inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did synths start getting used in music?

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/02/05 at 4:58 pm

The emergence of MTV in about late '82/83 was when synthesized music got popular (there were still hit songs in 1980-81 that didn't really use 'em), but I'm inclinded to say 1979.

Blondie's "Heart of Glass," M's "Pop Music" (total one-hit wonder there, LOL) and even veterans like Bad Company's "Rock & Roll Fantasy" came out with songs that year using them. '79 also strikes me as the beginng year of 80's sounding music (even if it didn't get massively popular until a few years later).

Were they used before this, though? I'd also be interested in how the synthesizer itself came to be, and what made it "catch on" as massively as it did (which is a good thing!)? ;D

Subject: Re: When did synths start getting used in music?

Written By: AL-B on 05/02/05 at 5:10 pm

The emergence of MTV in about late '82/83 was when synthesized music got popular (there were still hit songs in 1980-81 that didn't really use 'em), but I'm inclinded to say 1979.

Blondie's "Heart of Glass," M's "Pop Music" (total one-hit wonder there, LOL) and even veterans like Bad Company's "Rock & Roll Fantasy" came out with songs that year using them. '79 also strikes me as the beginng year of 80's sounding music (even if it didn't get massively popular until a few years later).

Were they used before this, though? I'd also be interested in how the synthesizer itself came to be, and what made it "catch on" as massively as it did (which is a good thing!)? ;D
There was quite a bit of music in the 70's that used synthesizers. One of the first major albums that really used synthesizers as an integral part of it's musical structure was "Who's Next" by the Who (1971). "Baba O' Riley" and "Won't Get Fooled Again," two tracks off this album (and two of the Who's best-known songs) both used synthesizers extensively. One of the first artists to use synthesizers almost exclusively was Gary Wright. He had a couple of major hits in 1975-76 with "Dream Weaver" and "Love Is Alive."
    Synthesizers were more widely used in the 70's than a lot of people may realize. But they were used mainly as a backing keyboard instrument back then. It wasn't until the 80's that the synthesizer came to the forefront and pop artists began to go to a more "techno" sound.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/02/05 at 5:18 pm

There was quite a bit of music in the 70's that used synthesizers. One of the first major albums that really used synthesizers as an integral part of it's musical structure was "Who's Next" by the Who (1971). "Baba O' Riley" and "Won't Get Fooled Again," two tracks off this album (and two of the Who's best-known songs) both used synthesizers extensively. One of the first artists to use synthesizers almost exclusively was Gary Wright. He had a couple of major hits in 1975-76 with "Dream Weaver" and "Love Is Alive."
Synthesizers were more widely used in the 70's than a lot of people may realize. But they were used mainly as a backing keyboard instrument back then. It wasn't until the 80's that the synthesizer came to the forefront and pop artists began to go to a more "techno" sound.

Cool information, AL - thanks for sharing (and I thought I knew all I could about the 80's, LOL).

There were some 70's songs that, I always thought seemed a bit 80's-ish. It makes sense as to why now. ;D In fact, now that I think about it, I think ELO might've done it on some of their stuff. I do wonder if Disco might've partly inspired the "80's synth sound" in a sense (even if there was a backlash against it in 1980 or so) - some of the early new wave songs like "Heart of Glass" were clearly Disco-ish.

Written By: zcrito on 05/02/05 at 5:35 pm

What about Moog synthesizers in the '60s with groups like The Moody Blues?

Although the first popular use of that type of synthesizer was probably with Jonathan King's "Everyone's Gone to the Moon".

Written By: AL-B on 05/02/05 at 6:00 pm

What about Moog synthesizers in the '60s with groups like The Moody Blues?

Although the first popular use of that type of synthesizer was probably with Jonathan King's "Everyone's Gone to the Moon".

That may very well be. I'm not sure, but I think that "Telstar" by the Tornadoes (1962) also may have used early some form of synthesizers.

Written By: MarcDaShark on 05/02/05 at 7:20 pm

The Beach Boys were one of the first bands in the 60's to use a synthesizer in one of their songs.  Then, in the 70's, Kraftwerk became the very first fully electronic band.  Kraftwerk used drum machines, synthesizers, vocoders, and computer speech to create what they called "Robot pop."  This idea of music was an inspiration to bands from the 70's up until today.  In the early eighties, probably one of the most popular recipes for a New Wave band was the punk sounds of The Sex Pistols mixed with the synths and dancey sounds of Kraftwerk.

