inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Madonna 80's Song Poll

Written By: 90s boy on 06/04/05 at 9:29 am

pick your fav

Subject: Re: Madonna 80's Song Poll

Written By: Dagwood on 06/04/05 at 9:32 am

I like the earlier stuff more:  Holiday, Borderline, Lucky Star, Crazy for You and Cherish were my picks.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/04/05 at 12:35 pm

I like the earlier stuff more: Holiday, Borderline, Lucky Star, Crazy for You and Cherish were my picks.

Same here. :)

I think her first 2 albums had that "cutesy, fun pop" sound to them.

Plus, I hold some sentimental value to the hits off there, since those were some of the first songs (of many!) I heard. I was 2 years old in '84 and coincidentally that's about when music absolutely peaked, IMO.

If I had to pick ONE favorite, I'd go with "Borderline" - a little change of pace for the debut. Still an upbeat dance track, but with a mid-tempo pop groove - probably the closest to a ballad on there.

The gears shifted a little for 'True Blue' but I'd consider that to be her last "80's pop" album.

EDIT: My Top 5 (it's hard to pick, though!) were - Borderline, Burning Up (love the rockier sound), Like a Virgin, Into the Groove, and Live to Tell.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/04/05 at 3:00 pm

Lucky Star and Holiday.

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 06/04/05 at 3:17 pm

You have got to be kidding right? Just 5.

Holiday
Burning up
Borderline
Lucky Star
Like A Virgin
Crazy For You
Material Girl
Angel
Dress You Up
Get Into The Grove
Live To Tell
Papa Dont Preach
True Blue
Open Your Heart
La Isla Bonita
Who's That Girl
Like A Prayer
Express Yourself
Cherish

Written By: Zebra on 06/04/05 at 4:37 pm

Into the groove
Holiday
Like a virgin
Like a prayer

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/05/05 at 8:41 am

I love Madonna and all her 80s hits! But, since I only could vote for 5, here's my picks:

La Isla Bonita
Who's That Girl
Dear Jessie
Oh Father
Borderline

Tanya

Written By: Starr on 06/05/05 at 12:30 pm

Crazy For You
Angel
Get Into The Groove
Live To Tell
Cherish

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/05/05 at 2:00 pm

La Isla Bonita
Like a Prayer
Get Into the Grove
Material Girl
Live to Tell

In that order.

Cat

Written By: Jennifer028 on 06/05/05 at 2:06 pm

Papa Dont Preach
True Blue
Open Your Heart
Dress you up
Like a prayer

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/05/05 at 11:21 pm

Like a Prayer
La Isla Bonita

Erin :)

Written By: Kayla on 06/06/05 at 3:51 am

The '80s Rock!

Like a Virgin
Get Into The Groove
Open Your Heart
Papa Dont Preach
Cherish

In that order

Written By: dukefan on 06/06/05 at 5:31 am

1.) Like a Prayer (Original LAP Album version - I hate the dance remixes)

2.) Live to Tell

3.) La Isla Bonita

4.) Express Yourself (LAP Album version)

5.) Into the Groove

Who's That Girl has a nice sound as well.       

Of course, I like most of Madonna's pre-1990s stuff, but those are my favorites.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/06/05 at 5:39 am

Hey, now that you guys mentioned different versions of songs, I thought I'd say I mainly agree that the album versions are better. That was one thing I didn't like about the 'Immaculate Collection' was it remixed/edited many of the songs. :(

However the one exception is "Borderline". The version on there is the one the radio usually plays (I think it was the video mix too), so I actually prefer it.

Other than being a little shorter (not much, just minus a couple verses), I thought it was more "poppish", whereas the version on her self-titled album was -- the best I can describe it -- kinda "electronic sounding". It's not a huge change, I bet some people wouldn't even notice, but if you listen closely you can differentiate the two. ;)

Written By: ktelqueen on 06/06/05 at 5:51 am

Madonna polls are always difficult for me since i'm a big fan of her early stuff and find it hard to narrow it down..in any case..

Holiday
Borderline
Into The Groove
Lucky Star
Express Yourself

...followed by Dress You Up,Papa Don't Preach,Crazy For You,Love Don't Live Here Anymore... :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/06/05 at 12:59 pm

Hey, now that you guys mentioned different versions of songs, I thought I'd say I mainly agree that the album versions are better. That was one thing I didn't like about the 'Immaculate Collection' was it remixed/edited many of the songs. :(

I like the "Immaculate Collection" because of that. I really hate the remix of Get Into the Groove. I am very glad that the album DOESN'T have that on it.

Cat

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/07/05 at 8:08 am

I like the "Immaculate Collection" because of that. I really hate the remix of Get Into the Groove. I am very glad that the album DOESN'T have that on it.

Cat

Cool, I didn't even know "Groove" was a remix - you learn something new all the time. :)

On many of the songs, it's barely even noticeable, so I don't mind. I think only "Like a Virgin", Material Girl, Live to Tell and Papa Don't Preach were majorly different.

Actually, I might also prefer IC's versions of "Holiday" "Lucky Star" and "Crazy for You".

Written By: dukefan on 06/08/05 at 6:31 am

Cool, I didn't even know "Groove" was a remix - you learn something new all the time. :)
On many of the songs, it's barely even noticeable, so I don't mind. I think only "Like a Virgin", Material Girl, Live to Tell and Papa Don't Preach were majorly different.

Well, there is the previously mentioned remixes of Like a Prayer and Express Yourself I despise.  The Shep Pettibone/Immaculate Collection mix of Like a Prayer turns the song into a rather typical light-hearted dance tune, while the original '89 album version sounds funky and powerful. 

The Express Yourself remix just sounds silly.  It kind of has a quirky techno feel to it.

I think there was also some sort of change made to Vogue, though I can't point it out precisely.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/09/05 at 7:39 am

Other:

Vogue

Check for new replies or respond here...