inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80's teens today?

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/17/05 at 3:50 am

Of course it depends on the person, but on average, what would you say most people who were 'median' 80's teens -- born roughly 1966-72 -- are like today in their mid 30's? I think people are seeming youthful longer now (which is comforting to me as I get older!) - video games, which exploded in the early 80's, has its earliest fans over 30 now, same with the original MTV generation.

Because things like that are very youth-oriented, that could stand to be one reason a 30-year old in 2005 seems way less "old" than a 30-year-old in, say 1965.

When I flip on one of those "I Love the 80's" shows on VH1, watch a John Hughes movie, or see a clip of girls at the mall replicating the Madonna look circa 1984, I have to wonder what many of them would be up to. Some have probably "grown up" and started careers, families and maybe outgrew some of it (maybe that explains why I'm always finding cool used stuff in bargain bains at secondhand CD/video shops! :D), while others might just be more adult versions of themselves.

Judging by the 30-somethings I know today, it seems split about half and half, but a little closer to the latter (more than likely, some of the "cooler" 35-year-olds today were the popular high schoolers then). Funnily enough, almost no one I knew around that age when I was little (i.e. babysitters) do I still know today, so I can't compare anyone in those two eras from personal experience.

I do know there's alot of 80's teenagers here, so what's your guys' take on it? ;)

Subject: Re: 80's teens today?

Written By: Xer on 04/17/05 at 10:58 am

I was one for sure dude.  i wasn't popular though I stuck to myself and a few other friends.  I knew some that liked to party though.  That being, I've been talking with others around my age and am finding a split as you have said.  I for one am have mixed emotions about being in my thirties.  (I'll be 34 on the 19) on one hand if I had to do it over I'd lighten up, but thankful that I made it through those years alive and wouldn't go back.  At the same time, I remember how care free the times were, I miss that.  I'm grown up in many ways like working, paying bills, and raising a family, however, I find myself wanting more than that.  I wouldn't go back to my adolescence, but I miss the music, the energy, and the way we used to be wacky at times.  Now when your an adult, you're not expected to do wacky things.  That part I miss, but I noticed that part of me is resurfacing.  I'm struggling with growing older and yet I don't feel that much older.  Now we the 80's teens are in management positions usually or in some kind of authority role and I"ve noticed in the last year or so that commercials are using alot of late 7o's and 80's songs or references to them.  That has to be because we're taking the rains in many areas and we're the ones being targeted to buy, buy, buy.  I do think many have the peter Pan syndrome for shure dude.  ;D

Written By: kairi747 on 04/22/05 at 8:24 am

yes, that would be me!  well, i outgrew the reckless, carefree and fun 80's for a career.  BUT, i had a FUN job because i taught music in an elementary school so i didn't actually have to do the growing up part!  even in college people said i would make a good elem teacher since i'm just a kid myself!  then i went and got married and had two kids and was able to quit my job and go back to the carefree and fun 80's life.  (i did have to cut out the reckless stuff though!)  so, i guess i am just an older version of my 80's self!  and i love it!  my kids LOVE 80's music!  they are 8 & 10!

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/22/05 at 9:03 am

Thanks to the two of ya for the (interesting) replies - can't believe I missed this thread until now. :)

yes, that would be me! well, i outgrew the reckless, carefree and fun 80's for a career. BUT, i had a FUN job because i taught music in an elementary school so i didn't actually have to do the growing up part! even in college people said i would make a good elem teacher since i'm just a kid myself! then i went and got married and had two kids and was able to quit my job and go back to the carefree and fun 80's life. (i did have to cut out the reckless stuff though!) so, i guess i am just an older version of my 80's self! and i love it! my kids LOVE 80's music! they are 8 & 10!

Cool - your kids are like younger "me"s! :) (My parents never tried at all to get me to listen to/like the music they played, I just for some reason, liked it myself.)

Sounds like you've had a fun/happy past 20 years - music & elementary teacher seems like it'd be a nice job to have.

It's funny, but even though I'm probably always gonna be a kid at heart in many ways, I've never really done anything reckless/rebellious (not saying I've been perfect, but I only got suspended from school maybe 3x total).

You know those stories "When I was your age" grandparents tell you about the times they got in trouble or went on adventure? I realized I'm gonna be hard-pressed to come up with much when I'm 90. What'll I say, "When gramps was 12 years old, he did wheelies on shopping carts!" LOL! ;D

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 04/22/05 at 9:29 pm

At age 29.8, I am one of the youngest 80s teens I suppose since I turned 14 in 1989.  Though I am probably more an early 90s kid then a pure 80s 80s teen.  The only thing that makes me angry about entering my 30s is that we are all going to be the same age.  People will look at someone who is 34 or 35 and tell me they are "around my age", because we are all in our 30s.  People will even call someone who is 38 or 39 "around my age" since I am about to turn 30.  I HATE THAT!!! 