Kraftwerk has now been known as one of the most inspirational bands of the late 20th century, and as far as I know, their idea will be around for quite a while.  Until we find something better than electricity, electronic is here to stay.

Moog (pronounced Mogue), was the very first line of synthesizers which was created by Robert Moog.  It was a very popular line and was used very much in a lot of the music of the 70's and 80's.  Roland's TR-808 was very popular drum synth as well.

I know this because I myself am an electronic musician and have read history about it.

Written By: redhead007 on 05/02/05 at 7:42 pm

That may very well be. I'm not sure, but I think that "Telstar" by the Tornadoes (1962) also may have used early some form of synthesizers.

I also remember "Lucky Man" by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer from the early 70s (I think ??? Correct me if I'm wrong:)). The last minute or so of that song is a Moog synthesizer solo. (albeit one that they didn't even know they were taping  ;))

Written By: zcrito on 05/02/05 at 8:27 pm

Good example.
Can we back it up any more years? Can anyone think of any songs from the '50s that used synthesizers? I can't off hand.
Maybe it all got started with music in films in the '50s?

Written By: iluvthe80s on 05/04/05 at 12:34 pm

There were a few disco songs that used synths too, such as Donna Summer's 'I Feel Love' and Ami Stewart's 'Knock on Wood'  :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/17/05 at 1:38 am

BUMP

There were a few disco songs that used synths too, such as Donna Summer's 'I Feel Love' and Ami Stewart's 'Knock on Wood' :)

The only disco song I ever really liked was "Disco Inferno", so I'm not as familiar with the genre, but I believe it.

You can definitely see how some songs as late as 1984 (i.e. Pointer Sisters' "Jump for my Love") were disco influenced, so I guess there wasn't that much of a difference between that and Disco itself. Both were dance music in a sense. ;)

Written By: banglebabe on 05/18/05 at 12:11 pm

According to Goldmine magazine, Micky Dolenz of the Monkees was one of the first musicians to ever own a moog synthesizer and it was used on Monkee songs. They showed him playing it in their video for "daily nightly" too. Some interesting stuff I pulled up:

He and Hassilev went to an AES (Audio Engineering Society) convention to borrow a Moog synthesizer from its creator, electronics guru Robert Moog. Beaver did some work for the Moog company. He sold a Moog to Monkees drummer Micky Dolenz. Dolenz, with Beaver, recorded the Moog on two Monkee songs that were featured on the group's fourth album Pisces, Aqaurius, Capricorn, & Jones, Ltd., which was released just after Cosmic Sounds

source: http://www.answers.com/topic/the-zodiac

The Monkees had the first pop album to use a Moog Synthesizer (two FULL years before the Beatles), as well as having songs about drugs, groupies, the Sunset Strip riots, and other topics the Raiders would never touch.

source: http://www.psycho-jello.com/monkees/bastards1.html

"Daily Nightly"
A Nesmith composition, with vocals by Dolenz, notable for Micky's performance on the Moog synthesizer, one of only three in existence at the time.

source: http://home.earthlink.net/~tvman/nonhits.html

Written By: Phaeded on 05/18/05 at 3:03 pm

Cabaret Voltaire (Sheffield, UK) were almost as early as Kraftwerk but much more experimental.  There most popular song was perhaps "Sensoria" - remixed in the '90s but you can find the original on a Rhino compilation of 80s music.

And I like Kraftwerk - for those who don't know, the theme music played at the end of Mike Meyer's "Sprocket" skits on SNL("now is the time on Sprockets when we dance!") it was a sped-up Kraftwerk song: "Electric Cafe'".  

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/18/05 at 9:52 pm

According to Goldmine magazine, Micky Dolenz of the Monkees was one of the first musicians to ever own a moog synthesizer and it was used on Monkee songs. They showed him playing it in their video for "daily nightly" too. Some interesting stuff I pulled up:

The Monkees had the first pop album to use a Moog Synthesizer (two FULL years before the Beatles), as well as having songs about drugs, groupies, the Sunset Strip riots, and other topics the Raiders would never touch.

source: http://www.psycho-jello.com/monkees/bastards1.html

Hey that's cool - thanks for sharing that. :)

I completely forgot about the Monkees, but they were pretty revolutionary for their time too (kind of a boy band, but more in a pop/rock style). If that was 2 years before the Beatles - geez, that must've been groundbreaking for 1962! :D

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 05/19/05 at 8:52 am

There most popular song was perhaps "Sensoria" - remixed in the '90s but you can find the original on a Rhino compilation of 80s music.

Wasn't in remixed in 1984?

Check for new replies or respond here...