inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite 80's Toys

Written By: jasdawn5 on 06/09/05 at 2:53 pm

I know there must be a hundred toys that I have forgotten about. 

Strawberry Shortcake (dolls and miniatures)
Rainbow Bright
Stretch Armstrong
My Little Pony
Rubics Cube
Alfie
Atari
Etch-A-Sketch Animator
Garbage Pail Kids (trading cards)
Pound Puppies
Speak-N-Spell

What toys do you remember from the 80's???

Subject: Re: Favorite 80's Toys

Written By: popmusik on 06/09/05 at 4:16 pm

He-man figures
Thundercat figures
Slip-n-slide
That thing you stand on and bounce around that had a ball in the middle?

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 06/09/05 at 4:24 pm

I loved Transformers. They were really expensive at the time, but worth it. I got Megatron for Christmas/1984 and it was incredible. I also loved those wrestling action figures put out by AWA/NWA in 1985. They also sold a wrestling ring. Those WWF wrestling dolls sucked. They were big, and were immobile and you couldn't playwrestle with them.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/09/05 at 5:03 pm

I was too old for toys in the 80s, but I had (and solved) the Rubic's cube.

Written By: Jennifer028 on 06/09/05 at 10:54 pm

Cabbage patch kids
Talking Cricket Doll
Smurfs figurines  :)
JEM
Barbie and the Rockers

Written By: jasdawn5 on 06/10/05 at 1:02 am

Of course Cabbage Patch Kids!!!  I had 4 of them.  They are actually selling them again in stores now.  I've seen a lot of retro toys lately. 

Written By: Max Headroom on 07/17/05 at 3:11 pm

Faves:  Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi action figures, He-Man, G.I. Joe, Atari, Power-Lord, Lazer Tag, Clown-Around Clowns, Marvel Secret Wars action figures, Nintendo.... I could go on and on.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/17/05 at 3:30 pm

G.I. Joe
Etch A Sketch
Lite Bright
Transformers
Thundercats
Masters of The Universe
M.A.S.K.
Construx
Speak and Spell
Lazer Tag
Nintendo

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/17/05 at 3:31 pm

G.I. Joe
Was your G.I. Joe, the same as Action Man in the UK?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/17/05 at 5:08 pm

Was your G.I. Joe, the same as Action Man in the UK?

Not sure....

I am thinking more on the lines of the G.I. Joe series that had Cobra Commander and Snake Eyes.

http://www.yojoe.com/action/85/85card/snakeeyes2.jpg

Written By: eightieschick53 on 07/17/05 at 5:48 pm

My favorite toys from the eighties are:

1) The Wuzzles (I had Bumblelion  ;D)

2) Gizmo from The Gremlins

3) Gloworms

4) Cabbage Patch Dolls

5) Barbies

The list goes on and on but those are the top 5.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/17/05 at 8:56 pm

He-man figures
Thundercat figures
Slip-n-slide
That thing you stand on and bounce around that had a ball in the middle?

It probally was a Pogo Ball.

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/50098621/Pogo_Ball.jpg

Written By: robby76 on 07/18/05 at 12:16 am

I was action figure crazy... Star Wars closely followed by GI Joe. Then of course all the rest... Asterix, Dungeons & Dragons, He-man, Thundercats, A-Team, Smurfs... I literally had everything! Ha ha!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/18/05 at 1:38 am

Not sure....

I am thinking more on the lines of the G.I. Joe series that had Cobra Commander and Snake Eyes.

http://www.yojoe.com/action/85/85card/snakeeyes2.jpg
Action Man was about 12 inches high.
http://www.sandaigprimary.co.uk/classes/primary_one_03_04/toyimages/greig.jpg
Picture shows a modern version.

Written By: robby76 on 07/18/05 at 7:04 am

Action Man were the original and were "dolls" (can't think of a word). They did release the US GI Joe 3 3/4 inch figures (seen in Jamie's pic)  in the UK, but they were renamed "Action Force".

Written By: MetalManiac on 07/18/05 at 8:57 am

How long did it take you to solve? There was a girl in one of my classes in 7th grade who could do the damn thing in about 10 seconds flat. I forget how long she had it before she was able to solve it...not too long that I remember.

Written By: Miss Nostalgia on 07/18/05 at 9:17 am

I like

The Dukes of Hazzard

Strawberry Shortcake

Written By: Cafe80s on 07/18/05 at 10:14 am

Mine were definatly Transformers which i still own many of the popular characters from early on in the series in excellent condition still. Yes i own Optimus Prime & Megatron, i hear they are the most saught after these days. I even own an official Hasbro Transformers wall clock which i still have on my wall now & it's still ticking. I'm guessing it would be ultra ultra rare considering i've never heard of or met anyone else that has one & i've never seen it on Ebay in all the time i've had the internet. I loved He-man before that but only have Battle Armor He-man & Battle Armor Skeletor in mint condition still. After Transformers the next craze for me was Voltron which i also own the complete robot of, but he is not in the best shape & is missing his Blazing Sword & other accesories.
I also really loved the 1987 Popball, so much amusment from something so simple.
In terms of girls toys i think Jem & The Holograms were very cool. I liked the rival band The Misfits, ohhhhhhh yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah lol.
My girlfriend actually had Stormer up untill last year & she gave her away. Now she regrets it very much.  "Gave her away" that's just madness.

