inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most interesting thing about the 80's

Written By: wsmith4 on 06/06/05 at 8:41 am

What to you is the most interesting thing about the 80's?  What keeps you stuck in a world from 20 years ago?  Why are you on this message board?  For me, it's the wonderful childhood I had.  There are so many little things that I remind me of something from back then... and I am constantly thinking about it.  I wanna be a kid in the 80's again!

Subject: Re: Most interesting thing about the 80's

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/06/05 at 9:03 am

Well, I agree with much of this. :)

I think no matter what year we're in, or what age I get, I'll always find something to like about the "modern" era, but nothing at all compares to the world I was "introduced" to.

I was 0-7 in the 80's, so it really brings back memories of my childhood. Truth is though, that's just an added sentimentality - I like much of the things from the time anyway. In short, I don't think any other era was as flat out "fun" as the 80's were.

In many ways, I do consider it the precursor to the "main" world we're in today. People started to have PC's - video games, MTV and the like were born, etc.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/06/05 at 10:34 am

Big shoulder pads on clothing....  ::)

Written By: BCRichrocker on 06/06/05 at 11:07 am

Music (made you feel uplifted most of the time even if the lyrics were cheesy), looks (more glamorous and "bright"), etc. It was a fun time. I actually may have enjoyed the '90s or the '00s if something new would've come along and not just the recycled garbage we have nowadays. :(

Written By: Zebra on 06/06/05 at 2:54 pm

I think it's a general feeling. To be a kid of the 80s. I mean not born in the 80s. Just the childhood in the 80s. I had my best time in that decade. I was between 9 and 19 Years old.
There was an Austrian Forum some years ago, called "Wicky, Slime and Piper". From this forum a couple of books (think 3) were written. They told about series and products of the 80s. At the end of the book is a attempt to explain why the 80s are so entirely. It's because we had not so much choices as the kids today. We got only a few bikes (everyone had a Bonanza-Bike), we only had a few TV-Series (everybody know the Muppets-Show), etc. and this is the reason why we sit in 40 years together on a bench and start giggling when we think about the few things we had in this time. And we belong together, because we all had the SAME things. Kids today are flood with too many things.

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 06/06/05 at 3:50 pm

What to you is the most interesting thing about the 80's?  What keeps you stuck in a world from 20 years ago?  Why are you on this message board?  For me, it's the wonderful childhood I had.  There are so many little things that I remind me of something from back then... and I am constantly thinking about it.  I wanna be a kid in the 80's again!

Me too! My father was so fantically religious, that he almost wouldn't allow me to be a kid. He made me scared of just about everything, when all I wanted was to have fun! Now, when I get dressed up to go to an 80s gig, in my ripped jeans, studded belts, bangles and fluro, I feel that I am reclaiming what was taken away from me. The feeling is indescribable.
I wouldn't so much like to be a kid again. I like my independence too much. Age brings something other than wrinkles, a little thing called wisdom, which I am ever-so-slowly aquiring. ;)  But would I like to once again turn on the radio and know that the next song could be Culture Club or the Uncanny X-Men? YES! Would I like to be looking forward to watching Countdown every Sunday night? OH, YEAH! Would I like to be enjoying my brand new Eurythmics/Chris de Burg/Queen/Kate Bush album without the fear that I'm gonna go to hell, because a certain song mentions sex or a god other than the one that my parents believe in? YOU BET YOUR SWEET SEXY A** I WOULD!
But enough about my childhood. I find alot of today's music to be trashy and depressingly bad, so in the immortal words of Bob Seger,

Just get those old records off the shelf,
I'll sit and listen to them by myself!
Today's music aint got the same soul!
I like that old-time rock'n'roll!

Written By: BCRichrocker on 06/06/05 at 7:16 pm

I think it's a general feeling. To be a kid of the 80s. I mean not born in the 80s. Just the childhood in the 80s. I had my best time in that decade. I was between 9 and 19 Years old.
There was an Austrian Forum some years ago, called "Wicky, Slime and Piper". From this forum a couple of books (think 3) were written. They told about series and products of the 80s. At the end of the book is a attempt to explain why the 80s are so entirely. It's because we had not so much choices as the kids today. We got only a few bikes (everyone had a Bonanza-Bike), we only had a few TV-Series (everybody know the Muppets-Show), etc. and this is the reason why we sit in 40 years together on a bench and start giggling when we think about the few things we had in this time. And we belong together, because we all had the SAME things. Kids today are flood with too many things.

