inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The surface of the Earth in The Jetsons

Written By: Satish on 04/17/05 at 8:17 pm

In "The Jetsons", people of the future are depicted as living high in the sky, in buildings mounted on huge pillars. The people are shown moving around through the clouds in flying cars, and we never get to see what's down on the ground where those pillars start from.

When I used to watch "The Jetsons", I always used to wonder what was down there on the surface of the Earth. It was probably completely deserted, now that all the people had moved up to the sky. I thought that maybe the forests and the wildlife had reclaimed the planet, what with there being no more humans there. Or maybe the world had become completely paved over with concrete and steel?

One thing I thought about what was down there, that depressed me, was that it was a barren wasteland that had been rendered completely unlivable because of humankind's damaging ways. That might have been why everyone had to move up into the sky, cause they had completely destroyed the world below them.  :(

What's everyone else think's down there?

Subject: Re: The surface of the Earth in The Jetsons

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/17/05 at 9:27 pm

The Flintstones?  ::)

Written By: Kryllith on 04/18/05 at 8:12 am

Flintstones sounds like a good guess to me. I was thinking like what happened in 5th Element. Of course, it could simply be that given the population explosion, they were forced to expand upward and that down on the surface it's basically the same as up in the sky.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/18/05 at 8:16 am

i watched an episode recently that had george and astro doing somekind of wilderness survival exercise. i assumed they were on the surface, there were in a forest. if the animators wanted to put them anywhere else, the forest would have been more alien and not the green pine trees of earth.

Written By: Kryllith on 04/18/05 at 8:29 am

Hard to tell actually. I've had the impression on a number of occasions that they developed parks and forests and similar things up in the air with them.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/18/05 at 9:19 am

never thought of that. maybe the earth is a barren nuclear wasteland.

Written By: Mayleneo on 04/18/05 at 9:32 am

The Flintstones?  ::)

LMAO ;D nice one:P Prolly by then it could have been assumned that we polluted the heck out of the earth and going high up was the only place to get some friggin air LOL....venting now from the LA smoggg:P:P

Written By: bj26 on 04/18/05 at 12:07 pm

I found this Jetsons trivia:
:
The Jetsons a futuristic cartoon, represent what life may be like. In the cartoon, families live above the stratosphere of the earth due to enormous pollution created by thousands of years of human habitation. Houses are built on long high rise poles with platforms at the top. The surface of the earth is no longer used for any practical purpose. Shopping centers, restaurants, schools, offices, etc., are left free floating in the sky.
also 

The ground does show, for example in Invisibly Yours and The Flying Suit.

Written By: Satish on 04/25/06 at 1:24 pm

It just occurred to me, at that elevation, wouldn't the air be too thin for people to breathe?  ???

Written By: whistledog on 04/25/06 at 1:36 pm

It just occurred to me, at that elevation, wouldn't the air be too thin for people to breathe?  ???

It would yes, but they probably have some kind of contraption that makes the air breathable.

Another question would be ... what if those flying cars malfunctioned in mid-flight?  Everyone would go crashing to their death

Written By: KKay on 04/26/06 at 10:53 am

I think the surface is all garbage..the maid robot put all the trash in a compactor and it all goes right straight down to the ground.
there is no more resource to dispose of trash properly in the future..
and ll the buildings are on lifts so as the refuse piles up, the house tops can rise a way from them

Written By: Kryllith on 04/26/06 at 11:20 am

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: BillyBOOO on 04/26/06 at 3:42 pm

PEOPLE!!! HELLOO????!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S A CARTOON FOR CHRIPE'S SAKE!!!!!!!! GOOD LOOOOOORDY LOOORDY LOOORDY.   http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/cry(1).gif

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/crucified.gif

Written By: whistledog on 04/26/06 at 6:42 pm

PEOPLE!!! HELLOO????!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S A CARTOON FOR CHRIPE'S SAKE!!!!!!!! GOOD LOOOOOORDY LOOORDY LOOORDY.   http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/cry(1).gif

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/crucified.gif

You mean the Jetsons are not real?  What the fuсk is this all about?

Written By: Kryllith on 04/27/06 at 1:00 pm

It's real. I think BillyB000 just meant he was a cartoon.

Written By: Dukefan on 04/27/06 at 7:29 pm

I believe in one episode they show the earth as just being flat, desert-like, and filled with trash.  I think the explanation in bj26's post works.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/27/06 at 7:52 pm

Good point, I never noticed that. From what I remembered, I thought the Jetsons were set in space...but I guess I remembered wrong.