Written By: robby76 on 07/18/05 at 10:25 am

Cafe80's:- I got rid of all my toys (or rather my Mum did), but in the very late 90's I started collecting all my Star Wars ewoks and the ewok village (all loose except for the Village which came in a very old but original box). They were my absolute favourites. I also re-collected Asterix and Planet of The Apes toys. I'm aiming at having one big 80's toy room one day... ha ha!

Written By: Cafe80s on 07/18/05 at 10:42 am

That's fantastic. It's a shame your mum got rid of all that stuff. Anything i've lost or that was broken of mine from the 80s i'm trying to recollect or replace now. It's a bit out of control, because the toys from the 80s were the best & there's so much i want. I almost maxed out my whole credit card on ebay & for the moment i'm just paying that off. Also Transformers figures like Constructicons &  Dinobots where never reissued even in Japan & the originals are way to expensive now or not in the best shape & up to my standard. Dinobots & Constructicons & Blitzwing are the only ones i used to own that i don't still have now.
By the way i have that Ewoks movie Caravan Of Courage. Remember that? Not exactly what you'd call up standard with the other Star Wars movies, but really it was more of a kids movie based on Star Wars characters rather than a spin off. I still have fond memories of it though

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/18/05 at 11:16 am

How long did it take you to solve? There was a girl in one of my classes in 7th grade who could do the darn thing in about 10 seconds flat. I forget how long she had it before she was able to solve it...not too long that I remember.
After studying the format of the Rubik's Cube and noticing certain movements etc, I could do the thing in ten minutes, but I doubt if I could remember how to now.

Written By: eightieschick53 on 07/18/05 at 12:05 pm

Here is a picture of my favorite toy, Bumblelion... I used to sleep with him when I was a baby  ;D  ;)

Written By: Cafe80s on 07/18/05 at 12:25 pm

Awwwwwww that's cute. I vaguely remember that soft toy. That actually jogged my mermory. I was probably too old for that sorta thing when it came out though. You'd have to be from Australia or the UK because i noticed the Kylie Minogue Locomotion reference at the bottom of the post. I remember pretty much all the girls at my school at the time liked that song. 

Written By: robby76 on 07/19/05 at 11:07 am

Does anyone remember a Rubiks cube which wasn't a cube... it had like 14 sides and shaped like a hexagon.

Written By: mitch1987 on 07/19/05 at 11:09 am

Well the 80's had so many great toy lines. Its hard to pick just one.....it really was the best time to be a kid!! I'd have to go with GIJOE as the best.I was looking in a toy shop recently and they had the Snake Eyes that is pitured above...for 1500.00 US dollars!!!! If only we could go back :o They had the best accessories and vehicles. Star Wars, Transformers, COPS, Rambo, Sectaurs, GOBOTS, HEMAN, and tons of others.

Written By: Cafe80s on 07/19/05 at 12:00 pm

Does anyone remember a Rubiks cube which wasn't a cube... it had like 14 sides and shaped like a hexagon.

I don't remember a Rubiks Hexagon. The only Rubiks puzzles i remember were the cube. link the rings, unlink the rings, the clocks & a piramid which was just like the cube but i don't know whether the piramid was made by Rubiks.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/05 at 1:07 pm

I don't remember a Rubiks Hexagon. The only Rubiks puzzles i remember were the cube. link the rings, unlink the rings, the clocks & a piramid which was just like the cube but i don't know whether the piramid was made by Rubiks.
Rubiks Hexagon sounds familiar!

Written By: smurfette 101 on 07/19/05 at 3:46 pm

my favorite 80s toy was the simon says and the rubix cube  :)

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 07/19/05 at 7:23 pm

I remember the Rubix hexagons. My grandpa had one. He was really good at all those Rubix cubes. Out of all the toys you guys have mentioned, how could you forget Voltron?  :D :o :-*

Written By: Cafe80s on 07/19/05 at 7:53 pm

I mentioned Voltron earlier on this thread. I still have all the Voltron lions & i have them all constructed as Voltron sitting in my wardrobe. He's missing the blazing sword & the shiriken that he's supposed to have. There's a bit of wear on the chrome on the legs of some of the lions & the red lion is missing the hatch that opens on it's back where you would put the  little figurine is suppused to go in the cockpit. I also have Season 1 of Voltron Lion Force on DVD. I do remember the Voltron Vehical Force aswell, the toys for Vehical Force were made by Matchbox. I was a huge Voltron fan & i was obcessed with it in 86 & 87. When i watched the DVDs recently i thought it was nowhere near as good as Transformers though, but still better than any of the cartoons out there now. The storylines & plots in the Voltron episodes seemed to be a lot more sketchy & repetative than the Transformers one's. I still love Voltron, i just have fonder memories of Transformers for some reason, it defanatly made more of an impression on me.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 07/19/05 at 10:49 pm

