inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tom Petty video question?

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/30/05 at 8:18 am

Anyone who knows me knows I've had a lifetime semi-fear of his "Don't Come around Here" video (LOL), but this question is about another one of his:

For "You Got Lucky", the theme seems to be, the guys arrive at this shack where they "uncover" a bunch of relics circa 1982 (i.e. a portable tape deck, video games) and start rocking out inside.

What I don't get is, was this supposed to have been set way in the future, and that stuff had been preserved the whole time? Heck, that car from the beginning even looked like a DeLorean - that might've been what got me to think that. ;D

PS: We can still talk about the Alice in Wonderland video here! I don't mind talking about it, I just don't wanna watch it, LOL! ;)

Subject: Re: Tom Petty video question?

Written By: woops on 05/30/05 at 6:15 pm

"Don't Come Around Here No More" is one of my favorite Tom Petty videos  :)

"You Got Lucky"... I think it's based off the Mad Max films, though the car might've inspired  the time machine in "Back to the Future".

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/30/05 at 6:35 pm

Yep, based on the Mad Max/Road Warrior movies :)

Written By: Rob on 05/31/05 at 12:27 pm

Yeah, the post-apocalyptic theme ran rampant in the eighties.

Remember these?:

Duran Duran's Wild Boys
Rick Springfield's Bop Til You Drop
The Police's Synchronicity II

Everyone loved the Mad Max franchise.  :)

Written By: iluvthe80s on 06/01/05 at 7:27 am

Don't forget about Tina Turner's 'We Don't Need Another Hero' - of course that was from the movie Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, in which she played Auntie Entity (anyway, I think that's what her character's name was)  :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/01/05 at 9:59 am

Don't forget about Tina Turner's 'We Don't Need Another Hero' - of course that was from the movie Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, in which she played Auntie Entity (anyway, I think that's what her character's name was) :)

I love that song too, but haven't seen the video in YEARS.

Oh, "Adult Education" from Hall & Oates was post-apocalyptic too, wasn't it? I've only seen clips, and it looks to be in this dark cavern-type place in a futuristic New York City.

As for Tom though, for the record I'm fine with the "Don't Come" video -- as long as I know it's gonna be on. I just stopped watching VH1 in the early 90's 'cause I was afraid it would "surprise" me. :D

Seriously however, I would LOVE to see a "behind the scenes/making of" that video, if it exists.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/01/05 at 12:26 pm

This is my favorite video by the group... with "Don't Come Around Here" a close second.

The car doesn't really resemble a DeLorean, except maybe for the gullwing doors, which predate the DeLorean by at least 20 years (Mercedes had them in the 60s).

Definitely Mad Max inspired.  Of all the other post apoclyptic movies around at the time, it's the one it's clearly channeling the most.

"Don't Come Around Here" is pretty creepy... but not the most disturbing video.  I reserve that honor for Nine Inch Nails "Happiness in Slavery".  I can't even stand to watch it when I fast forward over it.  >shivers< just thinking of it makes me sick.  Glad they don't play it on the video channels.

Check for new replies or respond here...