inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Billy Idol songs:

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 04/29/05 at 10:07 pm

I choose "Flesh For Fantasy" and "Dancing With Myself". "White Wedding" and "Rebel Yell" are also great, but like so many good songs, have been over-played.

Subject: Re: Billy Idol songs:

Written By: ktelqueen on 04/29/05 at 10:13 pm

great topic..my alter ego prior to ktelqueen was 'idolette' in junior high  ::) so this is a very tough call..

White Wedding!
Dancing With Myself
Flesh For Fantasy
Rebel Yell
Mony Mony
To Be A Lover
Sweet Sixteen
Eyes Without A Face

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 04/29/05 at 10:17 pm

I LOVE his music!!!!  8)

Eyes Without A Face
Rebel Yell
Flesh For Fantasy
Dancing With Myself
White Wedding

...they're all cool!!!!

Written By: Mark In The Dark on 04/29/05 at 10:17 pm

great topic..my alter ego prior to ktelqueen was 'idolette' in junior high  ::) so this is a very tough call..

Eyes Without A Face
THAT is a great song, Maria ;)

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 04/30/05 at 6:14 am

Rebel Yell 
Eyes Without A Face
Dancing With Myself
White Wedding
Mony Mony

I couldn't just pick one.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/30/05 at 6:18 am

Rebel Yell 
Eyes Without A Face
Dancing With Myself
White Wedding
Mony Mony

I couldn't just pick one.
Good songs

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/30/05 at 6:28 am

Rebel Yell

Written By: mandamoo on 04/30/05 at 7:22 am

Eyes Without A Face

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/30/05 at 9:33 am

White Wedding and Mony Mony

Tanya

Written By: _adam_ on 04/30/05 at 2:48 pm

Flesh For Fantasy and Rebell yell

Written By: MarcDaShark on 04/30/05 at 3:16 pm

I like 'em all, but I picked Eyes Without a face and Other for the Catch My Fall remix.

The funny thing about Eyes Without a Face, is that when Billy was in the video shoot, the set lights were so hot, that they set fire to his contact lenses and thus making him temporarily blind. 

So he was "A Face Without Eyes."   :P

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 04/30/05 at 3:30 pm

The funny thing about Eyes Without a Face, is that when Billy was in the video shoot, the set lights were so hot, that they set fire to his contact lenses and thus making him temporarily blind. 

:o Now that would've hurt!

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 05/01/05 at 1:55 am

ONLY TWO ??????????????

Thats too hard !

Gotta love the Billy - first man I ever saw buck naked on a stage in front of 8000 people !

All of them !!!!!!!
Dancing With Myself
Hot In The City
White Wedding
Catch My Fall
Flesh For Fantasy
Rebel Yell
Eyes Without A Face
To Be A Lover
Don't Need A Gun
Sweet Sixteen
Mony Mony
Other - Speed

I have a necklace that I call my "Chris Isaak Billy Idol Face Without Eyes Necklace" - yes that is indeed a long name for a piece of jewellery.

Basically its kinda like an Easter Island sorta face - with no eyes. C Isaak helped me pick it out - and we both said "its like a billy idol song" !!!!!

So when people comment on it - thats what I call it !

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/01/05 at 6:46 am

I went with "Mony Mony" and "Eyes without a Face". The latter especially - makes me wish Billy had done more slower songs.

In all honesty, I wouldn't be doing this post justice if I didn't mention almost every track on the Rebel Yell album is great! "Blue Highway" is kind of mellow but heavy synth rock at the same time - great driving song, seems like it could fit the Beverly Hills Cop movie & soundtrack. "Do not Stand in the Shadows" flat out rocks - probably the most punkish, heaviest song on there. "Crank Call" is a fun, middle-paced song.

PS: His new album Devil's Playground kicks too! Much better than I expected. First single "Scream" is an updated, 2005 Rebel Yell with Billy's voice a bit deeper than normal (throughout the whole album in fact). Along the way, it's a mix of old and modern-style rock. While it's not quite as solid as RY, it's worth it. :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/01/05 at 11:29 am

Dancing With Myself
Mony Mony

Written By: Kitteness on 05/02/05 at 1:11 am

Eyes Without A Face
Rebel Yell

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/02/05 at 1:15 am

Eyes Without A Face!!!!!

Written By: Kareoke Queen on 05/02/05 at 2:58 am

I choose "Flesh For Fantasy" and "Dancing With Myself". "White Wedding" and "Rebel Yell" are also great, but like so many good songs, have been over-played.

I voted for "Rebel Yell" and "Eyes Without A Face", but I will also have to say "Hot In The City" too.

I also have the versions of "Eyes Without A Face" and "Rebel Yell" from Scooter who are another one of my fave bands. They are such fantastic covers. Check them out and you'll agree with me.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/02/05 at 7:40 pm

Eyes Without A Face by far! :)

Written By: Kareoke Queen on 05/03/05 at 12:50 am

Eyes Without A Face by far! :)

Have you heard the versions of "Eyes Without A Face" and "Rebel Yell" from Scooter?

