inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Extended Versions

Written By: Zebra on 05/22/05 at 3:30 pm

The Maxi- (Extended) Version became very popular in the 80s. I think there were many people like me who loved the long tracks with long Intros. But i know that there are a lot of people which think that the Maxis were too long to listen. What do you think?

Subject: Re: Extended Versions

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 05/22/05 at 10:15 pm

I like an extended version that brings something new to the song. Culture Club's "Move Away" and Bronski Beat's "Small Town Boy" are both great examples. Some 12" are just repetitive and totally unadventurous like "I Am" by the Uncanny X-Men (I would have done it so much differently!)

Written By: Jennifer028 on 05/23/05 at 12:51 pm

Usually no

Written By: whistledog on 05/27/06 at 9:48 pm

It depends on the title

Usually, I prefer the original 7" versions of songs, but on one case, being New Order's Bizarre Love Triangle, the Extended Dance Mix was better than the album version

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/27/06 at 10:26 pm

It really depends on the song. Sometimes I can go for it; sometimes I can't.

I did hate it when I would tape a song off the radio and it was a maxi version rather than the single version I wanted.

Written By: karen on 06/01/06 at 11:33 am

It depends on the title

Written By: Chasey on 06/02/06 at 10:23 am

Really does depend on the title, but extended mixes really do throw up some classics and certainly in the case when the single has been cut short and you really want it to go on and on forever....

2 cases in point here - Nik Kershaw's 'Wouldn't It Be Good' and Mr Mister's 'Broken Wings'.  Both singles cut short in my opinion, but the extended versions doing them real justice.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/02/06 at 3:57 pm

I have a really good mix of "Our House".

Written By: lizjagger on 06/02/06 at 6:43 pm

I like extended versions more than the single. Level 42 'something about you' and 'leaving me now' extended is always on repeat.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/02/06 at 11:30 pm

The Maxi- (Extended) Version became very popular in the 80s. I think there were many people like me who loved the long tracks with long Intros. But i know that there are a lot of people which think that the Maxis were too long to listen. What do you think?

If you were a radio DJ, there was nothing to be gained with the 12". 

If you were a live/dance DJ, it had to be a very good 12" to keep people interested in the track for the extra few minutes.

The Art of Noise had some spectacular 12" mixes, typically two or three good ones for every single released from every album, and maybe half a dozen spectacular ones.  Two that come to mind are Dragnet ("12 inch Arthur Baker Mix"), 6:14, featured a lot of samples that didn't appear on the original, and Peter Gunn ("Twang Mix feat. Duane Eddy") 7:29, featured some vocals and stereo effects that appeared on no other mixes.  Heard each of 'em once on the radio.  Easy floorfillers - everyone was familiar enough with the original that they got on the floor, and when the mixers took it to the next level (while remaining true enough to the original so as not to scare people off the floor),  the crowd just went nuts

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/03/06 at 2:30 pm

You have to like the song first, and then the mix has to be good. If it's just some producer inserting an extra three minutes of dance beats, it usually comes off p*ss-poor!

Depeche Mode, New Order, Heaven 17, and the Pet Shop Boys made really good extended mixes.

http://real1.phononet.de/cover/small/013/563/f6j8h20d.j31

Written By: whistledog on 06/03/06 at 11:47 pm

One of the best out there was the Night Version of Hungry Like the Wolf by Duran Duran, which is the version that comes from the now deleted Carnival EP.  I love it more than the single version, that I only ever use it when I make my own mix CDs

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/03/06 at 11:48 pm

If it's just some producer inserting an extra three minutes of dance beats, it usually comes off p*ss-poor!

The late-80s lawsuits that effectively killed the 12" remix for about a decade or two.  Only recently has the technology been available to (easily) strip out vocals resequence things effectively before putting the vocals back into the track. 

But oh, those mid-80s sample-intensive remixes.  An outfit called DMC ("Disco Mix Club") released some of the most sample-heavy mixes of the decade.  The works of DJ Dakeyne, Pete Slaghuis,  Mike Gray, Bizzie Bee, Sanny-X, Alan Coulthard, and the immortal Ben Leibrand all appeared around this time. 

Insanely great stuff, and about as far removed from (sorry, Ultimix, I've gotta call you out on this for about 3/4 of your mixes) slipping in an extra minute or two of looped backbeat as mixing could get.

I'd put the "Substance Abuse" mix of New Order's Blue Monday, and the Dakeyne remix of Sigue Sigue Sputnik's "F1-11 Love Missile" over the originals and the 12" remixes the bands themselves released.

Check for new replies or respond here...