I don't refer to anyone more then 3 years younger then me (25 or younger ) or more then 3 years older then me (33 or above) as "around my age".  You are only around an age if you are within 3 years of that age.  So I hate how that changes as we enter our 30s and become "the adults", we will all be looked at as this one big age grown ups.

Marty, I have always wondered what became of the dopey Valley Girls from circa 1985 as well.  What became of the punk rockers?  What became of the late 80s hair metal enthusiasts?  They all had to grow up I and turn into boring adults I guess.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/22/05 at 10:58 pm

80s teen here and i never really grew up. i still play rpg games like i did in the 80s, i drink like a fish like i did in the 80s and i'm still living with my parents (long story, the short version, i moved back four years ago after losing my job).

i was never into any cliques, i was a loser/geek, no one wanted me so i have the benefit of never fitting into an ideal, which i guess has helped me in a way in my later life. i still don't fit in nor do i want to. i'm a loser/geek adult who sees his peers who want the material possessions and the kids and the mortgages and i laugh at them. i'm going to "die" when i get the pension job and marry..hopefully i'll have a heart attack before that happens, but fate is a bitch, i have to grow up, i just want to live like a teen for one more year.... :\'(

Written By: Class of 84 on 04/22/05 at 11:03 pm

Well, I fit the "80's" teenager and am now 38. I am in upper management, am enjoying the fruits of a 13 year career, have a beautiful wife (my highschool sweatheart), two kids (one's a teen), and they think I am pretty wacky enough. One thing hasn't changed though, I still LOVE 80's music. I can't stay away from it.  I like country a lot more now, but always fall back on my 80's cd's.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/23/05 at 2:19 am

At age 29.8, I am one of the youngest 80s teens I suppose since I turned 14 in 1989. Though I am probably more an early 90s kid then a pure 80s 80s teen. The only thing that makes me angry about entering my 30s is that we are all going to be the same age. People will look at someone who is 34 or 35 and tell me they are "around my age", because we are all in our 30s. People will even call someone who is 38 or 39 "around my age" since I am about to turn 30. I HATE THAT!!!

I don't refer to anyone more then 3 years younger then me (25 or younger ) or more then 3 years older then me (33 or above) as "around my age". You are only around an age if you are within 3 years of that age. So I hate how that changes as we enter our 30s and become "the adults", we will all be looked at as this one big age grown ups.

Great points, which I more or less agree with. (And yeah, you turned 13 in '88 and the '80s culture" was around through 1991, so I'd still call you an 80's teen.)

I do have to admit, I really stretch it when referring to people 'around my age.' You're 29 going on 30, about 6-7 years older than me, so I'd consider you there (not an exact peer perhaps, but in the "sorta my age" range -- I think anyone from 15 to 30 I'd refer to that way).

I guess I can only say what my view is with 100% accuracy, but even when I was a kid, I never had that "generalized/old" idea of grown-ups. I didn't really think of someone as old unless they were really, ya know, 90! ;) Maybe it's because almost everyone in my family seems young for their age, and I mostly interacted with adults my first 7 or so years, so in essence I was used to it more than other kids?

My manager at work, who I'm semi friends with, is 30 and he's really into South Park and alot of video games, new rock music, etc (he still likes the 80's though!), so it would be hard to look at a guy like that and consider him "old".

Marty, I have always wondered what became of the dopey Valley Girls from circa 1985 as well. What became of the punk rockers? What became of the late 80s hair metal enthusiasts? They all had to grow up I and turn into boring adults I guess.

Not the most optemistic outlook Chris, LOL! ;D

Seriously though, I sometimes wonder if settling down and having kids ages you faster or not - a case could be made either way I suppose (on one hand, you'll be exposed to what they're into so it could keep you "hip" longer - on the other though, you won't have the time to party or whatnot if you have a family). For instance, my mom describes my dad upon meeting him as "40 going on 12" , LOL. Now, in '78 he was a pretty cool 40 year old, having not had any kids yet, etc. 4 years later, when I came along, it didn't seem to change that much - from all I know about how he was before.

Another way to look at the subject at hand:

You know how the "coolest" stuff of the 80's (i.e. leg warmers, aqua net, hair metal, Valley Girl slang) is often seen as the more 'made fun of' stuff today? It seems like things that maybe weren't quite as " supremely cool" -- still cool, just not as much or as trendy-ish as my first list -- actually have held up better over the years (i.e. Tom Petty).

