inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What are the 80's to you?

Written By: MarcDaShark on 04/08/05 at 9:40 am

(Just like the topic says,) What are the 80's to you?  Are they your child years?  Your teen years?  The decade that you married?
For me, I was only born in '86 so for me it's not much of a past time, but I just love the 80's pop culture stuff. 

How about you?

Subject: Re: What are the 80's to you?

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/08/05 at 10:00 am

my happy, blissfully ignorant teen years.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/08/05 at 2:48 pm

My infant and toddler years, that's about it, lol.

Written By: cagesundercage on 04/08/05 at 3:13 pm

i was born in 81 so most of my childhood was spent in the 80s.
best time of my life, i must say.

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 04/08/05 at 3:32 pm

Im All Miami Vice years baby!!!

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/08/05 at 4:34 pm

I was only born in '86 so for me it's not much of a past time, but I just love the 80's pop culture stuff. 

Same here - childhood years. I was 8 when they ended (born at the end of 1981), but always held an attachment to them, both when they were going on, as well as now.

Written By: bumperskittles on 04/08/05 at 5:29 pm

The 80's were my childhood & teenage years. My elementary, junior high, and high school years. It was the time when op shorts and izod shirts were cool, 45 records, rollerskating, CHIPs, and Three's Company were totally awesome. Waking up on Saturday Morning to watch cartoons like The Smurfs, Captain Caveman, Jem, The Flintstones, Pee Wee's Playhouse, Schoolhouse Rock, Menudo on ABC, etc., is what what we lived for. Everyone had jordache jeans and benetton shirts, swatch watches, and vans. Madonna, New Edition, Duran Duran, and Depeche Mode played in the background. It was a time of innocence for some of us. I miss the 80's for sure!!  :)

Written By: pcxo on 04/08/05 at 5:31 pm

Well, I was 5 in 1980, so I remember quite a bit.  Happy times:)  Some days, I wish I could go back and experience it all over:)  maybe because I'm approaching 30 and have been reflecting a bit?  

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 04/08/05 at 7:06 pm

I turned 13 in 1989, so the 80s were my childhood through to teenage years. In 1986, I discovered popular music and fashion: tight jeans, bright colours, big hair and lots of gel. I'd come home from school and get dressed up just to walk around the corner to the newsagency, for my copy of Dolly magazine. I spent hours listening to the radio, discovering Eurythmics and the Uncanny X-men, or dancing around my best friend's lounge room to Cyndi Lauper and Culture Club! ;)
Those halycon days were spoiled only by school and by the pressense of my fanatically religious father, who wouldn't allow me to watch music videos and tried to censor everything I listened to. If I learned anything from him, it is that you should always let your kids be kids; they may only have one chance. Me? I relive my childhood, every time I go out to an 80s theme night or concert!  ;D 8)

Written By: MarcDaShark on 04/09/05 at 2:13 pm

More specifically, when I think of the 80's, I think of the music, the fashion, the movies, the TV shows, and the game/computer systems (C64, Atari, SMS, Nintendo).

Those thoughts just create a warm feeling inside of me for some reason.  I was barely a part of the 80's and don't remember even a second of it, but when the thought of it comes to mind, it just creates a nice home inside of me.  A home where I can listen to some New wave records like New Order or Depeche Mode, watch Growing Pains, and play some games on the Commodore.  For some reason, I just find it so fun.

Written By: MarcDaShark on 04/09/05 at 2:16 pm

But I guess those are all some cool things that I can still do today.  So I don't have to say goodbye to them.  :)

Written By: migi on 04/09/05 at 3:53 pm

More specifically, when I think of the 80's, I think of the music, the fashion, the movies, the TV shows, and the game/computer systems (C64, Atari, SMS, Nintendo).

Those thoughts just create a warm feeling inside of me for some reason.  I was barely a part of the 80's and don't remember even a second of it, but when the thought of it comes to mind, it just creates a nice home inside of me.  A home where I can listen to some New wave records like New Order or Depeche Mode, watch Growing Pains, and play some games on the Commodore.  For some reason, I just find it so fun.

That's so well said! I had C64 and Amiga too. Someday I will drag them back to the living room and play those great games again. Emulators suck! I just need a functional joystick.
I was born in 1976 and I remember 80s as a age of innocense. The decade before college and depressing 90s. I guess I had a happly childhood...or time makes memories gold(or how u say it in english?)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/09/05 at 9:45 pm

Both my childhood and beginning teen years (76 baby)

Tanya

Written By: NullandVoid on 04/10/05 at 12:47 am

A big neon and acid washed denim blur.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/10/05 at 4:39 am

The time I learnt to walk, talk, write, eat food... etc

Written By: Justawoman on 04/12/05 at 9:38 am

I was a full blown teenager in the 80's. I graduated in 83.  Geez, it was wild and fun and free. The 80's was about experimenting with drugs, sex, and pushing the envelope to the edge as far as it would go.  Just pure unadulterated fun!!

Written By: Sugafairey on 04/12/05 at 11:30 am

I was born in early 1981, so the 80's were my childhood years. To me, the 80's was a time of fun and was a great decade to be young in because there was so much for the young, culture wise. The 80's on the whole, was a great time for youth!

Written By: poison7j on 04/14/05 at 10:57 am

In 1980s I was between the ages of 5-15yrs old..I mostly enjoyed the later half of the 80s...The music was always my thrill... Every great memory is from those times...  8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/14/05 at 1:40 pm

The dark ages. I was in my 20s, in the service and in a misable marriage.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...