inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Any memories of the fall of the berlin wall

Written By: chaka on 04/12/05 at 2:58 pm

What do you remember of the fall of the berlin wall?
Were you by any chance there in germany when it happened?
What did you feel?

Subject: Re: Any memories of the fall of the berlin wall

Written By: nally on 04/13/05 at 1:56 pm

I was 9 years old when it happened, so I don't remember a great deal about it. :-\\

Written By: Marian on 04/13/05 at 8:21 pm

I thought it was cool.

Written By: CzStyle on 04/13/05 at 9:09 pm

I was 7 or 8 years old, up way past my bed time, innocent to the way the world is, there were people on the television with sledgehammers, and my mother was crying. :P

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/14/05 at 12:41 am

I was just 2 years old so I don't remember it, I was alive though lol.

Written By: migi on 04/14/05 at 2:32 am

Scorpions - Wind of change
That's what comes first in my mind when thinking Berlin's wall break. Though it was released a bit later. Video was great...a little cheesy.

Written By: Xer on 04/20/05 at 9:23 pm

I was in my Senior year in high school and saw all of these images on T.V. of people cramming themselves together and litterally by hand taking down the wall in pieces.  They were on the wall shouting and some were taking pieces with them.  It was wild to believe that could ever happen because of the cold war for so long and that signaled great change.

Written By: Carrie on 04/20/05 at 11:32 pm

I was in my Senior year in high school and saw all of these images on T.V. of people cramming themselves together and litterally by hand taking down the wall in pieces.  They were on the wall shouting and some were taking pieces with them.  It was wild to believe that could ever happen because of the cold war for so long and that signaled great change.
I think I was a senior as well and I remember watching it on TV.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/20/05 at 11:50 pm

I felt great that Germany was now one country again...but felt and still feel bewildered that the liberals don't credit Reagan/Bush Sr. with any of it ???

Written By: Webstor on 04/21/05 at 12:42 am

I was in Junior High.....
We watched it on TV in class.....it was amazing.....

David Hasselhoff was there!

Written By: NullandVoid on 04/21/05 at 1:25 pm

yeah I remember fake pieces of the wall being sold in Downtown Brooklyn and the west village manhattan. :P

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 04/21/05 at 3:28 pm

i was born 1989 in april from what i saw i remeber. Knight Rider star, David Hasseloff had this jacket with flashing lights on it while singing...that was cool

Written By: DevoRule on 04/21/05 at 6:39 pm

Nope, I was a sixth-month old fetus.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/21/05 at 6:55 pm

i seen it on the news while it happened. as a warmongering right wing teen who wanted to join the army and fight commies, i knew that was the end of them. i cried tears of sadness....thinking back now, thank god the cold war is over.

Written By: Chris Fulmer on 04/21/05 at 8:58 pm

I remember watching Peter Jennings live from the wall as it fell.  I was too young to comphehend the full scope of it, but I could tell it was something drastic. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/22/05 at 12:07 pm

I was in Greece at the time and didn't know that it came down until I got home.  :-\\ But, I do a copy of "The Wall: Live at the Berlin Wall" on video (an all-star concert of Pink Floyd's "The Wall").

Cat

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/22/05 at 10:43 pm

I was in the 8th grade! It was amazing to see!

Tanya

Written By: Class of 84 on 04/22/05 at 10:51 pm

I was attending OSU at the time, remember watching Tom Brokow report live, thinking "I'm watching major history here".

Written By: redhead007 on 05/02/05 at 4:30 pm

I was about 4 at the time and man do I wish that I could remember something from it.  :-\\

Written By: Skippy on 05/02/05 at 11:23 pm

The Wall fell? When did this happen?  No, really, I remember it very well. I was both happy and skeptical. I wasn't sure if it was a reunification of Berlin or just a ploy to help the Eastern block economy.

Written By: Zebra on 05/13/05 at 4:55 pm

Hi at all,

I'm German. I was born, grown up and living all times in West-Germany. I was about 18-19 Years old when the wall was broken.
Just 2 years before i was on a (sorry for my english) Shool-trip in Berlin. We visited the eastern side too. From the view of today, it was terrible for a 16-years-old-boy. You went out of the Metro-train and the first you saw was police and military with the guns in the Hand and watching at you like criminals. It was a horrible day. You can not expect how it was for the people not to move where they wan't, not to speak what they wan't - maybe even not to think what they want.
It was a great moment, when the first Trabants (cars in DDR) came across the boarder und you saw the happy faces with the tears of joy.
I cried too a little and a few months later, when i was on holiday on Ibiza i met some people from the new part of Germany and first of all i had to hug them and to share the joy with them....

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/14/05 at 7:24 am

All I know is :

Berlin Wall erected
FussBudget born

Berlin Wall disassembled
FussBudget's son born

Written By: Paul on 05/14/05 at 7:39 am

All I know is :

Berlin Wall erected
FussBudget born

Berlin Wall disassembled
FussBudget's son born

So, no truth in the rumour that they built the thing in order to keep you out?!!

