inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Snickers Commercial

Written By: neild4ever on 04/28/05 at 1:57 pm

I need help here!  I recall that Paula Poundstone used to do a skit about the Snickers commerical that had a woman talking about when your appetite is "pokin' at ya, pokin' at ya".  Was this a real commercial or did Paula Poundstone just make it up for a skit?  I claim that it's a real commercial, becuase I think I remember a woman who had just finished riding her horse, but none of my friends believes me.

Subject: Re: Snickers Commercial

Written By: Triviamom on 04/28/05 at 4:13 pm

I can't recall any commercial like that, sorry.

Written By: Climber on 04/29/05 at 2:33 pm

I don't recall anything like that either...

Written By: Anna on 03/19/09 at 2:00 am

I need help here!  I recall that Paula Poundstone used to do a skit about the Snickers commerical that had a woman talking about when your appetite is "pokin' at ya, pokin' at ya".  Was this a real commercial or did Paula Poundstone just make it up for a skit?  I claim that it's a real commercial, becuase I think I remember a woman who had just finished riding her horse, but none of my friends believes me.

There was a series of these commercials.  One with a horse, one with a person at work and one other that I can't recall the details.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/19/09 at 3:32 am

Have you checked out YouTube?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/23/09 at 6:49 pm

"Snickers really satisfies"

Was that the '80s slogan?

Here's what I remember about Snickers in the '80s...the stock didn't move fast enough at the the store in our one-horse town and Snickers for some reason didn't keep like the other bars.  I remember they sometimes tasted like mothballs.  I mean, not that I've ever eaten mothballs and even if I did it wouldn be any of YOUR business anyway!
:D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/24/09 at 3:26 am

Here's what I remember about Snickers in the '80s...the stock didn't move fast enough at the the store in our one-horse town and Snickers for some reason didn't keep like the other bars.  I remember they sometimes tasted like mothballs.  I mean, not that I've ever eaten mothballs and even if I did it wouldn be any of YOUR business anyway!
Back in the 80's in the UK, Snickers then was still under it's original name of Marathon.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/25/09 at 7:43 pm

Back in the 80's in the UK, Snickers then was still under it's original name of Marathon.

In the U.S. the Marathon bar was something completely different.

Well, somewhat.  It still had chocolate and caramel, but it was a long braided thing...oh, never mind!

I don't think it's been made for at least 25 years.
:-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/26/09 at 5:40 am

In the U.S. the Marathon bar was something completely different.

Well, somewhat.  It still had chocolate and caramel, but it was a long braided thing...oh, never mind!

I don't think it's been made for at least 25 years.
:-\\

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/05_03/MaraSnicksDM_468x308.jpg

http://izonrun.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/snickers3.jpg

From wikipedia:

"Marathon was a candy bar consisting of eight inches of braided chocolate and caramel. It was manufactured by Mars, Incorporated and first sold in the United States in August 1973. The bright red packaging contained a ruler with inch markings on the reverse demonstrating that it was as long as it claimed. (The length was the result of its braided shape; it didn't weigh more than standard candy bars.) It was discontinued in October 1981. Note: There was also a 15" version of The Marathon Bar sold in Southern California at local 7/11 stores. These had the 15" ruler on the back of the red wrapper.

Television commercials of the era feature John Wayne's son Patrick as Marathon John who would regularly confront villain Quick Carl.

Another braided caramel and chocolate bar still available as of 2007 is Cadbury's Curly Wurly. This is sold in the United Kingdom, Australia and several other countries, but not in the U.S.

Marathon Bar is also sold in Canada."

Written By: docmeade on 08/29/09 at 3:54 am

Yes, there was definitely a commercial involving a woman being asked when was a good time to eat a Snickers bar.  She 's in a stable grooming a horse.  You'll find the commercial on this link: http://www.retrojunk.com/details_commercial/10446/

Written By: Graceann on 09/10/09 at 3:03 am

It really did exist - the commercial ran ad nauseum when I was a kid.  I've been trying to find it on YouTube, etc.  It featured a very young Daryl Hannah.  

Written By: Mushroom on 09/11/09 at 11:28 pm

Maybe they would have sold faster if they had deep fried them.

