inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Nickelodeon Cartoon from 80s / Toy from 80s

Written By: Jeff on 04/25/05 at 1:33 am

Hello:

Just wondering if anyone remembered the little Nick filler cartoon called "DogBrain" that used to be inserted in between shows for filler time.  I'm looking to possiby download it, or even just the theme song.  I used to have it on a tape because I liked it when I was younger but lost the tape  :(  Also, on another topic, I'm trying to remember what a certain toy I had when I was a kid was called.  THe best I can describe it was it was a battery operated car that you would "fill with gas" with a little toy gas pump by inserting it in a hole near the rear window.  This would cause a series of dials on the bottom of the car to spin in one direction, untill the read "FULL".  The motor would then stop.  You would remove the gas nozzle and it would again begin to run, this time the wheels would turn, and the dials would go the ohet way untill the read "empty" and the car would shut off.  Does anyone remember this, and what it was called or where I could find it again?

Thanks in advance for your time,

Jeff

Subject: Re: Nickelodeon Cartoon from 80s / Toy from 80s

Written By: Jeff on 04/26/05 at 11:57 pm

Hello:

No one has any ideas on either I guess..... :(  No one vageuly remember the toy?? or the cartoon snippet?  More interested in finding out what that toy car was called though so I could try ebay to find one maybe....Someone else had to have it besides me....maybe??

Thx,

Jeff

Written By: Jeff on 05/01/05 at 2:11 pm

*bump*

One other thing about that car that comes to mind...I'm 99% sure it was red, with tinted windows.  And the little gas pump nozzle had what looked like a barbershop spiral thing in it that also spun when it was inserted into the "filler hole".

Thanks,

Jeff

Written By: Starscream on 05/06/05 at 12:52 am

The closest thing to what you describe, (I can think of), is Hot Wheels Sizzlers.

Written By: Jeff on 05/07/05 at 5:57 pm

The closest thing to what you describe, (I can think of), is Hot Wheels Sizzlers.

Hello:

Thanks for the post.  After looking those up on ebay...they are very very similar to this thing I'm trying to describe, with a few differences.  My thing was a little larger, did not run on any sort of track, and the batteries did not go into the pump.  Rather than being an electrical connection from the pump to the car, all I believe the pump nozzel did was actuate a switch in the car causing the motor to spin 1 way, making those dials turn to read "full".  Thats the other thing too, I'm positive mine had a series of dials on the bottom.  This is driving me crazy now, trying to remember what it was.  I can't even locate a pic...of all the pics my paretns took of all my Stomper Trucks and other r/c cars and stuff, not one has this one in it.....:(  at least not one I can find.  If anyone has anymore ideas let me know.

Regards,

Jeff

Written By: Jeff on 05/14/05 at 3:28 am

Hello:

Just thought I'd try and post a few more thoughts as they came to mind....I was over on the "inthe80s"site and saw a thing called "gas guzzlers..."  well my thing was very very similar to these, except you didn't need any water and there was that "gauge" on the bottom of the car (those dials).  Mine just had the little pump, with a clear nozzle with that spiral thing in it that spin when put in the filler hole (back by the read window).  No water, but I saw those and that's the cloest thing to it so far.  Either those or the sizzlers, but no electricy (batteris) went in the pump.  It was just a mechanical connection.  Anyone, no one else had this but me.... :(  WHy did I have to take everything apart when I was little, when it broke.  I wish now I woulda kept it longer till I was old enough to actually fix it maybe.  No luck on dogbrain either yet, I've tried a few different P2Ps and several google searches but turned up nothing.

Thx,

Jeff

Written By: Jeff on 05/24/05 at 12:50 pm

*bump*

Written By: Jeff on 06/06/05 at 11:29 pm

*bump* for the last time.... :(  guess I'll never get to see this cartoon or find that toy again, I thought maybe someone else would know...guess I had some oddball thing that was a one of a kind.

Jeff

Written By: Jeff on 07/08/05 at 12:50 am

*bump*

Written By: Carrie on 07/08/05 at 1:54 am

I watched Nick in the 80's but cannot remember that. There was a web site dedicated to the shows on there in the 80's, but for the life of me I can't remember the name of the site, and I did a search but came up with nothing. Sorry! :-\\

Written By: pell on 07/08/05 at 2:14 am

Hello:

Just wondering if anyone remembered the little Nick filler cartoon called "DogBrain" that used to be inserted in between shows for filler time.  I'm looking to possiby download it, or even just the theme song.  I used to have it on a tape because I liked it when I was younger but lost the tape  :(  Also, on another topic, I'm trying to remember what a certain toy I had when I was a kid was called.  THe best I can describe it was it was a battery operated car that you would "fill with gas" with a little toy gas pump by inserting it in a hole near the rear window.  This would cause a series of dials on the bottom of the car to spin in one direction, untill the read "FULL".  The motor would then stop.  You would remove the gas nozzle and it would again begin to run, this time the wheels would turn, and the dials would go the ohet way untill the read "empty" and the car would shut off.  Does anyone remember this, and what it was called or where I could find it again?