In a sense, I'd almost apply that to certain people too. Take myself for instance - I've always had some friends or been kinda liked/semi popular, but not nearly been a Ferris Bueller or a Spicoli (I've barely cut a class in my life! Never been in trouble with the law, never got into huge trouble - I guess I'm pretty tame in that regard, hehe). So because of that, my being the same, or continuing to be cool when I'm 40 50 or 60 will maybe be a little easier in transition.

Like I said though, I guess any changes are as individual as the person themselves.

That all said, alot of the older friends I have (in their mid 30s) don't seem to have that "boring grownup" syndrome at all - I don't know exactly what they were like 20 years ago for a comparison, but I wouldn't be surprised if their 15 and 35 year-old selves were fairly alike!

I do think that people are seeming younger for a longer time these days than half a century ago. 45 year-olds can blast rock music now and it's not unusual -- now imagine a 45 year old in the 50's doing that!! ;)

Written By: SingBlueSilver on 04/23/05 at 5:47 am

;)  As someone who just turned 36, I really like to believe that I'm still much younger at heart.  I was a teen through the 80s and I was not even remotely popular.  Actually, I was very rebellious, sort of a combo between goth and punk, although I still remember listening to some of the more mainstream music (Duran Duran, Men At Work, Missing Persons, etc.)  Even as a teen, I was into some of the same things I am now, great song lyrics, political awareness, and that there's a place and time to be serious - kind of a downer now that I'm 30, BUT I still know the importance of just being silly.  I still watch old episodes of The Young Ones and Monty Python and I actually enjoy the I Love the 80s shows on VH1 because it helps me laugh at the things I was so sure were cool, like the Dukes of Hazzard, for instance - LOL!  I remember when I thought the mid 30s was way old, but now that I'm there...not so much!  I think if we thirtysomethings were reminiscing about the 70s or any decade before, we would sound old, but talking about the 80s, things were just silly and way over the top, unlike any decade before.  And living through the early 90s as a young adult, we had grunge, leftover hair bands and shows like Friends that sort of kept us young and edgy.  Sounds hokey, but the characters on Friends were our age, they were teens in the 80s, and they grew up to be cool.  OK, so they were fictional, but it made me realize that you could still be cool in your 30s.  I won't say I don't occasionally say "turn that crap off" when listening to today's music, but I have an amazing collection of today's music in my CD case.  Sometimes I feel sorry for myself for being so "old", but then I remember how active I still am and how in touch I really am with what's going on around me.  People tell me I don't look my age, maybe that's because I rarely act my age!!  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/23/05 at 7:22 am

I remember when I thought the mid 30s was way old, but now that I'm there...not so much!  I think if we thirtysomethings were reminiscing about the 70s or any decade before, we would sound old, but talking about the 80s

I think if your younger self time travelled to 2005, he/she would be comforted a little by seeing their older self is still pretty cool! :)

On an off note, it's funny you say that you thought the 30's was old when you were a teen 'cause many 80's artists were about that age. Hall & Oates, Steve Perry, Huey Lewis and Lou Gramm of Foreigner were all I think at least 35 in 1985, yet they were seen as cool (I guess for stars, it's a little different sometimes, LOL).

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 04/23/05 at 10:09 pm

Great points, which I more or less agree with. (And yeah, you turned 13 in '88 and the '80s culture" was around through 1991, so I'd still call you an 80's teen.)

I do have to admit, I really stretch it when referring to people 'around my age.' You're 29 going on 30, about 6-7 years older than me, so I'd consider you there (not an exact peer perhaps, but in the "sorta my age" range -- I think anyone from 15 to 30 I'd refer to that way).

I don't mind being lumped in with the 80s teen life, too much.  I love the decade, despite it's corny moments, so I don't mind and yeah the early 1990s did have a late 80s afterglow on it.   But why isn't someone born in 1965 or 1966 lumped in with the 70s?  Or a born in 1985 or 1986 tacked in with the 90s?  That....I have pondered about.

I was born in 1975, I am guessing you were born in 1981 or 1982?  My sister is your age, I remember when she was born in '82, I was 6 1/2 years old when she was born in early '82 and I was old enough to know what was going on.  For the longest time I thought people your age were just like little kids or something.  I used to always try to find ways to get rid of her when I was growing up, but it's funny for the past few years or so I interact with people your age and the age gap is not as much as back in the day obviously.  Sometimes I hardly ever notice a difference, but there are differences.  The weirdest part for me is even though I turn 30 later this year, people tend to think I am around 21 or 22, because I look younger then my age.  One time a couple of guys your age thought I was 19 or 20, I'm like no way guys I got 6 years on you!   

