inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What's the meaning behind Toto's song "99"

Written By: eric on 06/06/05 at 12:22 pm

what is the meaning of Toto's hit song "99" 

Subject: Re: What's the meaning behind Toto's song "99"

Written By: Carrie on 06/06/05 at 12:40 pm

"99"
The song '99' from the album 'Hydra' was inspired by George Lucas' movie 'THX-1138' (1971). This movie is set in the future where names have been replaced by numbers. Lucas used THX as the name for his movie theater sound system.
Toto made the video for the song look like a scene from the movie. In a particular scene, the main character (THX-1138) is being taken into prison. His cell is completely white, and everyone is wearing a white suit. Toto copied this in the video where everything was in white as well.

I got this off of http://www.toto99.com/encyclopedia/99.htm

Written By: Echo Nomad on 06/11/06 at 12:26 am

That's a new one. It's probably an urban legend but I heard it was dedicated to the girl who played agent99 on "Get Smart"

Written By: namilliron on 06/11/06 at 2:53 pm

That's a new one. It's probably an urban legend but I heard it was dedicated to the girl who played agent99 on "Get Smart"

It would not surprise me.  Both 99  and "Rosanna" were written by David Paich, who based the latter on Rosanna Arquette; herself an indirect 1960s TV reference.  her grandfather Cliff was "Charley Weaver" on the original HOLLYWOOD SQUARES from 1966 to his death in 1974.

Check for new replies or respond here...