inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Christopher Cross - more of a 70's or 80's artist?

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/14/05 at 7:48 am

I was just thinking about this - seems to straddle the line between the singer-songwriter-ish pop of the 70's, and the softer side of 80's pop/rock.

Even though he was big in the early 80's, I would definitely say his image was much more 70's (i.e. I think he was only average looking, and didn't make very many videos - can anyone confirm that?), but some of the songs themselves were more 80's (listen to "All Right" or "Say You'll be Mine" and they've got catchy synthesizers and a very Toto/Fleetwood Mac-ish arrangement).

I also heard that once the 80's got into full swing around 1982/83, that was part of what led to his quick downfall (really quick, apparently! His 1980 album won tons of Grammies, and yet within 5 years, he was considered past his peak). Does anyone know if he did do any videos - or if not, why?

PS: Cheesy as he may be, I definitely prefer him over Air Supply - who he's sometimes lumped in with. "Sailing" is catchy and a bit different for a pop ballad.

Subject: Re: Christopher Cross - more of a 70's or 80's artist?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/14/05 at 10:04 am

70's

Subject: Re: Christopher Cross - more of a 70's or 80's artist?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/14/05 at 10:09 am

80's! He released his first LP in late '79 and it spawned his hits in 1980, 1981. Ride Like The Wind, Sailing, Never Be The Same and Say You'll Be Mine which he had backup from the late great Nicolette Larsen  I remember a video with him and his wife but can't recall what song. He also had a hit in 1983 which was always featured on General Hospital called "Think Of Laura"...he was definately more of an early 80's artist ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...