inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best Solo Eagle: Don Henley or Glenn Frey

Written By: woops on 04/11/05 at 10:26 pm

Based on songs I like, I select...

Don Henley: The Boys of Summer, All She Want To Do Is Dance, Birty Laundry

Glenn Frey: The Heat Is On, Smuggler's Blues

Henley  8) Though both are great. The same with The Eagles.

Subject: Re: Best Solo Eagle: Don Henley or Glenn Frey

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/11/05 at 10:34 pm

Based on songs I like, I select...

Don Henley: The Boys of Summer, All She Want To Do Is Dance, Birty Laundry

Glenn Frey: The Heat Is On, Smuggler's Blues

Henley  8) Though both are great. The same with The Eagles.
Frey..though I agree that both were great...I liked Freys Sexy Girl, The Allnighter, The One You Love, All Those Lies, Smugglers Blues, True Love, You Belong To The City...lots more. Henly was cool too, but Frey is better, IMHO ;)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/12/05 at 11:03 am

Don

Tanya

Written By: Sugafairey on 04/12/05 at 11:38 am

Oh, it would be cruel to make me choose!!

The Eagles are my Dad's favourite band, so I grew up listening to all their songs. When I was a teenager, my Dad was in a band and did the Eagles numbers, I did the Linda Ronstadt ones.

If I chose, my Dad might never speak to me again, though my favourite Eagles solo effort is 'All she wants to do is dance'....

Written By: redhead007 on 04/12/05 at 12:38 pm

Don Henley by far. I liked a few of Glenn Frey's songs, but not as many as Henley's:

The Last Worthless Evening, All She Wants To Do Is Dance, Dirty Laundry..... :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/12/05 at 1:46 pm

Don.

Written By: cagesundercage on 04/12/05 at 2:42 pm

don henley.

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 04/12/05 at 3:13 pm

Glenn Frey...You Belong To The City...& The Heat Is On

Written By: Triviamom on 04/12/05 at 3:38 pm

Glenn Frey, but only by a slim margin. I liked the solo work of both guys, but Glenn Frey had a bit more "energy" to his music than Henley did.

Written By: BodaciousBoy on 04/12/05 at 4:01 pm

I always thought of Glenn Frey as a nice guy, a people person. Henley seems so pissy all the time and it shows in his music. There's nothing wrong with it but I like happy music much more, so Glenn wins easily. Even on most of the Eagles hits, I liked Glenn more as he sang lead on some of my favorites, Lyin' Eyes, Heartache Tonight, Tequilla Sunrise, Already Gone, Take It Easy and New Kid In Town, to name a few.

Written By: juruby on 04/12/05 at 4:17 pm

It's hard to decide between Henley and Frey, but I gotta go with Henley.  I lov e his songs "Boys of Summer" Dirty Laundry" and the duet he made with Stevie "Leather and Lace".  But hey I gotta hand it to Frey, he ain't so bad either... I love his song "You belong to the City".

Written By: gord on 04/12/05 at 4:19 pm

What about Joe ;) ? Out of these 2 I'd say Henley :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/12/05 at 4:53 pm

It's hard to decide between Henley and Frey, but I gotta go with Henley.  I lov e his songs "Boys of Summer" Dirty Laundry" and the duet he made with Stevie "Leather and Lace".  But hey I gotta hand it to Frey, he ain't so bad either... I love his song "You belong to the City".
Hey juruby, you're color will show much better if you type the word hot before pink ;) Welcome to this place, nice to have you here :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/14/05 at 6:00 am

Both had some cool songs (in the Eagles, as well as solo), but overall I'd pick Henley.

Although around 1989, he would start declining into adult contemporary hell, he definitely had more hits. Ranging from borderline hard rock (i.e. Dirty Laundry, I will not Go Quietly -- Axl Rose even did backup vocals on that one. How cool is that?!!) to arena rock (Boys of Summer) and pleasant ballads (Not Enough Love in the World, Last Worthless Evening), to many other styles, it's hard to not like him. Plus, I think he's got the catchier singing style - barely, but still.

However, Glenn Frey ain't far behind. I do like that his 80's solo music is usually more 'fun' as opposed to Henley's consistent political commentary. It's also got a little more of an R&B edge as well. My favorite would be "You Belong to the City" which, even though it's sort of a mid-paced ballad, still always seemed tough/cool to me (maybe it's the Miami Vice thing!).

Check for new replies or respond here...