But honestly, I stick with the 3 year rule as my immediate age range.  But you're probably right, 7 years would probably be end of of a peer group.  Like I said, interacting with a 22 year old at age 29 is not the same as when I was 19 and trying to interact with a 12 year old.     

I guess I can only say what my view is with 100% accuracy, but even when I was a kid, I never had that "generalized/old" idea of grown-ups. I didn't really think of someone as old unless they were really, ya know, 90! ;) Maybe it's because almost everyone in my family seems young for their age, and I mostly interacted with adults my first 7 or so years, so in essence I was used to it more than other kids?

My manager at work, who I'm semi friends with, is 30 and he's really into South Park and alot of video games, new rock music, etc (he still likes the 80's though!), so it would be hard to look at a guy like that and consider him "old".

I used to think the same way 6 years ago and before.  That when people go to age 30 or even ages 27+, they  would magically start acting like that picture we all have of "the adults" when we were growing up.  Since every human being has to go through this, I don't mind it as much as I did back in 2000 when I was turning 25 and was like "F*CK! I was still a teenager 5-6 years ago, and now I will be a 30 year old in 5 years!!"  Turning 25 was far, far worse.

Seriously though, I sometimes wonder if settling down and having kids ages you faster or not - a case could be made either way I suppose (on one hand, you'll be exposed to what they're into so it could keep you "hip" longer - on the other though, you won't have the time to party or whatnot if you have a family). For instance, my mom describes my dad upon meeting him as "40 going on 12" , LOL. Now, in '78 he was a pretty cool 40 year old, having not had any kids yet, etc. 4 years later, when I came along, it didn't seem to change that much - from all I know about how he was before.

Another way to look at the subject at hand:

You know how the "coolest" stuff of the 80's (i.e. leg warmers, aqua net, hair metal, Valley Girl slang) is often seen as the more 'made fun of' stuff today? It seems like things that maybe weren't quite as " supremely cool" -- still cool, just not as much or as trendy-ish as my first list -- actually have held up better over the years (i.e. Tom Petty).

In a sense, I'd almost apply that to certain people too. Take myself for instance - I've always had some friends or been kinda liked/semi popular, but not nearly been a Ferris Bueller or a Spicoli (I've barely cut a class in my life! Never been in trouble with the law, never got into huge trouble - I guess I'm pretty tame in that regard, hehe). So because of that, my being the same, or continuing to be cool when I'm 40 50 or 60 will maybe be a little easier in transition.

Like I said though, I guess any changes are as individual as the person themselves.

That all said, alot of the older friends I have (in their mid 30s) don't seem to have that "boring grownup" syndrome at all - I don't know exactly what they were like 20 years ago for a comparison, but I wouldn't be surprised if their 15 and 35 year-old selves were fairly alike!

I do think that people are seeming younger for a longer time these days than half a century ago. 45 year-olds can blast rock music now and it's not unusual -- now imagine a 45 year old in the 50's doing that!! ;)

I am getting too tired to type a long reply to this one.  But I know what you are talking about.  These are things I have seen and wondered about as well.  And yes, it does seem like a 27-30 year old and even a 40 or 50 year old are much younger today in 2005 then in 1955, 1965, or even during the 1970s. 

I mean what happens when your parents music is just as loud and obnoxious as your own?  What happens when a kids parent's music is louder then their own?  I guess the kids will just see it as louder, but certainly not cooler, it would still be seen as campy and stupid just because it's old and not current.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/24/05 at 1:11 am

I don't mind being lumped in with the 80s teen life, too much.  I love the decade, despite it's corny moments, so I don't mind and yeah the early 1990s did have a late 80s afterglow on it.  But why isn't someone born in 1965 or 1966 lumped in with the 70s?  Or a born in 1985 or 1986 tacked in with the 90s?  That....I have pondered about.

That's true - I think actually someone born in the late 80's could consider themselves part of the 90's culture, maybe 'cause things like video games get kids into "cool" stuff earlier. But that would be true in your case too.

However, someone born in the mid 60's usually don't like much from the 70's excpet maybe 1977-79.

I was born in 1975, I am guessing you were born in 1981 or 1982?  My sister is your age, I remember when she was born in '82, I was 6 1/2 years old when she was born in early '82 and I was old enough to know what was going on.  For the longest time I thought people your age were just like little kids or something...It's funny for the past few years or so I interact with people your age and the age gap is not as much as back in the day obviously.  Sometimes I hardly ever notice a difference, but there are differences.

