:05 am

:-\\ I tend to throw them (tickets) out or lose them after the concert. Suppose it's good to hang onto them  ???
There is always a collector of something somewhere that is willing to pay for such a momento, but the problem is finding that collector.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 05/22/05 at 3:59 am

There is always a collector of something somewhere that is willing to pay for such a momento, but the problem is finding that collector.

I would never sell mine. They are my memories. And when I get old - they will prompt my fading memories !!

Written By: whistledog on 12/02/05 at 11:31 pm

Both were very popular here in Canada, but I chose Split Enz.  Their song Six Months in A Leaky Boat was and still is AWESOME! :)

Written By: cables on 12/30/05 at 12:17 pm

Split Enz

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 12/30/05 at 2:07 pm

Split Enz had a few good songs, but my vote goes to Crowded House! :)

Written By: Davester on 12/30/05 at 7:19 pm

I agree with Powerslave's old reply that Crowded House is what Split Enz would have naturally become.  More raw and edgy early-on, tighter and more refined later...

I'll take Crowded House...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/30/05 at 10:59 pm

SPLIT ENZ
I'm listening to Split Enz right now coincidentally!  The Waiata album (1980).  I like Crowded House too, but they didn't have the same kind of eccentric flare you find with Split Enz.  The Finn Bros. continue to write solidly good songs to this day, just not ones I find terribly interesting!

Check for new replies or respond here...