inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: *1 Hit*Wonders (anyone remember Martika?)

Written By: supercute on 05/23/05 at 5:33 pm

Hey guys  ;)

Is it just me or were more 80s 1-hit wonders in the latter part of the 1980s (1987-1989)?

I assume they were scattered about the decade but knowing me...the only one I remember vaguely is Martika, mainly because of her now sampled hit "Toy Soldiers" around '88/'89 which I used to love.

Who were some 1-hit wonders you clearly remember? :)

Subject: Re: *1 Hit*Wonders (anyone remember Martika?)

Written By: eightieschick53 on 05/23/05 at 7:38 pm

Another 1 Hit wonder I remember is Candi, Love Makes No Promises. (Anyone remember her or that song?) I've always wondered what happened to Candi. Did she get married, or have children? Did she continue her music career...hmmm...I guess I can only wonder.

Written By: ktelqueen on 05/23/05 at 7:55 pm

Another 1 Hit wonder I remember is Candi, Love Makes No Promises. (Anyone remember her or that song?) I've always wondered what happened to Candi. Did she get married, or have children? Did she continue her music career...hmmm...I guess I can only wonder.

no updated info but she wasn't actually one-hit..she also had hits with Dancing Under A Latin Moon and Under Your Spell(they were pretty popular songs in Canada  :)

Written By: robby76 on 05/23/05 at 10:07 pm

Martika isn't a one-hit-wonder. She had other big hits like "I feel the earth move" in the late 80's and "Love Thy Will Be Done" in the early 90's. She's just come out with a greatist hits.

Written By: racer on 05/24/05 at 8:18 am

Martika isn't a one-hit-wonder. She had other big hits like "I feel the earth move" in the late 80's and "Love Thy Will Be Done" in the early 90's. She's just come out with a greatist hits.

She had another good song, "More Than You Know". I remember her songs played a lot on the radio when I was a kid. She wrote most of her songs too. I used to have her tape, it was pretty good.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/24/05 at 11:55 am

Martika?? wasn't she on Kids Incorporated when she was younger? 

Erin :)

Written By: racer on 05/24/05 at 3:20 pm

Yeah, she totally was.  :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/24/05 at 5:50 pm

ya..and Fergie from The Black Eyed Peas AKA Stacy Ferguson.......that show was so cheesy...yet great!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/25/05 at 1:09 am

Wasn't Alanis Morisette on that show too?

Written By: holicman on 05/25/05 at 5:13 am

she might have been but she was definitely on that show "you cant do that on Television, and funnily enough so was  Faith no more and Mr.Bungle singer Mike Patton !

The 2 songs i remember from the eighties that were one hit wonders were :

I ran - Flock of seagulls
shiny -Hayzee Fantayzee.

Oh and that god awful "mickey" by Tony Basil................what an annoying song !

Written By: DJ_Roxy on 05/25/05 at 7:08 pm

OMG! Well from what I know of this guy doesn't wear a dress but he's now a corporate big wig in the Music Industry. Stan Meissner's One Chance was huge in 1987! He's a sweetheart of a guy and his site is www.stanmeissner.com

Proud to be Canadian :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/26/05 at 1:05 am

she might have been but she was definitely on that show "you cant do that on Television, and funnily enough so was  Faith no more and Mr.Bungle singer Mike Patton !

The 2 songs i remember from the eighties that were one hit wonders were :

I ran - Flock of seagulls
shiny -Hayzee Fantayzee.

Oh and that god awful "mickey" by Tony Basil................what an annoying song !

I agree with you on that Horrid "Basil" song...don't know about Shiny...but I do know that Flock Of Seagulls also had at least one more hit called "Wishing"  ;)

Written By: Jennifer028 on 05/26/05 at 12:45 pm

How bout "the locomotion" by Kylie Minogue

Written By: SpaceHog on 05/26/05 at 1:20 pm

here are a few:

The superbowl shuffle(chicago bears 1985)
Jane's Getting Serious(Jon Astley 1987)
The Promise (When In Rome 1989)
Dont make me over(Sybil 1989)

Written By: Belle*louise on 06/02/05 at 6:49 am

I am in desperate need of any information (songs, and real band name spelling) of the band my daughter was conceaved too.  I believe the name of the band to be Desire. They had one song in a movie soundtrack but I don't remember which.  The music was kind of oriental and very mellow sounding at times. Does anyone know what I am talking about? :D I've been going crazy with this..PLEASE HELP!!!

Written By: Doc Brown on 06/02/05 at 9:05 pm

How bout "the locomotion" by Kylie Minogue

Sorry Jen, but Kylie had a 2nd hit in the 80's with "I Should Be So Lucky".
And you guys are right, "Mickey" grew old after about 3 plays  :P, and to this day I despise The Weathergirls's "It's Raining Men"  >:(!

As for other OHW's, I really liked these:
Gary Numan, "Cars"
Tommy Tutone, "867-5309"
Moving Pictures, "What About Me?"
Rockwell, "Somebody's Watching Me!"
Dream Academy, "Life In A Northern Town"
Buster Poindexter, "Hot Hot Hot"
Johnny Hates Jazz, "Shattered Dreams"

Any others? Check my 80's OHW Quiz on the PQ board!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: SpaceHog on 07/14/05 at 10:13 am

I am in desperate need of any information (songs, and real band name spelling) of the band my daughter was conceaved too.  I believe the name of the band to be Desire. They had one song in a movie soundtrack but I don't remember which.  The music was kind of oriental and very mellow sounding at times. Does anyone know what I am talking about? :D I've been going crazy with this..PLEASE HELP!!!

A taste of Honey By Sukiyaki?

Written By: Miss Nostalgia on 07/14/05 at 10:40 am

I like this one hit wonder which is

Into the Night-by Benny Mardones.  I love that song!

Written By: Spudboy on 07/14/05 at 5:14 pm

Nina's 99 Luftballoons I thought was a good song, at least the German version. :-\\

Written By: pell on 07/15/05 at 2:01 am

the only one I remember vaguely is Martika, mainly because of her now sampled hit "Toy Soldiers" around '88/'89 which I used to love.

Even though I was in my Hard Rock phase when the song came out, I loved "Toy Soldiers." There was something about her voice in that song: sexy, but also kind of haunting.

Check for new replies or respond here...