inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Starship 80's song poll?

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/17/05 at 7:04 am

I had to do this sometime!

Even though they technically didn't change from Jefferson Starship to just plain 'ol Starship until 1985 with the Knee Deep in the Hoopla album, I still included their two hits from 1984 just 'cause they sounded pretty similar. Also put their two "new" songs in 1991 for the 10 Years and Change, Greatest Hits album.

Out of all these, I love "We Built this City" the most (did I just publically admit that?  ;D ). For the record, anyone who says it's cheese-filled and lame in its own way, they're right, but I still like it. Totally catchy and fun pop/rock for sure, plus I love the Golden Gate Bridge references. Not to mention the song came out when I lived just north of there, and I was maybe 2-3 years old.

It's a San Francisco thing - plus sentimental value. :)

If anyone is still reading and doesn't wanna pelt me with heavy objects yet, I also like the more laid back rockers like "Nothing's Gonna Stop us", "Tomorrow Doesn't Matter Tonight" and the mid-paced ballad hit "Sara". Like it when they rock out a bit too on album tracks like "Rock myself to Sleep" and "The Burn".

The unreleased "Don't lose any Sleep" - another medium Mickey Thomas-sung tune, is a favorite.

Subject: Re: Starship 80's song poll?

Written By: gord on 04/17/05 at 8:05 am

Out of all these, I love "We Built this City" the most (did I just publically admit that?  ;D )

It takes a big man to admit that ;) :) It really isnt that bad, it's a long way from 'White Rabbit' though.

I don't think I know all the songs on your list but I'll pick 'Sara' :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/17/05 at 8:33 am

I voted for We Built This City, I also like Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now.

Written By: zcrito on 04/17/05 at 12:22 pm

I always thought they did some of their best stuff in the middle to late '70s (I guess they all turned 30 by then).

But if it's '80s you're interested in then I voted for

1985's "Sara".

That's about all of Starship I could stand in the '80s.

Written By: Satish on 04/17/05 at 8:21 pm

I totally love hearing Starship songs, and I'm not afraid to admit that to anyone!

I vote for Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now. It always gives me a warm, positive feeling whenever I hear it!

Written By: SeptGrl80 on 04/17/05 at 11:18 pm

I'm still pissed that VH1 and a magazine (Rolling stone?) chose "We Built This City" as the #1 worst song ever. I find it hard to believe that with all of the Britney songs and worse that something like that would be picked.

Written By: Climber on 04/17/05 at 11:23 pm

I'm still ticked that VH1 and a magazine (Rolling stone?) chose "We Built This City" as the #1 worst song ever. I find it hard to believe that with all of the Britney songs and worse that something like that would be picked.

All of these shows are subjective & all the "stars" they have on those shows are just there for exposure.  You notice there's never any current stars on there...  Also, in about 10 years or so, they'll be saying the same thing about a lot of today's songs.

Written By: nally on 04/17/05 at 11:26 pm

I voted for We Built This City, I also like Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now.

Those would be my two picks as well. :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/18/05 at 9:43 am

Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now. I do like "Sara" and "We Built this City".

Tanya

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 04/18/05 at 3:24 pm

sara, sara, no time is a good time for goodbye!

Written By: Dagwood on 04/18/05 at 7:38 pm

Sara

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/18/05 at 8:01 pm

Sara
I'm suprised, Dagny!  ;) I voted for "Sara" as well.

Written By: Carrie on 04/18/05 at 11:34 pm

I didn't like them in the 80's. Back in the Jefferson Airplane days and some stuff from the 70's I did, but I hated them in the 80's. Sowwy.  :(

Written By: Kareoke Queen on 04/19/05 at 12:58 am

I had to do this sometime!

Even though they technically didn't change from Jefferson Starship to just plain 'ol Starship until 1985 with the Knee Deep in the Hoopla album, I still included their two hits from 1984 just 'cause they sounded pretty similar. Also put their two "new" songs in 1991 for the 10 Years and Change, Greatest Hits album.