Spooky couple of coincidences, there...

I was on holiday in Czechoslovakia that year, literally months before the whole Iron Curtain went kaput...I had a feeling something was going to happen, but couldn't have envisaged how fast it did...

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/14/05 at 7:50 am

So, no truth in the rumour that they built the thing in order to keep you out?!!

Yep!  Ich Bin Eine Jelly Donut  ;D

Written By: AL-B on 05/14/05 at 11:22 am

I joined the Army under the Delayed Enlistment Program in November of 1988, and started basic training in June of 1989. (I had specifically requested West Germany as my permanent duty station.) After finishing basic and A.I.T. at Ft. Leonard Wood, MO I had a month's leave before shipping off for West Germany. While at home in Nebraska I watched my TV in amazement as one by one the former Warsaw Pact nations each revolted peacefully, climaxing with the fall of the Berlin Wall. I remember saying to my mom, "Well, what are we (meaning the Army) supposed to do now?"
    Little did I know that a mere 7 months later I would actually go to Berlin. My unit was assigned to take a convoy there, and since it was a month or two before the official reunification of Germany, the Soviet troops were still at the East/West German border, and there were also still East German border guards at the Berlin Wall, so I got to at least get some idea of what it was like while it was still occupied. East Germany had fallen into a sad state of disrepair since the end of WWII, and it seemed like they never really fixed anything after the war--just enough to get them by. It was nasty and run down and severely polluted. The whole experience made an impression on me that lasts to this day. After seeing all this first-hand, it made me realize how fortunate we Americans really are and not to take out freedom for granted.
    I made quite a few trips to Berlin after that and, to be honest, I fell in love with the place. I swear, if I won the Powerball I'd have a second home in Berlin. I haven't been back to Germany since I left the Army in 1992, but I've always wanted to go back, if for nothing else to see how much progress they've made in rebuilding the eastern section.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/14/05 at 11:40 am

Hi at all,

I'm German. I was born, grown up and living all times in West-Germany. I was about 18-19 Years old when the wall was broken.
Just 2 years before i was on a (sorry for my english) Shool-trip in Berlin. We visited the eastern side too. From the view of today, it was terrible for a 16-years-old-boy. You went out of the Metro-train and the first you saw was police and military with the guns in the Hand and watching at you like criminals. It was a horrible day. You can not expect how it was for the people not to move where they wan't, not to speak what they wan't - maybe even not to think what they want.
It was a great moment, when the first Trabants (cars in DDR) came across the boarder und you saw the happy faces with the tears of joy.
I cried too a little and a few months later, when i was on holiday on Ibiza i met some people from the new part of Germany and first of all i had to hug them and to share the joy with them....

Wow. You would know better than most of us here the TRUE meaning of what the meant and what it meant when it came down again. BTW, don't worry about your English. You are doing just fine. Willkommen to the message boards.

Cat

Written By: Zebra on 05/14/05 at 3:04 pm

Thanx for your welcome...

I had a second feeling I'll tell you:
I was back in Berlin in 1996 to visit the Love-Parade (the Worlds biggest Techno-Parade). I was walking down a street in Berlin and was fascinated about the city how it changed it's look in only a couple of years. I noticed that there were a lot of construction-areas there. I was walking on a street that seemed to be rather new when i was looking behind a wooden-fence. I realized that i was walking across the old "death-stripe". A small piece of land where the self-shooting-automats was installed and blood-dogs were running around to avoid the people from escape.This was a strange feeling that i can walk on the same place, where years ago people died when they tried to get over there.

Greetings to all

Zebra

Written By: OliverDK on 05/14/05 at 3:45 pm

I grew up in the small, Scandinavian kingdom of Denmark, our only physical border is with Germany, being on vacation in Germany I often saw the Iron Curtain, although never in Berlin, what really scared me was the difference between the two sides; east for the Wall was minefields, barb-wire, armed guards with dogs and gunship helicopters patroling the sky, west of the wall were only platforms for turists.

My most important memory of this date in history was that the Iron Curtain fell on my 18th birthday, as you can imagine we had one hell of a party that night, but another thing I remember, is that my mother and stepdad had been traveling through Europe that summer in our autocamper, and my stepdad had never seen the wall, so on their way back to Denmark my mother suggested that they should go by Berlin, so he could see the wall, my stepdad's answer; "I can always see it" and three short months later the wall fell.

Also, someone mentioned "Wind of Change" by Scorpions, the russian leader Gobathov actually gave "Wind of Change" the credit for inspiring him to Glasnost, or so he said in an interview I once saw, it seems that Scorpions were playing in Moskva and were out seeing the city, on the Red Square a local rock band was playing, Scorpions ended up jamming with them, and played "Wind of Change" for the first time in public, sitting in his office in the Kremlin Gobatchov heard the song, and got inspired by the words, I'm not sure if this is an urban legend, but that's the way I heard it.

Check for new replies or respond here...