inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ten years of the 80s!

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/01/05 at 12:20 pm

June marks ten years of the 80s site.  I put up a thank you message on the front page of the site, and a link to the quizzes I created as a little thank you for all the people who have helped make the site what it is.

The quizzes are here: http://www.inthe80s.com/quiz/  They are quite tough (unless you cheat, then they're easy).

It hasn't always been easy to keep the sites up and running, but I'm still glad I do it!

Subject: Re: Ten years of the 80s!

Written By: bj26 on 06/01/05 at 1:46 pm

T h a n k s      :D

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 06/01/05 at 2:01 pm

Congratulations!  And a great job!

Looking back, it really illustrates how different the grungy alternative music obsessed, retro 70ish pop culture became by the mid 1990s.  I mean so many of us were clearly dissapointed with the pop culture by 1995, if we missed the 80s so much after a mere 6 years.  It was only 6 years removed at the time.  It would be like these kids today just aching for the 90s now in '05.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/01/05 at 2:37 pm

Congratulations!  And a great job!

Looking back, it really illustrates how different the grungy alternative music obsessed, retro 70ish pop culture became by the mid 1990s.  I mean so many of us were clearly dissapointed with the pop culture by 1995, if we missed the 80s so much after a mere 6 years.  It was only 6 years removed at the time.  It would be like these kids today just aching for the 90s now in '05.

I can beat that... I was fed up with pop music before 1990 really.  Had the web been around in '89 I'd have probably started a New Wave tribute or something.  Doing the lyrics quizzes, I can safely say by 1988, I disliked a good swath of what was popular.  Generally the years you're in high school, are the years when you must identify with music.  For me, I couldn't stand most of what Mtv was playing by then, and my peers listened to junk, either metal or rap. 

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/01/05 at 8:57 pm

Congrads....  :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/03/05 at 4:02 pm

No one was playing the quizzes, and then I noticed I forgot to put the link on the front page.  Pretty silly of me.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 06/03/05 at 8:04 pm

I can beat that... I was fed up with pop music before 1990 really.  Had the web been around in '89 I'd have probably started a New Wave tribute or something.  Doing the lyrics quizzes, I can safely say by 1988, I disliked a good swath of what was popular.  Generally the years you're in high school, are the years when you must identify with music.  For me, I couldn't stand most of what Mtv was playing by then, and my peers listened to
junk, either metal or rap. 

You know what, I've had this theory floating around in my head for many years now that it's not the high school era that is the time that you most identify with music.  But more likely it is the middle school/Jr. high years, mabey a bit of early high school thrown in there.  I feel this is where we are imprinted the most by pop culture.  That time from roughly 6th grade to 9th grade is probably it.  If I remember, you graduated high school in 1991 right?  So that time for you was about 1984 to 1987.  For me it was 1986 to 1989, and it explains why quite a few people my age...despite graduating high school in 1993 in the heart of grunge, simply never took a great liking to it.  Despite being still kids, we were already imprinted by our middle school years in the late 80s.  Ofcourse this isn't true for everyone, I did know a few people around our age that just loved the 90s grunge style and wanted good riddance of the 80s.  But for us it was such a drastic change in pop culture style, it's not like the relatively similar 90s and 00s. 

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/04/05 at 5:35 pm

You know what, I've had this theory floating around in my head for many years now that it's not the high school era that is the time that you most identify with music.  But more likely it is the middle school/Jr. high years, mabey a bit of early high school thrown in there.  I feel this is where we are imprinted the most by pop culture.  That time from roughly 6th grade to 9th grade is probably it.  If I remember, you graduated high school in 1991 right?  So that time for you was about 1984 to 1987.  For me it was 1986 to 1989, and it explains why quite a few people my age...despite graduating high school in 1993 in the heart of grunge, simply never took a great liking to it.  Despite being still kids, we were already imprinted by our middle school years in the late 80s.  Ofcourse this isn't true for everyone, I did know a few people around our age that just loved the 90s grunge style and wanted good riddance of the 80s.  But for us it was such a drastic change in pop culture style, it's not like the relatively similar 90s and 00s. 

I did graduate in 91, but the years I like most are 81-85... which is even before middle school years (I actually went to a Jr high, so grades 7 and 8). 

I'll admit to being happy that grunge cleared away the glam metal that was popular at the time.  I thought that stuff had long over stayed it's welcome.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/10/05 at 12:32 am

Congradulations, Chucky! :)

I did graduate in 91, but the years I like most are 81-85... which is even before middle school years (I actually went to a Jr high, so grades 7 and 8).

I'll admit to being happy that grunge cleared away the glam metal that was popular at the time. I thought that stuff had long over stayed it's welcome.

Interesting discussion here.

I graduated in 2000, and my favorite years are like 1979-87, but I wasn't "typical". :)

Chris makes a good point though, the "Grade 6 to 9" years for me were about 1994-97. Even though I was into some of the current pop culture - more TV shows and the like - I was still mostly listening to 80's music. But some of it I'd never bought before (some I still hadn't yet heard!), so even if it was already past a decade old, it was "new" to me.

When I hear Bryan Adams, Loverboy, Rod Stewart and ZZ Top for instance, it reminds me alot more of 1995 than 1985. :D

PS: I like the early 80's more than the latter half myself as well, Chuck!

Some hair metal was good -- mostly Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, and the more "original" bands -- but I agree it got formulatic around 1989, so I can see why the industry was looking for the next big thing to push it off. I was never too big on grunge -- it was always just "okay" to me.

Written By: annamommynous on 06/10/05 at 5:09 pm

I think Chris is a genius! I agreed completely with the theory that by 9th grade you are imprinted by culture already.

