inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Please help ID this song!

Written By: Hobbes on 05/18/05 at 11:20 pm

Earlier this week a wicked case of Spring Fever hit me...hard. I found myself looking through a box of old mix tapes I made in high school (or was it Jr. High? memory is the first to go). Of course I had to pop them in my Walkman. I came across one song that I could not identify. It was recorded off the radio (hey! don't look at me like that! this was before the age of CD's and I'll bet I'm not the only one who has done this) so the quality isn't the best.

It has a very 80's BritPop sound to it, heavy on piano. I wrote down the lyrics, but I can't be sure that they are 100% accurate (you know how singers like to slur their words). Can someone tell me the name of the song and who sings it?

Lyrics:

Take a walk downtown, see the monkeys(?) going 'round
Full of pride and greed, try to tell me what's goin' down
Well, you and your dreams deep in your soul
I got mine, yeah, I'll be the one to rock n roll

(chorus):
How many times have you lied outside
To make yourself feel fine?
How many times have you cried inside
I'll tell you I'm not growing old

????? from sleep, ?????
But a smile outside covers lies like the ocean tide
Planting seeds that bloom all year, and love so wide
Use flowers so colorful, they can't be held down inside

chorus (x2)

I'm not growing old (x3)
I'm not, I'm not, I'm not growing old (x3)

I've Googled the lyrics and came up empty. Now I have this song stuck in my head (earworm!). Any help would be appreciated!

Subject: Re: Please help ID this song!

Written By: Kryllith on 05/19/05 at 2:22 pm

"Growing Old" by The Origin.

http://www.mp3.com/albums/11912/summary.html

Written By: Hobbes on 05/19/05 at 8:56 pm

Thanks Kryllith! You're the best!  :)

"Growing Old" by The Origin.

http://www.mp3.com/albums/11912/summary.html

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/20/05 at 12:20 am

I found myself looking through a box of old mix tapes I made in high school (or was it Jr. High? memory is the first to go). Of course I had to pop them in my Walkman. I came across one song that I could not identify. It was recorded off the radio (hey! don't look at me like that! this was before the age of CD's and I'll bet I'm not the only one who has done this) so the quality isn't the best.

I was gonna look for the song since it didn't sound familar, but I was beaten to it!

BTW, on the tape-making issue: if it's consolation at all, I still make mixes (I collect used 80's music alot, and even as a kid, I had alot of tapes) and record off the radio. ;D

Not 'cuz I don't burn CD's (I started doing that recently and have tons made!), but I've made tapes for almost 10 years now, so it's "easy" in a sense.

Written By: Jeff on 05/20/05 at 12:47 am

Ya know I just was doing the same thing last week....looking for that "Dogbrain" theme that I thought I had taped somewhere but it must have gotton erased.  In any event I was coming across tons of songs I had taped off the radio as a kid before the days of "Napster"...many that I totally forgot about, but the 1st time hearing them...dman did it bring back memories.  Some I was able to find, others I either don't have enough to identify it or can't remember it at all.  I wish there was a way to put up sound bytes on here...for people to hear these snippets...theres a few I'd like to ID if possible too.

Jeff

Check for new replies or respond here...