Written By: woops on 04/28/06 at 1:44 am

On "Harvey Birdman", it's high level of water.

Though on "Drawn Together", it's just another town like "Bedrock" and  "South Park".

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/28/06 at 9:30 am

Good point, I never noticed that. From what I remembered, I thought the Jetsons were set in space...but I guess I remembered wrong.

ummmm yeah you definitely remembered wrong, bro... set in space!!!!!!!!!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/1drink.gif  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/laughing.gif

stupid

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/28/06 at 9:47 am

ummmm yeah you definitely remembered wrong, bro... set in space!!!!!!!!!   http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/1drink.gif  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/laughing.gif

stupid

go drink another beer...  ::)

Written By: karen on 04/28/06 at 9:52 am

go drink another beer...  ::)

Talking to yourself again  ::)

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/28/06 at 10:50 am

Talking to yourself again  ::)

and who are YOU talking to???  ::)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/02/06 at 8:10 am

ummmm yeah you definitely remembered wrong, bro... set in space!!!!!!!!!   http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/1drink.gif  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/laughing.gif

stupid

Well they all took little space-ships everywhere, and they went to these huge pod-stalk things which reminded me a bit about the gas stations of Bespin in Star Wars, which hovered in the atmosphere of a gas giant.

Written By: Satish on 01/28/08 at 9:31 pm

Hang on, now that I think about it, it isn't really too clear on the show just how high above the ground that the buildings are. They might be at an elevation of several kilometres, which would place them above the clouds, but they could also just be at a level of a few hundred metres, which wouldn't be that much higher than today's skyscrapers. I kind of think it's closer to the second alternative. Otherwise, the air would definitely be too thin for people to breathe and the temperature would be way too cold.

Written By: karen on 01/28/08 at 10:45 pm

Hang on, now that I think about it, it isn't really too clear on the show just how high above the ground that the buildings are. They might be at an elevation of several kilometres, which would place them above the clouds, but they could also just be at a level of a few hundred metres, which wouldn't be that much higher than today's skyscrapers. I kind of think it's closer to the second alternative. Otherwise, the air would definitely be too thin for people to breathe and the temperature would be way too cold.

You waited nearly two years to make that contribution?

Written By: gumbypiz on 01/29/08 at 4:25 pm

Man, arguing if the was a earth surface on the Jetsons is like arguing if Shaggy & Scooby were potheads, we all knew the truth but never saw it or wanted to admit it...and a fruitless endeavor.

Speaking of Scooby Doo, who thinks Fred was gay (c'mon didn't that scarf give him away)? What about Thelma? I have some suspicions about Rosie the Robot too... :D

Written By: PieLuvah on 02/25/12 at 2:38 pm

well i think its polluted,cause in Jetsons The Movie,rosie raises the homes out of the polluted toxic air........

Written By: robby76 on 02/25/12 at 10:38 pm

If it is earth, then it always reminds me of Coruscant City in the newer Star Wars films. Earth was down there... waaay down there.

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/7/77/Coruscant_view_EII_2.jpg

http://www.virulent.de/TI/TI39/pics/coruscant1.JPG

Written By: lady of the 80s on 02/26/12 at 9:17 am

I have A LOT of time on my hands today, so I studied the chronology of this thread. 

It was started April 17, 2005 and received 7 replies in one day and fizzled.

The OP bumps the thread on April 25, 2006 (is there a Jetsons marathon every April?)  and, again, it only receives replies for one day save for one comment a few days later.

The OP bumps it again in January 2008.  It received 2 replies and dies.

Finally, it is bumped 4 years later.  Will it die after one day again?

It' kind of sad.  It makes me reconsider posting in old threads.  :-\\

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/27/12 at 1:41 am

In a Cyberpunk http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk kind of thinking, I assume the rich people/corporations live in the air, and the less fortunate people that can't afford flying cars live in domed cities on the planet surface.  Just my guess.  I think some other futuristic movie had the poor people living underground.  Kinda like the movie "Metropolis" from Fritz Lang.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_%28film%29

Written By: Tia on 02/27/12 at 7:21 am

I think the surface in the Jetsons is covered with awesome bikers, beatniks, and hippies partying with their groovy chicks, drinking lots of cold brew and chillin', and not worrying about getting too much about getting too much of a buzz on, stumbling momentarily, and plummeting 5 miles to their death. I notice about the Jetsons that there don't seem to be nearly enough handrails. I also notice how in the Jetsons no one's ever partying with their groovy chicks. Coincidence? I think not.