Wow, I agree with the first part of your post. While I may have spent my early childhood (0-9) in the '70s, I am most definitely not a child of the '70s. I was a teenager in the '80s and that's where my identity and my fondest memories are.

I disagree with your last part though. The best part of the '80s was the numerous amount of choices we had. Just take a look at the "modern" teenager with baggy pants and a T-shirt that everyone sports and the teenagers of the '80s that had a selection of identifying with New Wave, Metal, Punk, Ska, Mod, Goth, etc. I feel sorry for the limited amount of choices kids have in this day.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/06/05 at 7:47 pm

Wow, I agree with the first part of your post. While I may have spent my early childhood (0-9) in the '70s, I am most definitely not a child of the '70s. I was a teenager in the '80s and that's where my identity and my fondest memories are.

That just makes me smile when comparing it with myself. I'm guessing you were born in 1970 or '71? You probably have some pop culture memories from the end of the 70's, but it would stand to reason that the 80's were "your" decade.

But I look at me (born in late '81) and, even by like 1994/95 I was missing my childhood stuff from the 80's. Not that I DISLIKED 90's culture (I didn't start to feel that way till maybe 1997, when I was in high school), but that would be equivalent to your 12 year old self around '84 saying, "I'm not into this MTV stuff, I miss the good old days of Disco." ;D ;D

As I've said before, from what I know, the 70's seemed to go into the 80's smoother than the 80's into the 90's. Maybe that's why it seemed more "jarring" to me - so much so that, even as a 12-13 year old kid, I got a bit nostalgic for songs or video games that came out when I was 6. ;)

I disagree with your last part though. The best part of the '80s was the numerous amount of choices we had. Just take a look at the "modern" teenager with baggy pants and a T-shirt that everyone sports and the teenagers of the '80s that had a selection of identifying with New Wave, Metal, Punk, Ska, Mod, Goth, etc. I feel sorry for the limited amount of choices kids have in this day.

True, I never thought of that - it does seem like there was more of an "across the board" fashion appeal back then. The 2000's really isn't as "obsessed" with it - that's probably why clothing styles haven't drastically changed since '99 or so.

Written By: Zebra on 06/07/05 at 2:58 pm

Yes i know what you mean. mhmmm. I have problems to express my thoughts in this language. ;) You're right. In some things the 80s had more choices than today. But really? Let us think... i know "Hip-Hops"  today. They seperate themselves into gangstas, white-rap, R'n'Bs, of course lokal Rappers (german/french/italian). I know technos. Seperated in House, Trance, Gabba, Hardcore, Mellow... So i think when i'm going on with all styles, there are more choices than ever.
For me all Kids look at the same. But do they think so? They will kill us if the want to look like Britney and we say the all look like Christina ;)
What i meant with my words was, that a child (or teenager) in the 80s had not so much choices to buy something. There was not the marketing of today. I don't know if this was the situation in the US too. We had not so much possibilities than today.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/07/05 at 3:18 pm

^ Don't worry Zebra, I understand what you meant and pretty much agree with you.

As for the decade thing, I'd say to be a "child" of a decade means spending most of your early life in that decade. So, a prime 80's child would be born maybe like 1975-83.

To me, the age classifications are something like:

0-1 - Infant
2-11 - Child
12-20 - Adolescent
21-39 - Young Adult
40-64 - Middle Aged
65-80 - Senior Citizen
80+ - "Old", LOL!

Written By: Zebra on 06/07/05 at 3:24 pm

As for the decade thing, I'd say to be a "child" of a decade means spending most of your early life in that decade. So, a prime 80's child would be born maybe like 1975-83.

To me, the age classifications are something like:

0-1 - Infant
2-11 - Child
12-20 - Adolescent
21-39 - Young Adult
40-64 - Middle Aged
65-80 - Senior Citizen
80+ - "Old", LOL!

Ok. So I am a teenager of the 80s, ok!? :)

Written By: Hipster on 06/08/05 at 12:41 am

I sometimes think the establishment of the 90's were jealous of 80's popularity. I also think the same people tried so hard to establish the 90's in their vision that they ruined it. What made the 80's was the lack of rules in things like fashion, music, etc.

Check for new replies or respond here...