But honestly, I stick with the 3 year rule as my immediate age range.  But you're probably right, 7 years would probably be end of of a peer group.  Like I said, interacting with a 22 year old at age 29 is not the same as when I was 19 and trying to interact with a 12 year old.

Good point. It's interesting you mentioned that 'cause I had a humorous bit of conversation the other day at work with a co-worker/friend who's 18. I said something where I referenced how different and old something at the store seemed when I started in June '99, and she was like, "Dude, you worked here when I was 12!"

It took me a second 'cause that didn't sound right - it simply struck me as funny that today we're friends and all, but us being 23 and 18 respectively, is nothing, but back then, I was 17 and she was 12 - that would've been way different, LOL! ;D

Yeah, I was born in late 1981, so in essence, from a calendar POV, I might as well have been born in '82 in a way.

I think if you'd met me when I was 6-7 and you were 13, you'd have liked me okay. Being into NES games and rock music, I was a pretty cool 7, besides, my best friend at the time was 4 years older than me (thinking back, it was pretty cool of him - an 11 yr-old guy nearing puberty - to hang out with a little kid!!).

Written By: JonBender666 on 04/24/05 at 11:12 am

This is a great post to reply to marty. I was born in 77. Whether or not I was a teen in the 80s really doesnt matter alot cause I still have awesome memories of jumping on my bed listening to "rockit" by herbie hancock and doing the same with "Jump" by Van Halen. I feel even luckier to have been from the greatest time ever to be a kid. The toys were unbelieveable. I remember praying to God that he would make me into a ninja robot. But as far as what 80s kids turned into, well I feel like we are a bit forgotten and lonely. I still just wanna be a ninja robot.

Written By: robby76 on 04/24/05 at 11:30 am

Well I got into the late 90's club scene in a big way and partied 24/7 to thumping music. However, now I've sobered up and settled down with my other half, I find myself immersing myself in anything 80's... especially tv dvds, music and toys! I've even started collecting old Star Wars figures again! Yeah I suppose we all wanna be kids again... I'd love my biggest decision of the day to be what toyline I'm gonna start collecting!

ps: sorry just realised I wasn't exactly an 80's teen.

Written By: whitewolf on 04/24/05 at 12:11 pm

I was an 80s child,teen and adult. I was born in 1970, I don't think of myself as old in fact I still find it odd sometimes when I say im 35 :o cause I really don't feel that old and when I was a teen I thought over 30 was old.

Written By: Carrie on 04/24/05 at 2:52 pm

I was one for sure dude.  i wasn't popular though I stuck to myself and a few other friends.  I knew some that liked to party though.  That being, I've been talking with others around my age and am finding a split as you have said.  I for one am have mixed emotions about being in my thirties.  (I'll be 34 on the 19) on one hand if I had to do it over I'd lighten up, but thankful that I made it through those years alive and wouldn't go back.  At the same time, I remember how care free the times were, I miss that.  I'm grown up in many ways like working, paying bills, and raising a family, however, I find myself wanting more than that.  I wouldn't go back to my adolescence, but I miss the music, the energy, and the way we used to be wacky at times.  Now when your an adult, you're not expected to do wacky things.  That part I miss, but I noticed that part of me is resurfacing.  I'm struggling with growing older and yet I don't feel that much older.  Now we the 80's teens are in management positions usually or in some kind of authority role and I"ve noticed in the last year or so that commercials are using alot of late 7o's and 80's songs or references to them.  That has to be because we're taking the rains in many areas and we're the ones being targeted to buy, buy, buy.  I do think many have the peter Pan syndrome for shure dude.  ;D

You brought up a lot of good points, ones I agree with and feel the same way about.
I am 32 and I feel like I am in my early 20's. I don't feel old and certainly don't act old. I kind of had a hard time turning 30. Not like it is a huge deal but I didn't want to be lumped into that more mature age category if you know what I mean. I have matured quite a bit since I was a pre-teen/teen in the 80's, I have a 15 month old and a 10 year old (so I kind of had to) but I still have a lot of the same attitude. I haven't become the "norm" I guess and found a normal 9 to 5 type job. I am in theatre so we are a weird bunch anyway and sort of unconventional. I am tattooed and pierced and as willing to try new and unusual things as I was back in the 80's (probably more brave now than back then). I am pretty happy with what kind of person I turned out to be. And if the 80's helped... then that is cool with me. :D

Written By: DevoRule on 04/24/05 at 7:07 pm

80s teens seem like Baby Boomers and Silent Gens, except they have more sense of humor and are more into pop culture.  They act like moms and dads but still have a seed of "coolness" in them, whereas people who grew up before the 60s generally seem "anti-fun" and such.  Of course not all of them are that way though, it's just a general observation.