Star Wars prequels: same deal.

Written By: Doc Brown on 02/27/12 at 12:37 pm

In a sense, you with theories may all be correct. Just because the surface was shown on different episodes does NOT mean they showed the same section every time. Some places on earth probably became vast deserts(they exist today, and maybe the all the oil reserves ran out), or got so covered with garbage a la "WALL*E" that they became uninhabitable(sounds like LA in a few years, doesn't it?). And showing pristine wilderness in some episodes would show that there were places that managed to have their environment conserved, but not Canada's Newfoundland province, one episode revealed it was unbelievably polluted by the original production line of Spacely Sprockets! >:(
So, no need to argue it's all possible, especially since those flagpoles under the buildings were reputed to be raise-and-lowerable.
BTW, if George ever really feels the need to plummet to his death, as we saw in one episode, he need only do one thing: Let Jane Drive! :D

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/27/12 at 5:19 pm

I remember seeing an episode of The Jetsons where there was this dejected-looking bird walking on the surface of the Earth (though I don't recall the surface being polluted, just grassy and bare), and he broke the fourth wall and looked at the camera and griped about not being to fly anymore because the sky was too crowded with all those damned flying cars.  :o

Written By: Jus on 05/17/13 at 9:21 am

I read about an interview with the writers and they said the reason that they were in the sky was to escape from zombies

Written By: Stinkyy on 06/10/13 at 9:55 pm

I believe in one episode they show the earth as just being flat, desert-like, and filled with trash.  I think the explanation in bj26's post works.

I am pretty sure Dukefan is right.  Great question, I always remember wondering the same.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/10/13 at 10:06 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WufXGMee6Ig

Written By: Doc Brown on 06/10/13 at 10:22 pm

No animals left in The Jetson's world? What's Astro, a hologram!? And anyone who has seen the episode where Elroy tells of where he and Astro first met, they were in a park with... wait for it... GRASS! AND DIRT! AND TREES! There have to be seas, plants and animals left, or there would be no humans(as in, no food). RRetter rrethink rrhis rrone!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: Howard on 06/11/13 at 6:32 am

There wasn't any surface in The Jetsons, Weren't they living up in space? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/11/13 at 6:40 am

There wasn't any surface in The Jetsons, Weren't they living up in space? ???
The Jetsons are a family residing in Orbit City in the year 2062. The city's architecture is rendered in the Googie style, and all homes and businesses are raised high above the ground on adjustable columns. George Jetson lives with his family in the Skypad Apartments: his wife Jane is a homemaker, their teenage daughter Judy attends Orbit High School, and their early-childhood son Elroy attends Little Dipper School. Housekeeping is seen to by a robot maid, Rosie, which handles chores not otherwise rendered trivial by the home's numerous push-button Space Age-envisioned conveniences. The family has a dog named Astro, which talks with an initial consonant mutation in which every word begins with an "R", as if speaking with a growl.

http://gostreamlinesolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/Meet-the-Jetsons.jpg

Written By: Scrooge McMonkey on 12/29/18 at 4:05 am

With the ponytail-wearing hottie Judy Jetson up there above the clouds, who cares what is on the ground.

Written By: exodus08 on 01/10/19 at 12:51 pm

LMAO ;D nice one:P Prolly by then it could have been assumned that we polluted the heck out of the earth and going high up was the only place to get some friggin air LOL....venting now from the LA smoggg:P:P

You mean from China not Los Angeles.

Written By: Elor on 01/10/19 at 2:32 pm

You mean from China not Los Angeles.
That post was 13 years ago ;).
But IDK, when I was in LA in 2001 there was a very distinctive smog cloud over the city....

Written By: Howard on 01/10/19 at 2:43 pm

Wasn't The earth supposed to be flat in The Jetsons?

Subject: The surface of the Earth in The Jetsons

Written By: Dude111 on 01/13/19 at 9:58 am

I dunno but it IS wierd they didnt ever show the ground!!!

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/13/19 at 10:09 am

Wasn't The earth supposed to be flat in The Jetsons?

No, that was the Flintstones. 

Written By: Howard on 01/13/19 at 1:56 pm

I dunno but it IS wierd they didnt ever show the ground!!!

Yeah, they were always up in the sky.

Check for new replies or respond here...