inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best type of synth sound

Written By: DevoRule on 04/19/05 at 6:49 pm

I'd say high-pitched keyboard.  I don't like the funky Duran Duran-style stuff too much.

Subject: Re: Best type of synth sound

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/19/05 at 6:55 pm

Good question, again!

I'm not sure exactly what category this would fall under, but I like where it's in the music, but not in the forefront - in other words, still noticeable and flavoring the music, but blending with the guitar and other instruments. Some of the more hard rock-ish new wave songs, like "Magic" from the Cars, or anything from Billy Idol's 'Rebel Yell' album are examples.

Written By: DevoRule on 04/19/05 at 7:02 pm

Good question, again!

I'm not sure exactly what category this would fall under, but I like where it's in the music, but not in the forefront - in other words, still noticeable and flavoring the music, but blending with the guitar and other instruments. Some of the more hard rock-ish new wave songs, like "Magic" from the Cars, or anything from Billy Idol's 'Rebel Yell' album are examples.

I like raw keyboards, but not without other things. For example, I like Devo-type stuff better than Human League style music but I'd take Thompson Twins over The Clash any day of the week (unless it was "Lies"  :P )

Nice someone shares my love for classification  :)

-Devo

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/19/05 at 7:06 pm

^ I'd have to agree about Devo vs Human League (the only song of theirs I like is the ballad called "Human" where the synths are slower and more laid back sounding - the other one "Don't you Want me" is fun, but a little cheesy, even for my tastes).

Written By: DevoRule on 04/19/05 at 7:13 pm

^ I'd have to agree about Devo vs Human League (the only song of theirs I like is the ballad called "Human" where the synths are slower and more laid back sounding - the other one "Don't you Want me" is fun, but a little cheesy, even for my tastes).

That's how I feel about Human League too. "Don't You Want Me"  would be better as a New Wave instrumental in my opinion, like for clubs and basketball games.

I'm not really into the really Punk-oriented New Wave from about 1977-1980 (although early Talking Heads is very good and Devo's early stuff is almost punk sometimes), but there's only so much pure synth I can take.  That's why I like a-ha: they aren't robotic all the time and when they are Morten Harket puts a human touch on them and the synths are pure magic.

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 04/19/05 at 7:41 pm

Nothing beats the sound of Analog!!! :)

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 04/20/05 at 8:00 am

I much prefer when a synth is used to produce a sound that is unique to an elctronic instrument. Synths that are used to imitate an orchestral instrument don't always do the job and can sound a little cheap and nasty, IMO. Eg: how much better would the intro to Queen's "One Vision" sound if it were done with a real orchestra?!

Written By: MarcDaShark on 04/20/05 at 11:17 am

I much prefer when a synth is used to produce a sound that is unique to an elctronic instrument. Synths that are used to imitate an orchestral instrument don't always do the job and can sound a little cheap and nasty, IMO. Eg: how much better would the intro to Queen's "One Vision" sound if it were done with a real orchestra?!

I agree.  But now there are some great synths that imitate orchestral sounds very well.  They may actually be recorded from the real instruments, but hey, if you can get the sound of an orchestra all in one set of keys, I'd sure as hell get it.  Some new VST's can do a great job as well, like Plugsound v6.

Written By: DevoRule on 04/20/05 at 4:33 pm

Anyone ever take existing synth lines and mix em up with your computer?  I discovered you can do that with a computer sound recording program.  I've made some neat sounds; I'll load em onto the site when I can! :)

Check for new replies or respond here...