Written By: whitewolf on 04/24/05 at 7:17 pm

80s teens seem like Baby Boomers and Silent Gens, except they have more sense of humor and are more into pop culture.  They act like moms and dads but still have a seed of "coolness" in them, whereas people who grew up before the 60s generally seem "anti-fun" and such.  Of course not all of them are that way though, it's just a general observation.

tell me about it, I can sing Karaoke and act up with my kids (plainly have fun, while still being a parent) and my hubby (who was born in 61) seems to think that you can't be both a parent and friend to your kids at the same time.

Written By: Climber on 04/25/05 at 11:20 pm

I was an 80s child,teen and adult. I was born in 1970, I don't think of myself as old in fact I still find it odd sometimes when I say im 35 :o cause I really don't feel that old and when I was a teen I thought over 30 was old.

I was born in 1972, and I feel the same.  It shocks me that I just turned 33  :o  ;D !

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 04/27/05 at 2:19 am

Well I got into the late 90's club scene in a big way and partied 24/7 to thumping music. However, now I've sobered up and settled down with my other half, I find myself immersing myself in anything 80's... especially tv dvds, music and toys! I've even started collecting old Star Wars figures again! Yeah I suppose we all wanna be kids again... I'd love my biggest decision of the day to be what toyline I'm gonna start collecting!

ps: sorry just realised I wasn't exactly an 80's teen.

That's exactly how I feel.  I also hit the club scene in a big way during the late 90s.  You were born in 1976 right?  I was born in '75 and I never felt like a true, bonafide 80s teenager either, (felt more like a child back then)  but I still love the decade anyways.  My older cousins that were born around 1968, 1969 and 1970, now they definately were 80s teens.  I totally felt like I was an early 1990s teen.  But if you want to call early 90s a repeat of late 80s culture, I understand that.  I don't think anyone my age would get too bent out of shape about being lumped in with the real 80s teens, just because we all would love the decade and not be too ashamed of it, but if you were there you knew what the differences were.   

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 04/27/05 at 2:25 am

If it happened to us, then it will happen to people your age.  And I'm not even officially 30 yet.  But you just can't be worrying about every single bit of music and movie pop culture forever, life demands that you grow up, become more mature and start running the world.  Thus, you will start becoming more uptight about things, more anal.  I keep telling my cousin who is 2 years younger then me and 27 1/2 that we are basically the adults and authority figures now and he still thinks he is in his early 20s and refuses to accept that. 

It is just so weird how the years go by, and how the babies grow up.  When I think about how fast the years have gone by and how I remember "the moms and dads" that are around 35 today were still seen as young adult mid 20s "kids" in 1995 and then teenagers before that in the 80s, I feel like I am in the Twilight Zone.   

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/05/05 at 8:42 pm

BUMP

Meant to respond earlier.  ;)

...You just can't be worrying about every single bit of music and movie pop culture forever, life demands that you grow up, become more mature and start running the world. Thus, you will start becoming more uptight about things, more anal. I keep telling my cousin who is 2 years younger then me and 27 1/2 that we are basically the adults and authority figures now and he still thinks he is in his early 20s and refuses to accept that.

It's ironic to hear that 'cause even as a kid, I thought of someone in the late 20's as still "young" - kind of an extended teenager with just a little more in the way of responsibility. Closer to 40-ish struck me (both then and now) was when people tended to get more "adult-ish" and stopped paying as much attention to pop culture, etc.

Like I've said before though, it depends on the person. The "core" 80's teens were born from around 1966 to '72 - making them about 33-39 now - and many people I know in that age group myself seem closer to the "Friends" cast than, say the parents from 7th Heaven.

Chris, I'm sure you're still cooler than you give yourself credit for. :)

Written By: BCRichrocker on 05/29/05 at 8:17 pm

I am still an '80s purist at heart. As a famous guitar player that I admire said "You can take the man out of the 80's, but you can't take the 80's out of the man." sums it up pretty well.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/31/05 at 10:00 pm

I am still an '80s purist at heart. As a famous guitar player that I admire said "You can take the man out of the 80's, but you can't take the 80's out of the man." sums it up pretty well.

Yeah. I was 0-7 in the 80's, so to me, no matter what happens in other decades, I'll ALWAYS see them as my "home" - kind of a sentimental attachment to my childhood.

