inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Dark Crystal, an overlooked jewel!

Written By: J289 on 05/24/05 at 8:11 pm

This is an underappreciated 1982 fantasy adventure from Jim Henson and Frank Oz that i grew up when i was young along with " The Last Unicorn", " The Wizard of Oz", "Secret of NIMH", " Batman", "Ghostbusters" and " Indiana Jones". It's about an alien planet thousands of years ago where a powerful universal source called The Crystal has been cracked as it created two races which is the evil skeckis and the kind wizardary Mystics leaving the Skeckis to rule the land for thousands of years as they draw new life from the sun by using the Crystal as their fath and power to cheat death every once in a while. But now, their will be a great conjunction coming as three suns will soon touch then the Skeckis will take over the universe and be immortal, but there is a prophecy that a gelfling ( Elf-like being) must find the crystal shard that was lost for years to return it back to the castle so that all hope can be restored.

It's a unique and one-of-a-kind movie that still holds up in the days of CGI which is today, it's an accomplishment that would never be made again, for those looking for adventure and fantasy, i recommend this movie!

P.S.: There is a sequel coming out in 2007 with live-action, puppetry and CGI with shooting starting this fall with a release date of january 2007.

Subject: Re: The Dark Crystal, an overlooked jewel!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/24/05 at 9:24 pm

It's a good movie, I have the special edition DVD.

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 05/24/05 at 10:23 pm

I would've been 7 years old when I last saw that movie, but one scene I clearly remember: Some monsters with long necks and turtle-like heads were eating what looked like spinach, in a somewhat disgusting fashion. ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/25/05 at 10:58 am

I LOVE that movie. I have it on video.

Cat

Written By: DJ_Roxy on 05/25/05 at 6:59 pm

On DVD? Are you kidding! Wicky kewl ^_^ Thanks for the info. Hopefully it's available it Canada.

"Of course I have wings. I'm a girl!"  ;D

Written By: Rain on Marz on 07/31/05 at 8:49 am

I love this movie, and now my children do as well!!! I always wanted to be Kira, actually I don't know how old I was when I first watched it,but when I reached grade one, in 89' I ended up watching it in school and remembering it, than watching it like a million times since then. I still love how Kira talks to the landstriders and all the animals, and wish I could dreamfast with people, it would take out the awkwardness of meeting new people. I guess.lol

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/31/05 at 11:46 am

On DVD? Are you kidding! Wicky kewl ^_^ Thanks for the info. Hopefully it's available it Canada.

"Of course I have wings. I'm a girl!"  ;D

It is both in regular and in collector's edition.

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/01/05 at 10:40 am

Yep looooooved it. I have both regular & collectors eddition & the original 80s exrental VHS. I remember being pretty young when it first came on TV & i was very ill & had a a bad fever at the time & i think i even barfed a few times during the movie. Halfway through the movie my dad had to drive me to the hospital. For some reason i still have very fond memories of that day though. :)

Written By: Sakura on 08/10/05 at 11:40 am

I remember that movie. It scared the crap out of me the first time I was it. I have it now for my son and he loves it. I remember the Labrynth to, The beginning when the goblins took the baby away scared the crap out of me too.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/12/05 at 3:51 pm

I didn't overlook it. The puppets creeped me out a bit, I must admit

Written By: Satish on 08/12/05 at 6:09 pm

Yeah, I remember that movie. I saw it when it came on tv when I was about 6-8 years old. I totally loved it!

I was mesmerised by the mystical, enchanted feel of the film.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/12/05 at 10:31 pm

I didn't overlook it. The puppets creeped me out a bit, I must admit

The Skeksis were really creeeeeeeeepy looking....  ::)

http://aram.free.fr/fantasy/images/d_skeksis.jpg

Written By: TC1970 on 08/13/05 at 5:32 am

I enjoyed the movie. Rented it recently for my nephew. He liked it too. :)

Written By: Rorusaur on 08/24/05 at 1:59 am

It's definately one of a kind, and it's also terrifying! Whoever thought the Skeksis would make good characters for a childrens' movie? They're some of the most freaky looking creatures I've ever seen in a movie.

The sequel sounds like a bad idea without Henson and apparently without puppets. Why not create something original instead of tredding on an old movie that was never meant to have a sequel?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/24/05 at 7:15 pm

Aughra was kind of creepy too....

http://lavender.fortunecity.com/tomatoes/168/darkcrys/gallery/photos/Aughra.jpg

Written By: electric80lady on 09/12/05 at 7:06 am

I have "The Dark Crystal" on DVD.  I love that movie !

Check for new replies or respond here...