inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 'Wedding Singer' Transformed Into Musical

Written By: rubixgirl on 04/15/05 at 11:35 am

NEW YORK - "The Wedding Singer," that celluloid celebration of the 1980s starring Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore, has been transformed into a Broadway musical and booked for a New York opening — for April 2006.

No casting has been announced for the stage version of the show, which centers on a young man, Robbie Hart, played in the movie by Sandler, who sings in a wedding band and has been jilted by his fiancee. Despite the setback, Robbie still pines for the perfect girl.

The musical, which has music by Matthew Sklar, a book by Tim Herlihy and Chad Beguelin and lyrics by Beguelin, will have its world premiere at Seattle's The 5th Avenue Theatre, Jan. 31-Feb. 19, it was announced this week. Preview performances begin in New York in March at a theater to be announced.

Subject: Re: 'Wedding Singer' Transformed Into Musical

Written By: MarcDaShark on 04/15/05 at 12:47 pm

I really hate musicals, but since the music in this production might sound very 80s-ish, and it's one of my favorite films, I'll have an open ear for it. 

I hope they make some guy do a Billy Idol imitation at the end.  ;D

Written By: rubixgirl on 04/15/05 at 1:09 pm

I hope they make some guy do a Billy Idol imitation at the end.  ;D

That would be very funny.

Written By: NullandVoid on 04/15/05 at 3:33 pm

Is it me or is Broadway starting to run out of ideas? I just hope this does not turn into a trend. I would hate to see something like "Gigli sings the blues" :P

Written By: rubixgirl on 04/15/05 at 3:37 pm

Is it me or is Broadway starting to run out of ideas? I just hope this does not turn into a trend. I would hate to see something like "Gigli sings the blues" :P
;D

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 04/15/05 at 4:26 pm

I hope they keep the same songs from the movie: "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me?", "Love Stinks", "Somebody Kill Me" and the very sweet song that Robbie sings to his girl on the areoplane. And I hope they keep some of the same hilarious one-liners:
"What are you doing in my Van Halen T-shirt?"
"Don't you speak to Billy Idol like that!"
I personally love a good musical, "We Will Rock You" being one of my favourites. I think The Wedding Singer definitely lends itself to that sort of interpretaion and that it could be huge. Fingers crossed, it will come to Australia. :)

Written By: Woops (Unlogged) on 04/15/05 at 7:53 pm

Hillary Duff you might end up like...  ::)  :D 

She reminds me of Drew Barrymore

Maybe Billy Idol will be himself since he isn't doing anything, that I know of.

As for musicals, I don't care.

Except for Rock Operas (except Rocky Horror) and the "Colored Lights" CD.

Written By: MarcDaShark on 04/15/05 at 10:08 pm

Maybe Billy Idol will be himself since he isn't doing anything, that I know of.

Billy just released a new CD called "Devil's Playground," and will probably be touring with it for the next little while.  I have a copy and it's pretty good.  He tried to make an album that fit in with some of today's music, so you don't get to much of "Retro Billy," but you do get some good stuff.

But since the production is going to be next year, and since Billy lives in New York, he just might play himself if they've included his character.  But I'd be happy to either see the real Billy, or an imitation of him.  :)  He's such a character and it would be hilarious to see someone do an impersonation of him.  Hell, if I had the look, I'd go for his part, considering that I can do his voice and have some experience with theatre.

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 04/16/05 at 6:33 am

But since the production is going to be next year, and since Billy lives in New York, he just might play himself if they've included his character.  But I'd be happy to either see the real Billy, or an imitation of him.  :) He's such a character and it would be hilarious to see someone do an impersonation of him. Hell, if I had the look, I'd go for his part, considering that I can do his voice and have some experience with theatre.

An Australian comic, named Pamela Stephenson  -wife of Billy Connoly and now a psych professor- used to do an halarious impersonation of Billy Idol. I somehow don't think she'd be cast in the role, but perhaps they should hire her as a coach. ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...