Out of all these, I love "We Built this City" the most (did I just publically admit that?  ;D ). For the record, anyone who says it's cheese-filled and lame in its own way, they're right, but I still like it. Totally catchy and fun pop/rock for sure, plus I love the Golden Gate Bridge references. Not to mention the song came out when I lived just north of there, and I was maybe 2-3 years old.

It's a San Francisco thing - plus sentimental value. :)

If anyone is still reading and doesn't wanna pelt me with heavy objects yet, I also like the more laid back rockers like "Nothing's Gonna Stop us", "Tomorrow Doesn't Matter Tonight" and the mid-paced ballad hit "Sara". Like it when they rock out a bit too on album tracks like "Rock myself to Sleep" and "The Burn".

The unreleased "Don't lose any Sleep" - another medium Mickey Thomas-sung tune, is a favorite.

I am from the US, but I have family from the UK and over there they had a total of two hits over there with "We Built This City" (1985) and "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" (1987)

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 04/19/05 at 5:42 am

Nothing's Gonna Stop us Now

Written By: Jennifer028 on 04/19/05 at 11:52 am

We built this city-its goofy  :)

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 04/30/05 at 11:07 am

Nothin's Gonna Stop Us Now! 

From Mannequin starring hottie Andrew McCarthy and none other than Kim Cattrall!

Written By: whistledog on 08/12/06 at 1:33 am

I picked "We Built This City", but my ultimate favourite is "Before I Go" which according to the charts, was a minor hit in both the US and Canada in 1986, which is weird, because it's a song I remember hearing all the time when I was a kid.  Regardless, I remember it was very popular and I still love hearing it 8)

"Just tell me once, before I go"

Written By: DJ Midas on 08/20/06 at 1:28 am

"No Way Out"

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/20/06 at 2:50 am

"Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now"

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 09/12/06 at 1:22 pm

We Built this City

Written By: whistledog on 03/21/07 at 1:25 am

I have always loved the song "Set the Night to Music" ever since I saw the movie Vice Versa when I was a kid.  I always wondered why it was not a hit, but then last year, I found out that it actually was.  Though not a big hit, it still charted, which makes me very happy.  It's such an awesome song! 8)

It originally appears on the 1987 "No Protection" album, but the single charted in April of 1988, just 1 month after Vice Versa came out, so I like to think of it as a soundtrack hit, cause it fit so well with the closing credits of the movie!

Here's all their hits since the addition of the great vocalist Mickey Thomas ...

Jefferson Starship
1979 - Jane
1980 - Girl With the Hungry Eyes
1981 - Find Your Way Back
1981 - Stranger
1982 - Be My Lady
1983 - Winds of Change
1984 - No Way Out
1984 - Lay it on the Line

Starship
1985 - We Built This City
1985 - Sara
1986 - Tomorrow Doesn't Matter Tonight
1986 - Before I Go
1987 - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now
1987 - It's Not Over ('Til It's Over)
1987 - Beat Patrol
1988 - Set the Night to Music
1988 - Wild Again
1989 - It's Not Enough
1989 - I Didn't Mean to Stay All Night
1991 - Good Heart

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/22/07 at 5:09 pm

I wasn't particularly fond of the band during this phase, but 'Sara' wasn't half bad!  :)

Written By: Snoopygirl on 03/22/07 at 7:17 pm

Laying it on the Line

I was different ;D

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 03/23/07 at 8:51 am

We Built this City

Written By: wildcard on 03/24/07 at 8:16 pm

We Built this City

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/25/07 at 12:09 pm

Laying it on the Line

I was different ;D

Wasn't that one recorded under 'Jefferson Starship'?  ???

Written By: Paul on 03/25/07 at 12:30 pm

Not the sort of incarnation of theirs that really appeals to me, but (despite being voted one of the worst songs of all time by some 'hip-n-trendy' music mag), I do hold a soft spot for 'We Built This Chicken On Sausage Rolls...'

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/25/07 at 12:56 pm

Even though I hate this particular incarnation as well, I do like Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now.  It's better than that cheese-fest "We Built This City".

Subject: Starship 80's song poll?

Written By: Dude111 on 02/24/18 at 5:30 pm

I picked Sara :)

Check for new replies or respond here...