Jeff

There is an animated short from 1988 called "Dog Brain" by J. Falconer. I don't know if this is what you're looking for. Not much info at imdb, but apparently its still making the festival circuit.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361526/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnx0dD0xfGZiPXV8cG49MHxxPSJEb2cgYnJhaW4ifG14PTIwfGxtPTUwMHxodG1sPTE_;fc=1;ft=20;fm=1

http://www.telefilm.gc.ca/05/5184.asp?id=48025750&lang=en

http://www.globalmechanic.com/commercial/people/marv/bio.shtml

Written By: Jeff on 08/20/05 at 12:29 am

Hello:

Yes that probbaly was it, but I woudln't know w/o seeing it.  Thanks for the links on it...I was hoping maybe one of em woulda had a linnk to download it but no such luck, lol my luck usually works out that way.  I doubt I'll ever see or find that little snippet again, my parents thought we had it taped but I can't find it after extensive searching thru our home movies from that time period.  Oh well.  Thanks for the info tho, if anyone ever comes across it I'll still be checking forum, I love this forum, gives us 80s kids a plcace to reminisce about our childhoods and stuff.

Thx again,

Jeff

Written By: Acidpiss on 08/20/05 at 12:42 am

Here's the classic Nick site url:

http://www.johnnorrisbrown.com/classic-nick/index.htm

Written By: refrigerationdude on 10/13/05 at 3:10 am

Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately all I could find was some info on the possibke author but no soundbytes, or anything.  WHen doing searches for the author I still came up empty handed.  I'll just have to throw this one back on the back burner forever I suppose.  Same goes for that toy I guess, that musta been some little no name brand thing maybe that my mom got at a local Jamesway or something back then.  That store doesn't even exist anymore, hasn't for many many years.  Anyone else remember it?

Thanks,

Jeff

P.S.  I finally registered hence the username.

Written By: chel-bert on 05/24/06 at 5:01 pm

Hello:

Just wondering if anyone remembered the little Nick filler cartoon called "DogBrain" that used to be inserted in between shows for filler time.  I'm looking to possiby download it, or even just the theme song.  I used to have it on a tape because I liked it when I was younger but lost the tape  :(  Also, on another topic, I'm trying to remember what a certain toy I had when I was a kid was called.  THe best I can describe it was it was a battery operated car that you would "fill with gas" with a little toy gas pump by inserting it in a hole near the rear window.  This would
cause a series of dials on the bottom of the car to spin in one direction, untill the read "FULL".  The motor would then stop.  You would remove the gas nozzle and it would again begin to run, this time the wheels would turn, and the dials would go the ohet way untill the read "empty" and the car would shut off.  Does anyone remember this, and what it was called or where I could find it again?

Jeff

Hi I read this post of yours a LONG while back but today I was on a site and found a toy that reminded me of your question.
Air Jammer Road Rammers
Dune Buggy in appearance; filled up with air by pump and then pulled out and let go.
http://www.inthe80s.com/toys/a.shtml
I looked them up online and found a pic but not much else, then again I only searched for a while:)

Written By: refrigerationdude on 12/07/06 at 4:01 pm

;D ;D I got my Dogbrain Cartoon!!! ;D ;D  Whoever posted about that "air jammer toy" (I used to have that too back in the 80s, used air and sounded like an engine when it ran, but that wasn't the other thing I'm still looking for, that was battery powered), but anyways that post brought this back up to the top and I had apparently missed a few posts in here because I had given up checking.  Anyways to make a long story short I decided to try searching again, using google, and J. Falconer, and 1st I found out eventually that MTV did a series called "Liquid Television" back in the early 90s w/ cartoon clips from the 80s, and a dogbrain by Falconer happend to be on one of the episodes.  So I was able to locate that episode online, but mtv cut out 90% of it as well as the theme music, so I still wasn't sure if that was the right cartoon or not.  So I tried google again, and found it was apparenty also put out on another thing, a video called "Rocketship Reel",which was a laserdisc of "animated shorts" by International Rocketship.  Well J. Falconer's Dogbrain was apparently on this too, so after spending an hour of fruitless searching to download this material, headed over to ebay and got lucky finally.  I found 1 person selling hte laserdisc.  I immediatley bought it, and it finally came today.  Luckily I had an LD player I bought awhile back off ebay, so I popped it in, and low and behold soon as I heard the theme music I knew it was it.  And it definitely is.  I guess that song I wanted so bad from it too was Rocketship's theme too, as its played before the other cartoons on there too.  In any event I'm happy, and thank-you to everyone who posted on here, w/ the J. Falconer lead and all.  And if anyone else was looking for it now we know too that this was the dogbrain from the 80s that was on Nick.  Does anyone remember if any other Rocketship International stuff made it to the air?  I can't recall seeing anything else, I think I would of remembred that the music was their theme if it had.

Thanks again everyone, if anyone ever has any leads on that toy let me know.

Jeff 

Subject: Re: Toy from 80s

Written By: Jeff on 02/17/09 at 9:41 pm

Just bringing this back from the dead....anyone ever hear of that car I described?  Or know what it might have been called?

Check for new replies or respond here...