Written By: MarcDaShark on 05/03/05 at 12:42 pm

I suggest that for anybody who likes Rebel Yell and White Wedding should listen to his new song "Scream."  You can tell that Billy was trying to score another hit with something along the lines of those two songs.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/03/05 at 12:59 pm

Have you heard the versions of "Eyes Without A Face" and "Rebel Yell" from Scooter?
Do you mean this Scooter?
http://www.disgalaxy.addr.com/Muppets/Scooter1.jpg

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 05/03/05 at 6:06 pm

;D Nice one, Philip, though I think "Dancing With Myself" would be more of a song for him!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/03/05 at 9:54 pm

No, but I'll check it out if I can find it on the net ;)

Written By: MarcDaShark on 05/03/05 at 10:56 pm

I suggest that for anybody who likes Rebel Yell and White Wedding should listen to his new song "Scream."  You can tell that Billy was trying to score another hit with something along the lines of those two songs.

The last time I checked, you can hear it on the main page of his website at www.billyidol.com

Wait till you see the spray paint, and a few seconds later you'll hear the tune.

Written By: WembleyBooberGobo on 05/04/05 at 6:01 pm

I was just listening to his Greatest Hits Cd the other day. He has alot of good songs. Lately my favorite has been Eyes Without A Face but it changes often.

Written By: whistledog on 08/12/06 at 1:42 am

"Hot in the City" and "Mony Mony"

Did you know that Dancing With Myself, though it was a popular video, never charted in America?  It was a minor UK hit in 1980 as recorded by Generation X, but according to the charts, Billy never had a hit with it as a solo artist in America.  He did reached #39 in Canada with it though

Written By: Chasey on 08/12/06 at 3:08 pm

They are all masterpieces.  Billy is the man!!  8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/12/06 at 6:15 pm

Without a doubt-White Wedding. Followed by Rebel Yell. I like how Tommy James and Shondals did Mony, Mony better (but Billy Idol didn't do TOO bad).

Cat

Written By: KKay on 08/12/06 at 8:35 pm

catch my fall
eyes without a face

Written By: robby76 on 08/12/06 at 9:28 pm

"Hot in the City" and "Mony Mony"

These are my choices too.

Not heard of the rest but I'm on a mission to know what "Eyes Without A Face" is!

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/13/06 at 5:21 am

Hawk, the Slayer's Top 7 Billy Idol Picks:

7. Dancing With Myself
6. Yellin' At the Xmas Tree
5. Flesh For Fantasy
4. Shock To The System
3. Body Snatcher
2. White Wedding
AND! Hawk's All-Time Pick From The Cyber-Punk:
1. Eyes Without A Face

Written By: Chasey on 08/17/06 at 2:38 am

A Billy Idol poll has to be one of the hardest!!

The man is a legend, just love all his 80's stuff.

Written By: zotsfreak on 08/17/06 at 5:27 am

ALL OF BILLY IDOL MUSIC ROCKS!!    Know what else is cool??  Check out the Sex Pistols film from theie 1970's early days "The Filth And The Fury" and you will see a very young Billy Idol in the audience at one of their club performances!!

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/17/06 at 1:18 pm

The Lead Punk was also in a band called "Chelsea", and they experienced their greatest success with Billy in their ranks.

When "URGH!" came out, Billy had just left their ranks. I mean, just!

Although their performance was still quite good, they were in their prime with Billy, the Ace face.

Written By: DJ Midas on 08/20/06 at 1:19 am

"Catch My Fall" and "Eyes Without A Face" are my top two favourite Billy Idol tunes.

I also like "Don't Need A Gun" and "Heroin".

Written By: Nostalgic on 08/22/06 at 9:43 am

I went with "Eyes Without A Face" and "Flesh For Fantasy". "Eyes" is my favourite, "Flesh" is second.

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 09/12/06 at 1:56 pm

Flesh For Fantasy 
Eyes Without A Face

Written By: Southern Image on 09/13/06 at 3:33 pm

Flesh For Fantasy 
Eyes Without A Face

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/13/06 at 9:03 pm

Yep.

"Scream", (Devil's Playground, 2005) and "Speed" (Speed, 1994), and "Shock to the System" (Cyberpunk, 1993) are all basically the same track.  The guitar riff is basically the same as "To Be A Lover (Mother of Mercy mix)" (from a 12" collection of remixes ca. 1986-8).

And y'know what?  I don't care how formulaic it is, I'm just grateful that none of those tracks have ever been on the mixtape/mixCD/MP3playlist when the offending audio device has been my car's stereo within 10 miles of the nearest cop :)

More Idol weirdness:  I remember an audience/dancefloor shoutback of ("hey motha*bleep*er, get laid, get f*bleep*ed!") being sung out between every line of  the verses "Mony Mony", along with ("effin' bovine-excrement") being sung over "ride your pony / mony mony" background vocals during the chorus. 

I remember rumors that there was a remix of "Mony Mony" that actually included the shoutback, but I never heard the remix, let alone ever manage to get my hands on it.  Did such a remix ever exist, even as a white-label unreleased thing?  For that matter, was the live dancefloor shoutback in effect everywhere, or was it just a weird local phenomenon?

Check for new replies or respond here...