inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Secret of NIMH and other underated animated 80's films.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/06/05 at 11:04 am

Has anyone here heard of or seen The Secret of NIMH?  It is one of my favorite animated films from the 80's, it doesn't get mentioned alot since isn't a Disney animated movie, interestingly enough, some of the animators of the film, director included used to work for Disney, they tried to pitch it to them, but Disney turned them down, since it was considered too dark and not G rated enough for Disney.

Years later, Disney tried their hand a making a PG animated film, The Black Cauldron, another one of my favorite animated films.

Other underated animated 80's films I like are An American Tail and The Land Before Time.

Subject: Re: Secret of NIMH and other underated animated 80's films.

Written By: SpaceHog on 06/06/05 at 12:55 pm

they have made too many Land Before Time's......

Coming soon to a theater near you: Land Before Time 1000!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/06/05 at 12:55 pm

The Secret of NIHM, American Tail, and the Land Before Time were all Don Bluth films. (I have all three on video) Yes, he did use to work for Disney and then set out on his own. He also did All Dogs Go to Heaven (another one that I have-which I cry everytime I watch it). The only sequals to these films that I have is American Tail: Fival Goes West. I know the Land Before Time is now up to number 5 or something like that. Personally, I think the Secret of NIHM was probably the best of all of these-followed by American Tail. I can still hear my (late  :\'() brother-in-law imitaiting Madaline Khan in American Tail, "Welease the seqwet weapon"  :D

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/06/05 at 1:22 pm

Littlefoot Get's A Pension Cheque: The Land Before Time XXVI !  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/06/05 at 1:28 pm

The Secret of NIHM, American Tail, and the Land Before Time were all Don Bluth films. (I have all three on video) Yes, he did use to work for Disney and then set out on his own. He also did All Dogs Go to Heaven (another one that I have-which I cry everytime I watch it). The only sequals to these films that I have is American Tail: Fival Goes West. I know the Land Before Time is now up to number 5 or something like that. Personally, I think the Secret of NIHM was probably the best of all of these-followed by American Tail. I can still hear my (late  :\'() brother-in-law imitaiting Madaline Khan in American Tail, "Welease the seqwet weapon"  :D

Cat

His most currently film was Titan A.E., a pretty decent film, unfortunatly since there is more of a market for computer animated films, than traditional, it bombed big time.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/06/05 at 1:35 pm

Eleven.... count them.... eleven.... half as many as Police Academy and Friday The 13th combined....  ::)

The Land Before Time II: The Great Valley Adventure (1994)
The Land Before Time III: The Time of the Great Giving (1995)
The Land Before Time IV: Journey Through the Mists (1996)
The Land Before Time V: The Mysterious Island (1997)
The Land Before Time VI: The Secret of Saurus Rock (1998)
The Land Before Time VII: The Stone of Cold Fire (2000)
The Land Before Time VIII: The Big Freeze (2001)
The Land Before Time IX: Journey to the Big Water (2002)
The Land Before Time X: The Great Longneck Migration (2003)
The Land Before Time XI: Invasion of the Tinysauruses (2004)

Seriously.....  ::)

Written By: Paul on 06/06/05 at 2:18 pm

We in Britain made a very dark animated feature in the late 70s called 'Watership Down', adapted from the book by Richard Adams...

I'm not sure whether parents took their kids to see it expecting a cute-sy, Disney-esque flick about fluffy bunnies...despite receiving a 'U' certificate, it was anything but...!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/06/05 at 3:07 pm

We in Britain made a very dark animated feature in the late 70s called 'Watership Down', adapted from the book by Richard Adams...

I'm not sure whether parents took their kids to see it expecting a cute-sy, Disney-esque flick about fluffy bunnies...despite receiving a 'U' certificate, it was anything but...!

I have heard about it, if you really want dark and depressing, try The Plague Dogs, a animated movie, based on a novel by Richard Adams or When the Wind Blows.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084509/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090315/

Written By: Webstor on 06/06/05 at 7:54 pm

Underated  80's animated films are some of my favs.....

The above mentioned Secret of NIMH and American Tail are both great!

I have and own Watership Down also......a very good book and the film is pretty good too.

The Last Unicorn is also one of my favs from my childhood.......starring Jeff Bridges, Mia Farrow, Alan Arkin and Angela Lansbury.....and the soundtrack by AMERICA!  I love those old Rankin/Bass flicks!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/06/05 at 9:17 pm

Underated  80's animated films are some of my favs.....

The above mentioned Secret of NIMH and American Tail are both great!

I have and own Watership Down also......a very good book and the film is pretty good too.

The Last Unicorn is also one of my favs from my childhood.......starring Jeff Bridges, Mia Farrow, Alan Arkin and Angela Lansbury.....and the soundtrack by AMERICA!  I love those old Rankin/Bass flicks!

They (Rankin/Bass) also were responsible for alot of famous Christmas/Holiday TV cartoons from the 60's and 70's.

Written By: Chris Fulmer on 06/07/05 at 8:15 pm

Who here remembers Brave Little Toaster (from 1987ish)?  That was one I enjoyed, featuring Jon Lovitz and Thurl Ravenscroft. 

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/07/05 at 8:34 pm

Who here remembers Brave Little Toaster (from 1987ish)?  That was one I enjoyed, featuring Jon Lovitz and Thurl Ravenscroft. 

It was ok.....

Check for new replies or respond here...