inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ripped Jeans

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 04/23/05 at 6:32 am

Whether you like it or whether you don't, ripped jeans are back!
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/opinions/columnists/sbaker/j06suebaker.htm
I personally love them. I went to an 80s gig last night and wore my own very special pair of customized opp-shop jeans. Though at first, I kept thinking my fly was undone, due to breezes blowing so slose to the crotch, I felt pretty cool. Kind of a bonus that I can dress-up for my fave decade and still be trendy. What do y'all think of the re-emergence of ripped denim?
http://catalog.samfox.com/images/No9002.jpg

Subject: Re: Ripped Jeans

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/23/05 at 6:35 am

It is not hardly worth wearing them^^^

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 04/23/05 at 7:06 am

It is not hardly worth wearing them^^^

Not the ones that Sam's wearing in the above picture, no! ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/23/05 at 10:48 am

That's great! Seems like that was one trend that was shortlived (but cool!) in 1987/88. Even by 1989, it was past its peak.

It's funny, but I actually had some personal experience with it - when I was about 5, I was at the miniature golf course and accidentally created a big rip in one of the knees of the jeans I had on. My first reaction was to try and fix/cover it, but I can still remember mom saying, "Just leave it like that, it looks cool." ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/23/05 at 5:59 pm

Why ruin a perfectly good pair of pants, by ripping them?  ::)

Written By: migi on 04/24/05 at 9:29 am

Yes, the fashion always comes back to the basics. I've several ripped or fainted jeans.
That Sammy Fox picture is awesome. Damn, she's so sexy.

Written By: Carrie on 04/24/05 at 2:56 pm

I don't know if I will like the ripped in the knee and crotch look and stuff from back in the 80's, but I have a couple of pair of flairs that are all ripped and frayed at the bottom and I like that look. I don't like it much more ripped then that though.

Written By: DevoRule on 04/24/05 at 7:32 pm

I see them more as an early 90s Grunge thing than an 80s things per se.

Written By: iluvthe80s on 04/25/05 at 7:51 am

I heard one time that you could actually buy jeans back in the 80's with the holes already in them - to me, that would take all the fun out of ripping the holes yourself.  ;D

Written By: Gis on 04/25/05 at 10:39 am

I see them more as an early 90s Grunge thing than an 80s things per se.
Nope they were definatly am 80's thing, mostly around the metal scene though they did spread across the whole fashion scene eventually.The best ones were really old jeans that wore through rather than ones you bought already torn or bought brand new and then tore. My Dad used to go mad at me going round with 'my backside hanging out for the world to see' and my boss thought I was too poor to buy new jeans until he realised it was the fashion. 

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 04/27/05 at 4:20 pm

Why ruin a perfectly good pair of pants, by ripping them?  ::)

Well mate, the pair I had cost my mum $2 and were passed on to me when she couldn't wear them. I wouldn't wear them because of the style, but now that I have customized them, they are a total fashion statement that I will treasure forever. Ripped in the right way, such jeans can even make a solid pair of legs look more slender -so get those scissors out, kids! 8)

Written By: Arvig on 04/27/05 at 5:44 pm

Nope they were definatly am 80's thing, mostly around the metal scene though they did spread across the whole fashion scene eventually.The best ones were really old jeans that wore through rather than ones you bought already torn or bought brand new and then tore. My Dad used to go mad at me going round with 'my backside hanging out for the world to see' and my boss thought I was too poor to buy new jeans until he realised it was the fashion. 

I was in the Portland, Oregon/Vancouver Washington area in the early 90's, and still saw ripped jeans then.  Daughter of the owner of a road construction company in Vancouver wore them a lot...okay, she also worked as a flagger for her dad so to a degree it was her work jeans, but I think her normal jeans were usually ripped ones too.

Anyway, IMO it kind of depended on the area.  Pacific Northwest was more grunge since it started here, so locally grunge kept it alive for a couple more years.  But yeah, I do remember late 80's metal heads wearing them, knew a girl and her boyfriend who were both huge GnR fans who dressed in them.

I actually did the ripped jeans bit a bit after the fact as a late grunge thing.  ;)  I would actually take black jeans, pour some bleach on them directly so they would get white spots on them, then rip them a bit before washing the bleach back out.  And yes, I was using old jeans that maybe already had a rip in them.  Oh well, silly things people do for fashion.

*thinks...wonders if I have some old enough jeans that are sutiable for ripping...  ;)  *

Written By: Climber on 04/27/05 at 10:36 pm

I haad a couple pairs with holes in the knees.  They were naturally worn thru though, cause my parents would have made me pay for my own clothes otherwise!  :)

Written By: chaka on 05/04/05 at 3:05 pm

I'm always getting holes in my jeans without wanting it ::)

Written By: spaceace on 05/11/05 at 9:27 am

Okay so let me get this straight it's not cool for me to throw out the jeans I accidentally ripped beyond recognition.  Next thing I know I'm gonna have to find my jelly shoes, and my benneton bag.  Hope my Mom didn't throw all my stuff out just yet!!! ;D

Written By: BCRichrocker on 05/29/05 at 7:58 pm

Now let's hope the jeans are not only ripped but fit as well. I can't wait until the fad of wearing jeans 3 sizes too big that make the wearer look like he/she has a load in their pants disappears also.

Written By: Mergal on 05/30/05 at 5:30 am

Over here they seemed popular up to 1992.

Written By: Zebra on 05/30/05 at 7:47 am

Wow! Now i can wear my Working-Jeans all day and night  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...