inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: TV POWWW!

Written By: Sammy Reed on 04/17/05 at 10:03 pm

How many out there remember "TV POWWW!"? It aired on different local stations in the 80's. They had an Intellivision game played over the air, and a kid on the phone hollered "POW!" each time they wanted to shoot a spaceship, or make a punch in boxing, or whatever depending on what Intellivision game they were playing that day. They played it 2 times per day, and they gave each caller a time limit, and whoever had more points than the other won whatever the big prize was.
    One of our stations aired it from 1981 to (I'm guessing) 1983. The way it went on that station, they put it on during "Scooby-Doo" reruns. They had 2 episodes back-to-back at the 5pm hour, and they would play "TV POWWW" at about the 15 & 45-min. marks. One of my brothers got to play it in 1982. He didn't win the big prize, but he got an "I Played TV POWWW!" T-shirt. I don't know what happened to that thing, though.
    One web page I found that has some info about "TV POWWW" is:
http://www.intellivisionlives.com/media/newsletters/news020327.html

Subject: Re: TV POWWW!

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 04/18/05 at 7:38 am

I remember it well, every Saturday morning. In Australia, it aired on the 7 network, as part of the Saturday cartoon show. It was hosted by a readheaded dude called Jim and a puppet-dog called Spot.
"Wow, TV POWWW!!!" :D

Check for new replies or respond here...