inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What if the ipod was invented in the 80's?

Written By: Robbo on 04/15/05 at 7:21 pm

Introducing...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/sunnyday81/mjPod_small.jpg

;D

Subject: Re: What if the ipod was invented in the 80's?

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 04/15/05 at 8:08 pm

dude i would be the most "hipest dude" in the 80's ever i would be singing past songs and song that have yet to even come out...i would be the coolest dude iat the club sinc ei know the music by memory...if only since my ipod only has and 80's playlist which is over 250 songs in my ipod...

Written By: JonBender666 on 04/17/05 at 8:26 pm

It would make my hobby of collecting 80s vinyl impossible.

Written By: Kryllith on 04/18/05 at 8:11 am

It would cost $500,000 per unit and would only be available for elite military units.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/18/05 at 10:10 am

Interesting idea - I love hypothetical questions like this!!

Well, it could be one of two scenarios in my mind for how the Ipod would've come out in the 80's:

(1) Maybe technology was advanced about 20 years to where, say, CD's were around in 1966 as opposd to 1986. That way, the Ipod would become popular around 1982-84 (which equates to 2002-04, when it "really" came out).

(2) Someone took an Ipod from 2005 back (in a DeLorean, of course!) to the mid 80's and we could see how it would've been perceived or how technology would've evolved as a result of its presence?

Just think - if it were either one of these, what kind of technology we'd have in the 2005 of that universe! ;)

Seriously though, I think if it did work out that way, people would've liked them, but might've been a little slower to understand how they operated. Today, we're very technological - in other words, it's not just musical technology that's advanced, but for instance, the popularity of the Internet has made other computerized things -- such as the Ipod -- easier to understand as opposed to if it was just beamed into 1985 without them having any "preparation."

Written By: Mr Scrotty on 04/23/05 at 6:55 pm

Erm it was, but, back then, they called it the "Walkman"  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/24/05 at 12:31 am

Erm it was, but, back then, they called it the "Walkman" ;D

Well, but the Walkman has morphed into the Discman (though they still have a few Walkmen here and there) - I think I'm one of the few people in 2005 who use a Walkman.

The other day even, one of my friends/co-workers joked to me (when I busted it out after we closed), "The 80's called, they want you back!" ;D

The funny thing with that, is he's older than me and actually lived the entire 80's!

Written By: AL-B on 04/24/05 at 6:50 pm

Technonlgy would have already have been advanced 20 years further so we'd all be flying around with jetpacks right now.
http://www.furious-d.com/jetpack.jpg

Written By: BCRichrocker on 05/29/05 at 8:23 pm

Erm it was, but, back then, they called it the "Walkman"  ;D

Exactly.

Written By: 90s boy on 05/30/05 at 8:59 am

the ipod would Look like a big brick kinda like cell phones did back then ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/30/05 at 9:09 am

^ I agree and disagree. The Walkman and the Ipod are both portable music devices, but if Ipods were around in 1984/85 just the way they are now, I wonder how they'd be received by everyone.

Technonlgy would have already have been advanced 20 years further so we'd all be flying around with jetpacks right now.

So you're saying we will have jetpacks by 2025? ;D

Written By: Zebra on 05/30/05 at 2:54 pm

The IPod would be unnecessary in the 80s, cause there are only Commodore C64 (or VC20) or Sinclair ZX81 Computers with no connectivity to the pod. ;) Or you got a nice toy and no music cause MP3 was invented 92 i guess.  ::)

Written By: Hello on 05/30/05 at 3:41 pm

The IPod would be unnecessary in the 80s, cause there are only Commodore C64 (or VC20) or Sinclair ZX81 Computers with no connectivity to the pod.

I'm guessing you either weren't around in the 80's, or if you were you spent the majority of time blowing spit bubbles. In the 80's we also had IBM PC's and IBM clones. The systems available were the 8088, 8086. 80286, 80386, and I believe a few 80486's were available in 1989.

Written By: Zebra on 05/30/05 at 3:52 pm

I'm guessing you either weren't around in the 80's, or if you were you spent the majority of time blowing spit bubbles. In the 80's we also had IBM PC's and IBM clones. The systems available were the 8088, 8086. 80286, 80386, and I believe a few 80486's were available in 1989.

Oh yes. I see. Really powerfull machines.  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...