inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80s film/music video stereotypes

Written By: DevoRule on 04/19/05 at 7:00 pm

For film, I see a lot of people running into gangs, getting into some little fight and thinking they're the shizzit for it.  Also, a gun is in every other 80s movie (ditto with music videos).  Don't forget, endless d*ck jokes. 

For music videos, there's some supposed guitar, a cheesy keyboard solo, and a leather jacket.  Some poofy hair and a cop too and maybe a public service annoucement.

Subject: Re: 80s film/music video stereotypes

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 04/20/05 at 8:03 am

For music videos, there's some supposed guitar, a cheesy keyboard solo, and a leather jacket.  Some poofy hair and a cop too and maybe a public service annoucement.

Don't forget the ubiquitous boy-meets-girl-boy-loses-girl scenario, some legwarmers and brightly coloured ghetto blasters, carried on the shoulder. :D ::)

Written By: DevoRule on 04/20/05 at 4:37 pm

Don't forget the ubiquitous boy-meets-girl-boy-loses-girl scenario, some legwarmers and brightly coloured ghetto blasters, carried on the shoulder. :D ::)

;D

Ever seen Adventures in Babysitting?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/20/05 at 9:26 pm

The nerd, usually with a high pitch voice and laugh, wore a shirt with a pocket for a pocket protector, baggy pants held up a suspender, glasses (usually held together with duct tape), and usually carrying a binder or and calculator, as seen in Revenge of The Nerds and it's sequel.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/20/05 at 9:34 pm

80s action movie sterotypes: the neverending belt of ammo....cop who was a vietnam vet...colombian drug lords...bad guys who can never hit the good guy despite the good guy standing in the open.

Written By: Climber on 04/20/05 at 11:29 pm

80s action movie sterotypes: the neverending belt of ammo....cop who was a vietnam vet...colombian drug lords...bad guys who can never hit the good guy despite the good guy standing in the open.

...and the bad guy who never seemed to die, no matter how many times he was shot...

Written By: Carrie on 04/20/05 at 11:34 pm

The nerd, usually with a high pitch voice and laugh, wore a shirt with a pocket for a pocket protector, baggy pants held up a suspender, glasses (usually held together with duct tape), and usually carrying a binder or and calculator, as seen in Revenge of The Nerds and it's sequel.
That is what I was going to mention, the nerd stereotype.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/21/05 at 9:38 am

The really stupid teenagers who go out into the woods, when they know that they really shouldn't, because there is a killer with a mask and machete or chainsaw.  ::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/21/05 at 9:40 am

Cop was usually burnt out, had "bad, horrible nightmares about 'Nam", and or was a alcoholic.  ::)

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 04/24/05 at 1:55 am

This very apt quote comes from a dude called Paul, from a place called Kent. Check him out at:
http://www.kentpaul.com/

"Films was films and they was easy to understand. There was a good guy, an American or something, and a lot of bad guys, often from Eastern Europe or Vietnam or whatnot, and the good guy would go and kill loads of bad guys, and bring about peace using lots of weapons and killing anyone who didn't understand or couldn't sing the American anthem. How things change, hey?"

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/24/05 at 11:50 am

How about the heavily armed soldier, sent to rescue somebody (usually a friend, fellow soldier, or group of soldiers)?  Usually played by Arnold Schwartznegger, Sylvester Stallone, or Chuck Norris, the heavily armed soldier spends the later half of the film without a shirt, has lots guns and ammo, and easily outguns and out explodes the bad guys, most of the time the bad guys, never stand a chance.  ::)

Written By: Schillingfan on 04/30/05 at 11:12 pm

The biggest sterotype for 80's music videos were the hot women with large, busty chests and strippers, I'll admit, I think the metal videos of the 80's were the biggest users of this sterotype!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/01/05 at 11:29 am

The biggest sterotype for 80's music videos were the hot women with large, busty chests and strippers, I'll admit, I think the metal videos of the 80's were the biggest users of this sterotype!

;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/01/05 at 11:31 am

The slimy, greedy, well dressed, yuppy, like Michael Douglas's charecter in Wall Street.

Written By: AL-B on 05/01/05 at 6:54 pm

I always thought the party scenes in 80's movies were really phony. They'd always show a bunch of rich kids in sport jackets dancing in the living room to the Psychedelic Furs or something. And I always thought they were total B.S.  I went to my share of parties in the 80's and they were never even remotely like the ones they showed in the movies.

Check for new replies or respond here...