inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Man...werent the 80's a pivotal time in Time itself

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 06/01/05 at 8:55 pm

Its where everything began...like a new time period starting again....AIDS, Watergate, Atari, Drugs, Teenagers w/ Movies, Malls, Clothes, Preps(i hate them...excpet Zack Morris!!), Hair, Indivduality, anyhting u wore looked cool...the crazy it looked...the better...the classy u looked..more ladies/men u got...man...i dunno bout everyone...but i think its time for a modifed comeback...i got my hair, i have clothes, i have converse...and the music and movies all r i own..littlerally that all i have old music and movies are  mostly 80's...like aobut 75%...i would say...or call it if 2010 was here...80gnostic...all info based on 1980-1989...in the modern present...although it cant be 100%....it can be 99.9&

Subject: Re: Man...werent the 80's a pivotal time in Time itself

Written By: bj26 on 06/02/05 at 3:36 pm

I don't know how old you were in the 80s, but I was just starting out in life then in early 20s and lived in a number of states with home in Seattle.  I can tell you people were about the same then as now, no real radical changes anwhere. In fact, it was difficult to hear modern rock on the commercial stations until about 1984.  Maybe in LA and NYC or London there was more of the music, but not in Seattle, Portland, San Fran or a bunch of other places I worked in. 

I heard many of the imports, some punk and New Wave on an obscure AM station in Seattle. Otherwise, it was mostly available on some college stations which barely had enough wattage in the 80s to broadcast very far.  The punk and New Wave were tiny subcultures back then, there weren't bunches of kids into punk or new wave at all as people were only slowly exposed to it back then. 

You see much more of New Wave style and hear more of the early 80s music now then even back at that time.  Many people are into the 80s theme and music now, but back then I hardly saw it at all and I was a high school youth group leader.  The kids were pretty much the same then as now, into about anything they like, and New Wave and punk ain't necessarily it.  A lot of kids call themselves punk now and some really are, but mostly it's just a fun retro thing a lot of us are into basically because everything is more readily available now, i.e. music, styles, videos, media, etc. than in the 80s.

Written By: wsmith4 on 06/03/05 at 10:42 am

man what a stupid thread  ::)  i mean, i can't even begin to understand the last couple sentences.  hair started in the 80's?????  get a grip!!

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 06/03/05 at 1:13 pm

man what a stupid thread  ::)  i mean, i can't even begin to understand the last couple sentences.  hair started in the 80's?????  get a grip!!

get a life :D

Written By: bj26 on 06/03/05 at 2:02 pm

I was thinking about the 80s and yes it was a time of radical musical change, but you had to hunt for it to hear it!  Most commercial stations played stuff like Michael Jackson, Kool and the Gang, etc. absolutely none of the New Wave or Punk for quite a while. Finally stations started airing the most pop type music, like some of the Police songs, Cars, Culture Club, maybe the Bangles but none of the more obscure groups.  The 80s effect us more now because the music and styles are so good and interesting.  Heck, back then, everything was on casettes or albums, no such thing as digital. Hardly anyone had a PC, it was almost unheard of to have your own computer until well into the 80s.  You could pay $1200 easy for a mini stereo system, $3,000 for an IBM PC and dot matrix printer that was so slow it is unbelievable and $3,000+ for a cam-corder.  There were video game parlors, but before that only games like Pong, then came PacMan, people used to call "eatamonster." It was like the olden days, lmao ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 06/03/05 at 7:18 pm

Its where everything began...like a new time period starting again....AIDS, Watergate, Atari, Drugs, Teenagers w/ Movies, Malls, Clothes, Preps(i hate them...excpet Zack Morris!!), Hair, Indivduality, anyhting u wore looked cool...the crazy it looked...the better...the classy u looked..more ladies/men u got...man...i dunno bout everyone...but i think its time for a modifed comeback...i got my hair, i have clothes, i have converse...and the music and movies all r i own..littlerally that all i have old music and movies are mostly 80's...like aobut 75%...i would say...or call it if 2010 was here...80gnostic...all info based on 1980-1989...in the modern present...although it cant be 100%....it can be 99.9&

Good thread idea, but Watergate wasn't in the 80's.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/04/05 at 1:03 pm

I can tell you people were about the same then as now, no real radical changes anwhere. In fact, it was difficult to hear modern rock on the commercial stations until about 1984.  Maybe in LA and NYC or London there was more of the music, but not in Seattle, Portland, San Fran or a bunch of other places I worked in.

You see much more of New Wave style and hear more of the early 80s music now then even back at that time.  Many people are into the 80s theme and music now, but back then I hardly saw it at all and I was a high school youth group leader.  The kids were pretty much the same then as now, into about anything they like, and New Wave and punk ain't necessarily it.  A lot of kids call themselves punk now and some really are, but mostly it's just a fun retro thing a lot of us are into basically because everything is more readily available now, i.e. music, styles, videos, media, etc. than in the 80s.

Interesting, I didn't know that (and believe me, that's a compliment -- I sometimes worry I've run out of stuff to learn about the 80's, LOL). ;)

I only heard Top 40 radio for the most part in the 80's, but it seemed pretty varied, playing everything from the Police to Christopher Cross to Lionel Richie to Van Halen. But was new wave seen as more "edgy" in, say 1983, thus alienating major stations from playing it?

Written By: bj26 on 06/06/05 at 7:34 am

Interesting, I didn't know that (and believe me, that's a compliment -- I sometimes worry I've run out of stuff to learn about the 80's, LOL). ;)

I only heard Top 40 radio for the most part in the 80's, but it seemed pretty varied, playing everything from the Police to Christopher Cross to Lionel Richie to Van Halen. But was new wave seen as more "edgy" in, say 1983, thus alienating major stations from playing it?

I think the powers that be, felt punk was a fad and a dirity violent on at that.  The commercial powers refused to air it thinking their top 40 would just continue for all time. They were very wrong and finally began to cash in on the old punk style coining it new wave and attempting to commercialize upon it in the mid 80s. when the state of the art (alternative) music gained more and more popularity, it exploded on the scene and its impact is felt to this day.  It was such a welcome change for me as I was bored with the commercial music and continuously sought something new.  The first time I sensed a change in music was with Pat Benatar, Elvis Costello, Toni Basil, Sex Pistols back in 1978 (not that all of it was that great, but I knew something was different about it), the Tubes in about '81 and I knew there was music out there just beyond my reach, just couldn't find it. Never knew of the Ramones, since stations refused to acknowledged them (at least the ones I could pick up).  Then I found KJET in Seattle in '82 that played strictly modern rock, all the new music, zero top 40 it was great :)

Check for new replies or respond here...