While I have way more firsthand experience with the 90's (ages 8-17), it's not the same nostalgic feeling (well, actually I do for 1990-96, but for anything in 1997+ it's very slight if at all). ;D

PS: I wonder if 80's teens ever thought that way about THEIR childhood in the 70's? ;)

Written By: Dariana on 07/25/05 at 2:25 am

I was born in 1967, so I'm right in the middle of your topic group and I have to agree.  I am the mother of four kids, including an 18 year old and I still roleplay (heck, I run a gaming convention), and have been mistaken for being in my 20s.  When I look at parents in previous decade tv shows, or even pictures I often think they are in their 40s or even 50s.  My generation looks younger, acts younger, and instead of getting ready to hit a midife crisis is instead still growing up.  A good part of this is the simplistic conveniences of today:  microwave ovens, precooked foods, pizza delivery, speedy oil change shops, casual career clothing, credit cards, tivo.. you name it, we can get it.  We've never had to ration food, we've never sufferred through a major war, a jail term isn't the end of our life, knocking up your girlfriend (or getting pregnant) doesn't mean instant marriage or being sent off, living with your parents while being a professional student is acceptable, and nobody blinks if you are divorced.  Tv and movies have made being a grownup either into a joke, or all but ignored it.  "Friends" was a show about four people that seemed to have jobs, but spent most of their time hanging out and playing foozball.  Compare that to "30 Something" and you can see a whole attitude change in just a decade.

Written By: robby76 on 07/25/05 at 7:01 am

Fantastic points there Dariana... you hit the nail on it's head! We truly are just a big bunch of kids.

Written By: MetalManiac on 07/25/05 at 9:39 am

Fantastic points there Dariana... you hit the nail on it's head! We truly are just a big bunch of kids.

I agree and that's all I can say. I'd love to respond more but it'd end up a novella. A lot of great points in this thread.

One other thing I will say along this thread is last night I was watching Reform School Girls with (was/am a huge fan of) Wendy O Williams and I was thinking "All these girls strutting around in their lacy personals...what do they look like now? Do they have kids? What do they think when they look back on this now?" I often have a very hard time thinking "Oh sh!t, that was 20 years ago...."  I find it very surreal staring down the barrel at the big 4-0 which I'll hit in 3 years. How did I get to be 37? When did that happen? ???  I don't feel any different than I did when I hit 21 in '89.

It's been a huge relief to find this board and all of you who feel the same for your teen years.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/25/05 at 8:33 pm

Very good points, ^ and ^^. :)

Cool to see this thread on top again! I sometimes wonder if the reason I probably can't/won't ever be able to perceive 80's teenagers as "old" or even "middle aged" is because they weren't really old enough to be my parents, so I think of someone born in 1975, 1970, even the late 60's as older siblings, in a sense.

That's probably part of it, but since I think I have a pretty good grasp on all time periods -- whether I was alive then or not -- I also truly believe that was the first decade (though the 70's were like that to a lesser extent) where there were TONS of youth-oriented things still very much applicable today. Video games, Cable TV, VCRs, music videos etc.

Therefore people who have had these things their whole lives will often seem like "kids" longer. On another side, as was mentioned above, we have a much "easier" life now than 100 years ago, even 50, and we also take better care of ourselves, so the appearence factor is part of it too.

Written By: Cafe80s on 07/26/05 at 10:37 am

I'm probably the youngest 80s teen on here. I turned 13 in 89 i think. I'm not married, i have no kids, i live with my folks, i still play 80s video games, i'm still into the same music, I still like to party, i still have very long hair & i still dress the same with my tight jeans & studded leather jacket. I don't plan on growing up too soon & i'll probably never change except for the moving out part. I have a girlfriend i've been seeing for a long time now, but no plans of marrage, at least not just yet. So really you could say i'm definatly still a kid at heart & always will be, either that or i'm suffering from early midlife crisis syndrome.

Written By: tv on 07/26/05 at 12:56 pm

Yeah. I was 0-7 in the 80's, so to me, no matter what happens in other decades, I'll ALWAYS see them as my "home" - kind of a sentimental attachment to my childhood.

While I have way more firsthand experience with the 90's (ages 8-17), it's not the same nostalgic feeling (well, actually I do for 1990-96, but for anything in 1997+ it's very slight if at all). ;D

PS: I wonder if 80's teens ever thought that way about THEIR childhood in the 70's? ;)