I love the early 80's. And the later 80's. My HS used to have the best DJ for sockhops - he played a lot of pop but also some really great dance music that I don't know the names of which is now totally lost to me.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/10/05 at 6:53 pm

While we're on the subject, thinking about it again, Chris' theory rings true even more so for TV shows.

For instance, I watched Full House, Mad About You, Home Improvement & Seinfeld ALOT in the mid 90's (late Elementary/Jr. High). Same with Unsolved Mysteries, VH1 and other stuff.

Favorites in general time-wise would be something like this:

TV years - 1993-98
Music years - 1979-87
Movies - 1982-96 (much wider since "trends" are slightly less prevalent in films)
Video games - 1987-93 (I love my old NES!)

I like quite a bit outside those eras too, but that's basically the years that "set" my tastes - sometimes it was "current" sometimes not. Like, even if I was listening to alot of 80's music in 1995, it still more reminds me of when I got into it more than when it was released. ;)

Written By: pell on 06/12/05 at 3:45 am

Man, that is so true for me too. Junior High in the mid-80s is definitely a highlight of my memories of the decade, although late 70s and early 80s childhood is a close second. I hardly ever think about high school (or want to). :)

By the way, nice pun for the thread title and thanks to ChuckyG for a very enjoyable site. I do miss the old board threads, though, from a couple years ago when I was a little more active here.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/13/05 at 10:47 am

These are my results:

47% for 1980 and 1981
53% for 1982 and 1986
67% for 1983 and 1984
73% for 1985 and 1988
80% for 1987 and 1989

I guess the closer I directly remember the songs the better I got in the quizzes. Great quizzes, though!
Tanya

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/13/05 at 2:53 pm

These are my results:

47% for 1980 and 1981
53% for 1982 and 1986
67% for 1983 and 1984
73% for 1985 and 1988
80% for 1987 and 1989

I guess the closer I directly remember the songs the better I got in the quizzes. Great quizzes, though!
Tanya

Those are pretty good results.  So far there is only one or two 100% scores for 1983,1984 and 1985.  Most people are scoring less than 50% on these.  Too tough I guess.  I've begun work on a super easy set, so people don't get too discouraged.  All lyrics from the refrains of songs, just complete the lyric.

Written By: Climber on 06/14/05 at 2:18 am

Those are pretty good results.  So far there is only one or two 100% scores for 1983,1984 and 1985.  Most people are scoring less than 50% on these.  Too tough I guess.  I've begun work on a super easy set, so people don't get too discouraged.  All lyrics from the refrains of songs, just complete the lyric.

Here's my results:

40% - 1987, 1989
47% - 1981, 1982, 1986
53% - 1984
67% - 1988
73% - 1983
80% - 1980, 1985

I knew most of the songs, but it's been a long time since I've heard a lot of them.  I also probably had the "mis-heard lyrics" syndrome on some of them.  ;)

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/14/05 at 9:08 am

Here's the first of the easier set... 1980

http://inthe80s.com/quiz/1980alyricsquiz.shtml

All lyrics from the refrains of songs.  All songs that peaked between 5 and 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 charts.

If people find these easier, I'll do the other decades as well.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/14/05 at 1:14 pm

I had to sing some of them to remember the lyrics, actually! I think I also suffered from "misheard" lyrics myself.

Tanya

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/14/05 at 1:19 pm

All lyrics from the refrains of songs.  All songs that peaked between 5 and 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 charts.

This was easier. I got a 73% this time.

Tanya

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/14/05 at 4:06 pm

All lyrics from the refrains of songs. All songs that peaked between 5 and 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 charts.

Cool quiz, Chucky! :) I like alot of music from 1980, even though some of it was also a bit on the "stale" side. Bob Seger's "Against the Wind" and The Police's "De Do Do Do Do" are proably my favorites.

A few I guessed on, but I got 13 out of 15 (87%). Ironically, the only ones I missed were Kool & the Gang and The Eagles - both bands I like, but I'm less familiar with those two songs.

Written By: Climber on 06/16/05 at 12:00 am

This was easier. I got a 73% this time.

Tanya

73% for also, and I didn't even know all the songs!  :D

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/17/05 at 9:31 am

73% for also, and I didn't even know all the songs!  :D

yeah, multiple choice does make it easier to guess.

here's the next one

http://inthe80s.com/quiz/1981alyricsquiz.shtml

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/17/05 at 3:34 pm

here's the next one

Cool, I enjoyed this one too ('81 was a great year - probably the halfway point of 70's influence with the emerging 80's styles).

I got 11 out of 15 - 73%.

I only knew 8 or 9 for sure and happened to guess the others. Journey, Rod Stewart, ELO and the Commodores had the best songs on the list, IMO.

Some of the "alternate" lyrics were funny too! ;)

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/17/05 at 4:06 pm

Cool, I enjoyed this one too ('81 was a great year - probably the halfway point of 70's influence with the emerging 80's styles).

I got 11 out of 15 - 73%.

I only knew 8 or 9 for sure and happened to guess the others. Journey, Rod Stewart, ELO and the Commodores had the best songs on the list, IMO.

Some of the "alternate" lyrics were funny too! ;)

I try and have a little fun with the "wrong" answers when I can.

Written By: Climber on 06/21/05 at 11:06 pm

yeah, multiple choice does make it easier to guess.

here's the next one

I go 14/15 or 93%!  Pretty good if I do say so myself!  :D  Unfortunately, the 1 I got wrong was # 1...Journey... :-[

Check for new replies or respond here...