Written By: Coffeeseven on 04/23/10 at 8:54 am

It was 1992. Something about having a hard time concentrating with your hunger pokin at cha pokin at cha.

Written By: Kryllith on 04/23/10 at 11:05 am

Here's the commercial: http://www.retrojunk.com/details_commercial/10446/

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/27/10 at 9:04 pm

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/05_03/MaraSnicksDM_468x308.jpg

http://izonrun.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/snickers3.jpg

From wikipedia:

"Marathon was a candy bar consisting of eight inches of braided chocolate and caramel. It was manufactured by Mars, Incorporated and first sold in the United States in August 1973. The bright red packaging contained a ruler with inch markings on the reverse demonstrating that it was as long as it claimed. (The length was the result of its braided shape; it didn't weigh more than standard candy bars.) It was discontinued in October 1981. Note: There was also a 15" version of The Marathon Bar sold in Southern California at local 7/11 stores. These had the 15" ruler on the back of the red wrapper.

Television commercials of the era feature John Wayne's son Patrick as Marathon John who would regularly confront villain Quick Carl.

Another braided caramel and chocolate bar still available as of 2007 is Cadbury's Curly Wurly. This is sold in the United Kingdom, Australia and several other countries, but not in the U.S.

Marathon Bar is also sold in Canada."

The braided variety of Marathon is what I'm remembering.  1981 discontinuance sounds about right.  Summit bars disappeared a bit later. 

Written By: karen on 04/28/10 at 9:07 pm

The braided variety of Marathon is what I'm remembering.  1981 discontinuance sounds about right.  Summit bars disappeared a bit later. 

Similar to the UK Curly Wurly

http://www.sweetnapa.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/CIMG8565.thumbnail.JPG

Written By: Bobh on 05/15/10 at 3:05 pm

It really did exist - the commercial ran ad nauseum when I was a kid.  I've been trying to find it on YouTube, etc.  It featured a very young Daryl Hannah.  

Here it is

http://www.retrojunk.com/details_commercial/5126/

Written By: LindaA on 01/11/12 at 10:36 pm

No, the commercial link that is posted here is not the one Paula is referring to. The one she is referring to has an older woman who says something like, "Around half past two when hunger is pokin' atcha pokin' atcha, I reach for a snickers." It was such an annoying commercial! I seem to recall she was sitting outdoors and had kind of a folksy drawl. The one with the girl in the stable came out shortly after, probably because so many people were turned off by the pokin atcha lady that they stopped buying snickers. I've looked for that commercial everywhere but can't find it.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/12/12 at 12:41 am

The original Paula Poundstone Snickers Ad Joke dates back to one of her shows in 1990, and refers to (quoting from the tape) "the old Snickers commercial, where the woman's brushing the horse, and the guy interrupts her to ask her what time of day she enjoys a Snickers bar? (laughter) And she - she says 'well, along about noon when your appetite's, uh, pokin' at ya, pokin' at ya'?  Someone wrote that down on a piece of paper.  Typed it up!  Probably a couple of times!  There was probably a first draft!  We probably got the very best possible version of that..."

OK, so we've got the real commercial (one of which mentions the same "two or three hours after dinner", lining up with "about three hours after lunch" marketing message from the girl-in-the-stable) - from docmeade, Kryllith, and bobH.

I found a few time-of-day-stamped Snickers commercials that were probably from the series:

It's 10:59, and reporter Eric Best has worked up a hunger:
ymDj3m4nthE

It's 3:59 - dance class has you feeling really hungry:
obOJ4-GlJTc

It's 8:38 - the kids to go bed and Mom goes to work:
P3RFk24o8hw

All three of those commercials are from 1988.  If there's a 1988 commercial set at either 2:30 in the afternoon (as the original poster remembered) or "around noon" (as Paula Poundstone described it, with the difference that the commercial with the girl-with-the-horse is "about three hours after lunch" and doesn't have a narrator interrupting her), one, I think we'll have a winner here. 

Paula may have mixed her impression of "annoying narrator dude" with "girl brushing a horse" and mixed the two ideas into her routine in 1990.  As depressing as it appears, 17-24 years later (from the earliest possible commercial to the question that spawned this thread), we may still not yet have "the very best possible version of that..."

Check for new replies or respond here...