I don't know how old you are but you seem like the same age as me. I was 1-10 years old I think from 1979-1989. I have a huge noglastia feeling from 1995-1998 music wise because I was in High School in that time period. I have a little noglasia from 1999-2001 music as well since it was leftover 90's a little bit but not as much from 2002=present. Music wise all the years run together from 2002-present. Its funny but I feel more in touch with the 80's music than I feel for the music 1999-2001. I remember Too Hot by Kool and The Gang, "Everything She Wants"by Wham, "Lady Love Me"by Goeorge Benson, Time(Clock Of the Heart) by culture Club, He's So Shy by Pointer Sisters. I remember Hearing all those songs in my mom's car when I was in Pre-school .I also remember late 80's music like Taylor Dayne, Lost In Emotion by Lisa Lisa. I remember Freestyle Music like Stevie B. I think Stevie B was like an artist that came out in 1988 or 1989. "Dreamin Of Love" was his huge hit.  Televsion wise I like watching "matlock", Family Matters, Full House, Its A Different World. Its A Different World and Full House came out in 1987. Basically stuff from the late 80's-mid 90's. I missed the 80's teen cut off by a few years. I also like "Different Strokes".

My life now I still live with my parents, I;m 25 and single. I have matured alot from the baggy jeans I wore in the mid 90's. I feel about 35 instead of 25 for some reason or another. Looks wise I look about 20 but miy mind thinks like I'm 35. I think I can relate pop culture wise with anybody who is ages 20-35 but I think a 40 year old would be too old.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/26/05 at 4:23 pm

^ I like all those songs too. I always knew Stevie B. for "Because I Love You" - one of the great sappy ballads of the late 80's/very early 90's. Cool to discover he had another hit!

I don't know how old you are but you seem like the same age as me. I was 1-10 years old I think from 1979-1989.

Pretty close - I was born in September 1981, so I'm 23 going on 24 (did I just say that?). ;D

I've always identified more with the average person 5 years older than me FAR more than the average person my age, let alone 5 years younger. I don't think of even a 40 or 50 year old as "old" - never have. I think I can attribute this to growing up around more adults, so I saw things from a more natural perspective as opposed to a kid's POV, if that makes sense.

Ironically I don't feel any different now than I did at 14 or 15 - I often THINK that I should, but as far as overall mindset and actions, I'm still pretty teenage-like (I still live at home for the record).

^ However, when I hear a kid call something from 1998 or 2000 "old school" it does kinda give me a cold slap in the face and reminds me how old I truly am. ;)

Written By: Red on 10/08/13 at 10:49 pm

Graduated High School in 1989 in Los Angeles I recall us really being carefree and seemed pretty laid back most of the time. Me and my friends were confident in who we were. It was a time of excess and we lived it up. me and 3 of my girlfriends hung out in Hollywood on the weekends with a bunch of our male friends and I always recall even though we were not dating any of them they always looked out for us. And would come to our defense in a heartbeat. My friends would stand behind you when you were right and never afraid to tell you when you were wrong.  I just remember a lot of fun times. heck even work was fun as we grew older and got jobs. I am very happy now with a wonderful husband but miss those carefree days. seems the world got way to serious in the early 200's. The days of excess were gone and life got tuff for many. The 80's may have been a little cheesy at times but it was the coolest ever then. I think we were in a time of discovery in the 80's we spent more time talking and visiting face to face. Now I watch kids sitting across the table from each other texting each other. I recall one other thing then we did not do Drama we were to busy living the good life.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/09/13 at 12:39 am

I, unfortunately, feel like I was born in the wrong decade.  I was born in 1976 so I was really too young to really remember anything about the 1980s.  But the things that I remember the most are my mom playing all of her old Beatles records and telling us "when I was your age" stories. 
Even today she's still telling me those types of stories and I'm like "mom I've heard this story before!"  :P  For me the 80s represents the carefree part of my life, or it was supposed to be that way anyways,  and it's hard for me even now to listen to those stories now.

Written By: Howard on 10/09/13 at 7:03 am

I, unfortunatly, feel like I was born in the wrong decade.  I was born in 1976 so I was really too young to really remember anything about the 1980s.  But the things that I remember the most are my mom playing all of her old Beatles records and telling us "when I was your age" stories. 
Even today she's still telling me those types of stories and I'm like "mom I've heard this story before!"  :P  For me the 80s represents the carefree part of my life, or it was supposed to be that way anyways,  and it's hard for me even now to listen to those stories now.

I was born 2 years before you so I experienced most of the 80's. But I may have been too young to remember most things.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/10/13 at 8:43 pm

I feel like I should have been born in the late 1960s to early 1970s like my cousins were and I was born later in the decade.  It's not fair! I didn't get to experience the things that my cousins got to experience.  :P

Written By: d90 on 11/23/16 at 9:00 pm

In highschool and college I have had  a teachers who were 80s teen and they were pretty cool teachers. They weren't as strict as those teachers born in the 40 ' s and early 50s who tended to be strict at time and  had no nonsense attitudes.

Check for new replies or respond here...