inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Remember XLNT Tamales?

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 04/15/05 at 5:51 pm

Does anyone remember these tamales. They might have been around before the 1980's but this is when I started eating them. They were wrapped in a white plastic wrapper. You could either buy a large one or they came in a bag of 3 small tamales. Some gas stations would sell them already hot in a crock pot. These were not like corn husk tamales. They had their own original flavor. I will never forget them. The last time I ate one was in 1995. I bought them at the Albertson's grocery store. I've looked for them over the past ten years but I cannot find them. Does anyone know if these tamales are still made? If they are, where can I find them?

Subject: Re: Remember XLNT Tamales?

Written By: "R" on 05/22/05 at 3:46 pm

;)

OH YEA I REMEMBER THEM AND WAS ACTUALLY TOLD THAT YOU CAN FIND THEM I THE SUPERWALMARTS - MMM GOOD!!!!

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 05/22/05 at 7:39 pm

What part of the country do you live in? I'm in California. Not many walmart supeercenters in my area. But if they sell the XLNT, I will drive hundreds of miles if neccesary to relive a childhood memory. I hope I dont cry when I eat one. LOL!!

Written By: Brian Stutchman on 05/30/05 at 5:02 am

i was in the newest supercenter in north central ohio yesterday and the deli person had no idea what i was talking about...
i'm with you tho: i will go to ANY lengths to get some of these great tamales...
who is the parent company, do we have any idea? email me if you do?
thankx!

Written By: Brian Stutchman on 05/30/05 at 5:19 am

i answered my own question(see post below)...
the parent company now is:
Don Miguel Foods
2125 E. Orangewood Ave.
Anaheim, CA 92806 
Phone: 714-634-8441
Fax: 714-937-0493

I tried to use the contact form on the website but was told i was coming from an
unauthourized domain...don't quite know what that means but...
i am going to send a fax to them in a while, then call tuesday morning...
WE'RE GETTING CLOSER, KIDS!!!
p e a c e

Written By: tiffany on 05/31/07 at 1:37 am

Yes, you can still get them in the grocery stores in California.  My sister lives in Visalia and ships them to me in Missouri.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 06/19/07 at 7:43 am

Yes, you can still get them in the grocery stores in California.  My sister lives in Visalia and ships them to me in Missouri.
You revived a 2 year old thread of mine? Wow. I'm amazed that you even found it. I have an identical thread in the 70's section that I started after this one when I realized they didn't originate in the 80's. More people remembered them in that section.

I finally found them. They have them at Smart & Final here in Modesto.

They don't taste as good as they used to. The filling is a little different.

Written By: Alan on 12/31/07 at 3:08 pm

Does anyone remember these tamales. They might have been around before the 1980's but this is when I started eating them. They were wrapped in a white plastic wrapper. You could either buy a large one or they came in a bag of 3 small tamales. Some gas stations would sell them already hot in a crock pot. These were not like corn husk tamales. They had their own original flavor. I will never forget them. The last time I ate one was in 1995. I bought them at the Albertson's grocery store. I've looked for them over the past ten years but I cannot find them. Does anyone know if these tamales are still made? If they are, where can I find them?

They were around long before the 80's.  I'm an ex-Californian and can remember getting them in the early 60's and my parents got them in the 40's and before.

Written By: Cindy Clary on 03/19/08 at 6:15 pm

They sell them at Stater Brothers and other fine markets in California...  :D

i answered my own question(see post below)...
the parent company now is:
Don Miguel Foods
2125 E. Orangewood Ave.
Anaheim, CA 92806 
Phone: 714-634-8441
Fax: 714-937-0493

I tried to use the contact form on the website but was told i was coming from an
unauthourized domain...don't quite know what that means but...
i am going to send a fax to them in a while, then call tuesday morning...
WE'RE GETTING CLOSER, KIDS!!!
p e a c e

Written By: cecil on 12/31/08 at 9:30 pm

;)

OH YEA I REMEMBER THEM AND WAS ACTUALLY TOLD THAT YOU CAN FIND THEM I THE SUPERWALMARTS - MMM GOOD!!!!

I used to work for Nallley's XLNT Foods in LA back in 1964 as a routesalesman. Nalley's made  the tamales at their plant on 51st and Soto street and they still taste the same. Alex Foods, out of Anaheim, bought the company years later and alex and an investment group purhased Don MIguel who was a company out of San Diego. The tamales are great and I still buy them when I go out of LA on business. good luck!

Written By: Czechmate on 05/09/09 at 11:08 am

I remember them from the 1930s-40s.  Just thought about them and then found this site.  I'm checking Walmart now!

If my memory is correct, firm was run by the Morales brothers, who also ran a sprint car on the Southern california tracks.

Bob

Written By: Valerie on 06/14/09 at 9:17 pm

My grandmother used to work in that plant, tying the plastic tamale packages, when I lived with her in the 50's

Written By: Richard on 08/24/09 at 9:04 pm

I was just thinking of them myself... they were the best. Did a Google search, Xlnt Tamale is still in business, since 1894. Check them out. They sell them at all the major grocery stores in So Cal and a few in No Cal. Idid not see Walmart listed. They have added a pork tamale to the line. Also do you remember the block chili from Xlnt.

Written By: jmgnsl on 10/24/09 at 3:09 pm

Just go to spammerfoods and email or call to find distributors or maybe place an order (probably a case or more) with them directly.

Written By: nedra on 03/09/10 at 4:17 pm

You can get XLNT tamales at all Smart & Final stores in California and Arizona.  We eat them at least twice monthly.  They are the best.  They now come in a package of one dozen and are a little larger than the ones earlier in packages of three.  ENJOY!!

Written By: Scott P on 06/10/10 at 12:14 pm

The brand name shows up in a Fatty Arbuckle short from about 1920!

Check for new replies or respond here...