inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80's female indie guitar bands

Written By: pete on 05/23/05 at 10:17 am

Hi All

I'm trying to remember the name of a couple of female indie guitar bands that were around in the 80's, each had a couple of chart singles.  I can picture the singers in my head and the tunes are on the tip of my tongue, but I can't remember the names!

Can anyone remember any names for any bands that might fit (they were around at the same time & 'rival' to Elastica)

Cheers

Pete

Subject: Re: 80's female indie guitar bands

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 05/30/05 at 5:18 pm

Elastica is from the 90's. You didnt give any details. Name a few songs and I might be able to help you.

Written By: Guest on 05/31/05 at 10:00 am

"Lush"?

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 05/31/05 at 2:18 pm

Could it be Belly? Or maybe Luscious Jackson? I'm having a hard time remembering the girl bands from that era. Hopefully, one of the bands I just mentioned is the correct one.

Written By: redhead007 on 05/31/05 at 2:49 pm

The only one I can think of (before they went mainstream) was The Bangles....

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 05/31/05 at 4:47 pm

Its definitely NOT the Bangles.

Written By: Guest on 05/31/05 at 7:00 pm

Lush was often compared to Elastica.

Written By: mrgazpacho on 06/01/05 at 4:57 am

Veruca Salt comes to mind - were they around in the 80s? How about The Breeders?

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 06/01/05 at 6:47 am

Veruca Salt is from 1994. Maybe The Breeders is what this guy is looking for. Not sure. I've been racking my brain trying to think of some girl bands from late 80's/mid 90's. Not as easy as I thought it would be. There's the Runaways but that's late 70's/early 80's. One thing that makes it even harder to help him is that he's got bands and years confused. Elastica is from 1994-5. NOT the 1980's.

Check for new replies or respond here...