inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Which main character from The Breakfast Club do you most identify with?

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 04/24/05 at 10:57 pm

I identify most with John, because I'm a rebel. Never really broke the law, other than the odd bit of pot smoking, but I do tend to knock people, particularly those desperate to conform to the unreasonable demands of "society" and spoilt little princesses like Claire, whom to this day, I hate with a passion.
You must all think I'm a bad-a** now, but I can be quite nice...... :D
What about y'all? Who do you think you are (most like?)

Subject: Re: Which main character from The Breakfast Club do you most identify with?

Written By: Climber on 04/25/05 at 1:02 pm

I can ID with a couple of them, sorta...  I wouldn't classify Allison as Psycho, though; she was mainly a loner who didn't feel like she fit in.  If you remember at the end, she didn't act psycho.  I was a little like her, and a little like the 'nerd'.  ;D

Subject: Re: Which main character from The Breakfast Club do you most identify with?

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 04/25/05 at 4:30 pm

I wouldn't classify Alison as "psycho" either, I am merely refering to the labels that the teacher had already given them. I guess I was a little like her too. I was very lonely in highschool and sometimes a lonely person will do anything for attention, even if it does mean being labeled as "psycho." I didn't turn "bad" until after graduation. ;D

Written By: Sugafairey on 04/25/05 at 4:49 pm

When I was at school I was most like Allison - the weirdo, because of the drawing and doing stuff just to shock people.

I would have gone out with Judd Nelson though, not Emilio Estevez.

Written By: Arvig on 04/27/05 at 5:50 pm

Although I'm a guy (note self portait as my posting avatar.  ;)  ), I identified with the Ally Sheedy's character the most, Anthony Michael Hall's second most.  I was probably a mix of those two growing up.  And as a guy, I found the so called basket case much hotter then Molly Ringwald's character.  Actually found her more attractive before then after her makeover in the film, I liked her shaggy hair.  ;)

And I thought it was cool that she was bored, so she showed up to dentention just for something to do.

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/27/05 at 5:53 pm

And as a guy, I found the so called basket case much hotter then Molly Ringwald's character.  Actually found her more attractive before then after her makeover in the film, I liked her shaggy hair.  ;)

Eeep, same here.. and to think i thought i was alone  ;D

Written By: JonBender666 on 04/27/05 at 10:09 pm

Uh....I dont think I need to answer this.

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 04/27/05 at 10:38 pm

im like Andy...not nerdy, rebel, or pristine...just middle with some physical attibutes...except i cant cry when i talk about perosnal stuff.(like taping butt cheeks together lol)

Written By: Sugafairey on 04/28/05 at 4:02 am

im like Andy...not nerdy, rebel, or pristine...just middle with some physical attibutes...except i cant cry when i talk about perosnal stuff.(like taping butt cheeks together lol)

Do you think you might cry if someone taped your butt-cheeks together? Lol

Written By: Triviamom on 04/28/05 at 3:52 pm

I picked Allison also, but not because she was labelled as a basket case, or psycho- merely because I thought as she did- that she was invisible. I didn't think anyone noticed me, until AFTER I got out of high school.

Written By: Sugafairey on 04/28/05 at 4:12 pm

I picked Allison also, but not because she was labelled as a basket case, or psycho- merely because I thought as she did- that she was invisible. I didn't think anyone noticed me, until AFTER I got out of high school.

Word to that.

I noticed that recently at a reunion. How did I become visible all of a sudden??

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 04/28/05 at 4:47 pm

Nothing hurts more than being ignored, eh? I remember a kid in my class, whom everyone hated, but try as they might, they couldn't ignore him. He always found some way of getting attention, whether it was smart-mouthing a teacher or lighting up a ciggie in the science lab. No doubt, he got caned a few times.
I was invited to a highschool reunion, back in 2002, but didn't bother going. I'd rather throw my own party., for those who didn't just attend that school, but survived it.
I think what might have made an interesting sequel: Breaffast Club II:The Reunion.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 04/29/05 at 10:01 am

I'm sort of a mixture of Andy, Brian and Allison. In school, I sometimes did weird things to get attention, I'm like Brian for how he's easily bullied and passive, and I can relate to a lot of the core personality of Andy.

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 05/06/05 at 5:01 pm

Do you think you might cry if someone taped your butt-cheeks together? Lol

hell no...first of all...i dont undressed in my locker room...im only in my boxers

Written By: Sugafairey on 05/07/05 at 6:28 am

hell no...first of all...i dont undressed in my locker room...im only in my boxers

It is best to play it safe when around potential butt-cheek taping.

Written By: Arvig on 05/08/05 at 11:58 pm

It is best to play it safe when around potential butt-cheek taping.

I hope this isn't too risque to post...but you know someone, somewhere has actually paid someone to tape their buttcheeks together...  ;)

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 05/09/05 at 6:35 am

I wouldn't classify Allison as Psycho

I wouldn't either.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/06/05 at 6:33 am

BUMP

Well, remember how I once said I'd never seen this movie (despite my lifelong love of the 80's - especially anything John Hughes was involved in)? Glad I changed that yesterday! :)

Truthfully I see a little of myself in a few of them. Most of all I think I'm like Andrew. Although I'm not really tough like he is (or athletic for that matter), he still seemed like the "nice guy" of the bunch at times - say, looking out for Claire when Bender was giving her a hard time.

There's some of me in Brian (I always liked all of Anthony Michael-Hall's characters though!) since I'm a nerd in my own ways. My detailing the time travel or scenarios in BTTF, or talking about "when did the 70s end" could be parallel with his math club-type stuff! :D

I can definitely identify with Allison too -- I'd say her character "changed" or developed the most throughout the movie. Overall I thought of her as someone who wanted to fit in - who was cool in her own way, but wasn't always what she appeared. I thought it was sort of sad when she admitting to not having any friends. :(

At the movie's end, you see than even the jock, Andy, is unhappy with his life at home (as everyone is, even criminal/tough guy Bender - proving there's a "reason" for him being as he is). This gives him a much more "human" side than we see in the beginning - at first I thought he was obnoxious and just a jerk, but he grew on me throughout the movie. ;)

If there's any moral to this story, I would say that it's, to give people--anyone--a chance at being a friend. You might have more in common with them than you'd ever think. No matter what year, or how old you are, I think that's a relevant message. While the 80's were overall a "nicer" time to me, there was still that whole "clique/label" thing going on in high school (another thing that hit close to home for me - which I went through is HS too).

Generally I was never fully sure if I was watching a drama or a comedy here, but I think it's safe to say it's both - though as it progresses, it gets more serious IMO. When it started it was more silly.

Good movie in all though. :)

Written By: Echo Nomad on 06/11/06 at 12:35 am

I feel like I'm a combination of Brian and Allison.

Check for new replies or respond here...