inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Your Local 80s Radio Station

Written By: juruby on 04/29/05 at 1:45 pm

Ok I am just curious to see how many cities actually have an official 80s music radio station.  I would like to know what is your local radio station for 80s mostly music only.

For example, since I live in Houston, out local 80s station is 106.9 The Point  (1069thepoint.com) .

So what are yours?

Subject: Re: Your Local 80s Radio Station

Written By: rubixgirl on 04/29/05 at 2:07 pm

97.3/99.3 FM The Maxx in Chattanooga, TN

www.maxchattanooga.com

Written By: Climber on 04/29/05 at 2:27 pm

Mix 104.1 The Eighties Station
Minneapolis/St. Paul & suburbs

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 04/29/05 at 3:11 pm

97.3 the coast...the best variety of the 80' 90's and today....its a totally 80's weekend!...on 97.3 the coast!

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/29/05 at 3:16 pm

Back in the 80s my favourite radio station was LBC.

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 04/29/05 at 4:03 pm

In Sydney, the closest thing we have is 101.7 WS FM. It plays mosstly 70s and 80s, with the odd track from the 60s or 90s, "classic hits". They also have nights and occasionally weekends devoted to the 80s. Most days, like most commercial radio stations, they play the same songs over and over again, which is why I don't listen to the radio. If however, I am forced to listen, WS would be my choice.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/29/05 at 7:37 pm

The closest we have is Classic Hits 97.7 (which plays 70s, 80s and 90s pop) and Hauraki 1017 (which plays 70s, 80s, 90s rock) and various 80s shows such as Retro Saturday, All 80s At 8 etc on various radio stations.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/30/05 at 5:36 am

The closest we have is Classic Hits 97.7 (which plays 70s, 80s and 90s pop) and Hauraki 1017 (which plays 70s, 80s, 90s rock) and various 80s shows such as Retro Saturday, All 80s At 8 etc on various radio stations.
That sounds similar to Capital Gold here in the UK, but I do find the music repetative after a while, but you do hear an occassional gem.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/30/05 at 5:53 am

That sounds similar to Capital Gold here in the UK, but I do find the music repetative after a while, but you do hear an occassional gem.
I wouldn't be surprised. Alot of things here are derived from things in the UK.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/30/05 at 5:55 am

I wouldn't be surprised. Alot of things here are derived from things in the UK.
I am now struggling to think any many of any NZ singers that have made it big over here apart from Dame Kiri Te Kanawa.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/30/05 at 6:05 am

I am now struggling to think any many of any NZ singers that have made it big over here apart from Dame Kiri Te Kanawa.
Apart from Crowded House, I can't think of any either

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/30/05 at 6:07 am

What was that great single Crowded House brought out in the 80's?? hmm

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/30/05 at 6:08 am

Don't Dream It's Over?

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/30/05 at 6:08 am

Don't Dream It's Over

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/30/05 at 6:09 am

That's the one!!

Written By: Skippy on 05/01/05 at 3:41 am

WKLU Coooooool 101.9  Owned by a radio geek who has his own private phone line that you can leave messages on. Only 4 minutes of commercials every hour, usually at the end of the hour, had no commercials when they started. Play mostly '80s with '70s mixed in. Listen to them live on the web. THIS IS NOT A SHAMELESS PLUG.  ::) ;) ::) ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D 

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/01/05 at 6:51 am

I live in San Jose (south Bay Area in Northern California -- that sounds contradictory, LOL) and we don't have an official 80's station, but Mix 106.5 - usually an "80's 90's and Today" station - used to have all 80's weekends, every weekend for about the past year.

They altered it a little bit to do a "Whatever, whenever" weekend, along with 101.3 (K101) - a similar programming one - following suit.

At first I was worried, but this is actually just as good (if not better! With two). They range from mid 70's to today, but they usually do at least half 80's anyway, but I've been hearin' songs I haven't heard since I was little - that's a treat. :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/17/05 at 1:40 am

BUMP

Interestingly, my above post is already outdated. 101.3, out of San Francisco still does "Whatever", but last weekend, Mix 106.5 went back to Totally 80's.

I wonder if the reception to it wasn't that good?

Written By: hornet on 05/17/05 at 5:51 am

an innocent enough statement Philip Eno ! ...but being from a U.K music site myself ....the U.K did indeed miss out on a lot of stuff from
NZ and Aust from what i've noticed ...no idea why, but they did! ... it absolutely amazed me with what people were'nt familiar with  :o ( perhaps it's the marketing demand happening )

where i am ..we have "gold 104.3"  .... this would be the closest to the question asked here ( 70's 80's ) ...but as previously mentioned ... repeat after repeat ) .... i usually just listen to my A.M station ( yes..i said A.M  ;D ) - talkback - for the arguements. ;D

for music ...i'll listen to my cd's !  ???

Written By: bj26 on 05/17/05 at 6:49 am

I'm going back in time to the early 80s in Seattle, it was an AM station that started with the modern rock state of the art format.  The commercial giants were only into top 40, but this little AM station began playing all of the groups, imports, punk, new wave, etc., it was to this day my favorite station ever, KJET.
http://theacf.com/kjet/

Written By: Zebra on 05/17/05 at 3:35 pm

Radio Drops from Strassbourg (France). This was a Station owned by a Discotheque in Germany. Cool Discomusic all day long played from very good DJs.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...