inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best Female Rock Band

Written By: popmusik on 05/03/05 at 8:52 pm

Vote for your favorite female rock band of the 80's!  I know Heart isn't totally female, but they are the main focus of the group and well worth mentioning in this poll!

Subject: Re: Best Female Rock Band

Written By: migi on 05/04/05 at 4:52 am

Bangles!

Those girls were and still are babes! Good songs also  ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/04/05 at 8:32 pm

The Go-Gos and the Bangles

Tanya

Written By: Todd on 05/04/05 at 10:10 pm

GO-GO's!!  The Bangles were great...but the Go-Go's were the ones who set the standard for ALL-female bands.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/04/05 at 10:57 pm

I went with Heart hands down. Many of there songs in the 80s are very very good. Their 70s stuff is harder. I even have a copy of " Ring Them Bells " they did with Layne Staley of Alice in Chains ( which I *think* was done late 80s to early 90s ).

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/04/05 at 11:25 pm

Heart kicks BUTT over the sappy competition here....IMO ;) What about Pat Benatar? She's STILL rocking :)

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 05/05/05 at 6:39 am

What about Pat Benatar? She's STILL rocking
She's not a band.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/05/05 at 9:20 am

She's not a band.
I think her husband , the drummer, bassist and keyboardist would disagree ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/05/05 at 9:43 am

Don't get me wrong...I love The Bangles, and the Go-Go's but they aren't Rock bands...they are "Pop"...that's why you'll never hear them on true Classic Rock Stations :-\\

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/05/05 at 7:42 pm

I went with Heart - but only judging by their 3 albums from 1985-1990 (self-titled, Bad Animals & Brigade).

To me this period was much more catchy and memorable than anything they did before - kind of a cross between the pop/rock of Starship and the slightly hard rock sound of Loverboy or Journey.

"These Dreams" was the pretty ballad that introduced me to them when I was 3 or so, but stuff like "If Looks could Kill" and even the controversial hit "All I wanna do is Make Love to You" prove they can rock too. :)

Vixen was a great pop/metal band as well - kinda a female Bon Jovi in sound. "Cryin", "Edge of a Broken Heart" and the mid-tempo album track "Love Made Me" are instant classics!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/06/05 at 12:24 pm

Heart.....followed by The Go Go's.  :)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/07/05 at 7:56 am

The Go Go's

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 05/07/05 at 3:28 pm

Don't get me wrong...I love The Bangles, and the Go-Go's but they aren't Rock bands...they are "Pop"...that's why you'll never hear them on true Classic Rock Stations :-\\

The Bangles put out their share of sugar pop, it's true, but they also had their harder-rocking moments, such as "In A Different Light"and "Hazy Shade Of Winter." I used to play their Different Light album to absolute death and it contains some pretty diverse sounds. For instance, if you were to play "Walking Down Your Street" and "Following" ack to back, people not in the know would probably not pick them for the same band.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/07/05 at 4:14 pm

The Bangles put out their share of sugar pop, it's true, but they also had their harder-rocking moments, such as "In A Different Light"and "Hazy Shade Of Winter." I used to play their Different Light album to absolute death and it contains some pretty diverse sounds. For instance, if you were to play "Walking Down Your Street" and "Following" ack to back, people not in the know would probably not pick them for the same band.
I can appreciate that...I just would never classify them as a "Rock" band ;)

Written By: dinikid on 05/08/05 at 8:52 am

I have to say I have seen Heart twice and they ROCKED!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/08/05 at 9:18 am

I have to say I have seen Heart twice and they ROCKED!
I caught them for the first time, last year in Denver. Now THAT is the real definition of a Female Rock Band :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/08/05 at 9:30 am

The Bangles

Written By: Kitteness on 05/08/05 at 5:19 pm

The Bangles

Written By: Bobby on 05/08/05 at 6:26 pm

Bangles and then Heart.

Only heard one song from Vixen (Edge of a broken heart) and it was a cracker!  :D

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/08/05 at 6:38 pm

You're right. I actually just heard "Hazy Shade" on an online 80's station yesterday. I didn't recognize it till I read the artist/song title. It does rock alot more for them - I thought it could've been a Scandal or a Heart song, in fact. ;)

On a semi similar note - I do think it's kind of a shame that an artist will often be "categorized" by their original sound, making other formats or audiences uninterested in them.

For instance, Laura Branigan was categorized as a 'dance' artist from "Gloria"s success, meaning songs like "Take my Self Control" or "Solitaire" -- which were more rock oriented -- didn't really have a chance on rock stations, the way they may have if they'd been her first songs.

Written By: 90s boy on 05/09/05 at 1:57 am

the Go Go's Bangels and Heart all three were the best ;)

Written By: BCRichrocker on 05/29/05 at 8:10 pm

I think Vixen was a cool girl group. And they're back together again, BTW.

Written By: whistledog on 10/01/05 at 1:14 am

The Bangles, but my all-time fave of the 80's was Fuzzbox :)

Written By: TC1970 on 10/01/05 at 7:24 am

Heart

Written By: OliverDK on 10/01/05 at 7:57 am

Being mostly into metal in the 80s I'd have to say Vixen, but Heart isn't half bad either, love the Bangles (Or rather Susanna Hoffs) too.

Written By: drewbru on 10/01/05 at 9:38 pm

Being mostly into metal in the 80s I'd have to say Vixen, but Heart isn't half bad either, love the Bangles (Or rather Susanna Hoffs) too.

I also loved the Bangles -- good music, AND good to look at!

Written By: thecharmed01 on 10/10/05 at 6:03 am

I always have loved heart.......barracuda and of course the newer all I wanna do is make love to you.......

damn good songs those  ;D

Written By: Satish on 10/10/05 at 12:18 pm

The Go-Gos.

But I like Heart, too.

Written By: GREEN67 on 10/11/05 at 12:59 am

8) Has everyone of you lost your mind???  The BEST Voice of FEMALE ROCK is ANN WILSON....she surpasses anyone of the chicks in that ERA by FAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HEART rocks!!!..Ann and NANCY ROCK out!!!....I have seen them so many times and they never givin a bad performance.....Yes...there were a few that sang pretty good..Stevie Nicks...Pat Benetar...But NANCY rules!!!... :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/11/05 at 11:19 pm

The Go-Go's
OF COURSE!!!

Heart is more of a '70s and '80s band.  They started off as folk-pop in the early '70s, commenced to more commercially saleable hard rock in the late '70s, and remade themselves into top 40 pop for the '80s.  All Heart incarnations had one thing in common:  THEY ALL BIT THE BIG ONE!

Written By: Cafe80s on 10/12/05 at 1:48 am

I think Vixen was a cool girl group. And they're back together again, BTW.

I'm totally with you on that. I don't think you could call The Bangles rock & even though they might have had a handfull of good songs they really didn't "rock". Besides that Eternal Flame song gave me the sh*ts & still does.

Subject: Best Female Rock Band

Written By: Dude111 on 02/19/18 at 9:45 pm

I didnt see HEART in the poll at first!! (Ah man!!)

I picked VIXEN

Written By: Howard on 02/20/18 at 7:49 am

Go-Go's
Heart

Check for new replies or respond here...