The era of Transformers and Voltron, man, those were the days! :D  :-*

Subject: 80's Dolls for Sale - Jem, Darci, Maxie, Glamour Gals & Dazzles

Written By: Donna B. on 07/28/05 at 8:11 am

Good morning everyone.  If interested I have some 80s dolls for sale consisting of Jem, Darci, Maxie, Glamour Gals and Dazzles.  Please e-mail directly for pictures and list: chang@pipeline.com  Thank you and have a nice day.  Donna B.

Written By: MR.E on 07/28/05 at 12:07 pm

Ok I'm dying here. I had a dream about a collection of toys I used to play with, and now I have just spent the last two days trying to find the name of them. The whole idea behind these toys was their zip line. Each little plastic guy had a wrist clip that was attached with a bungee chord. They had a few different vehicles that would also slide down lines via clamps I would attach to my window sill, and bed post. I really don't want this to consume me any more then it already has, someone please help me!

Written By: aprilfrcho2005 on 08/24/05 at 2:10 am

Anyone remember Lite Brite?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/24/05 at 2:23 am

Nope!

Written By: Magnum,PI {2} on 08/24/05 at 9:28 am

YAH LITE BRITE i loved that i syill have mine with all the pegs!!!

Written By: nally on 08/24/05 at 5:14 pm

As a child of the 80's (I was born in 1980), I enjoyed lots of the toys I had, including Etch-A-Sketch and the Rubix Cube.

I also had some electronic educational toys, like Alphie (which looked like a robot) and Computron (which was sold by Sears in 1985 and had a spinoff, "Talking" Computron, two years later). I still have 'em packed away.

Written By: rich1981 on 08/25/05 at 1:11 am

I vaguely remember that commercial, I think it started as "Lite Brite, Lite Brite ... " but that is all I remember.

Written By: nally on 09/01/05 at 1:27 pm

In the late 80's, my grandma took me to McDonalds quite frequently; I always had a Happy Meal which would feature a certain toy in a series. Even into the early 90's I collected some Happy Meal toys. I still have most of them as well.

Written By: reply on 02/20/09 at 8:11 pm

Ok I'm dying here. I had a dream about a collection of toys I used to play with, and now I have just spent the last two days trying to find the name of them. The whole idea behind these toys was their zip line. Each little plastic guy had a wrist clip that was attached with a bungee chord. They had a few different vehicles that would also slide down lines via clamps I would attach to my window sill, and bed post. I really don't want this to consume me any more then it already has, someone please help me!

ran across your questions while i was looking for them myself... they are called sky commanders I had a guy and the "Rapid Deployment" heres the site for pics http://dukenostalgia.com/Kscope/SkyComm/SkC_index.html

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/20/09 at 8:46 pm

Kabangers, yep those were my favorite toy.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/21/09 at 5:57 pm

I liked those Speak N Say ones, I got a kick how if you got a math problem wrong more than twice, the voice almost got angry. I also liked those pulltoys (i.e. let's say with farming sounds). I guess video games could technically count as "toys" but everyone had those.

Written By: Stinkyy on 03/02/09 at 1:28 pm

http://www.brianstoys.com/store/images/products/GIJoe/25th%20Anniversary/Exclusive/bestof80s.jpg

This is pretty cool - Hasbro is releasing a "Best of the 80s" set of Joes... 

Written By: robby76 on 03/02/09 at 6:59 pm

This is pretty cool - Hasbro is releasing a "Best of the 80s" set of Joes... 

I was on ebay all last night looking at the GI Joe 25th anniversary figures etc. Thing is, if I buy a couple I know it'll spiral into an uncontrollable collection. I may just buy my faves and stop there. I love Spirit and all the Dreadnoks.

Written By: nicole1977 on 03/02/09 at 7:29 pm

Let's see here.  I just want to say that I'm so glad to be a child and a preteen in the 80s even though I went through some hard times.  My favorite toys from the 80s are:

Rainbow Brite
Strawberry Shortcake doll
Smurfs
Alvin stuffed doll
Cabbage Patch Dolls
Big Wheels
Baby Skates
Baby Alive
Hugga Bunch dolls
Popples
Care Bears
Simon
Animator
Atari
Jem and the Holograms dolls
Smurf figurines
Teddy Ruxpin
Talking Cricket
Lite Brite

Written By: midnite on 03/09/09 at 7:39 pm

My favorite toys from the 80s were:

Soccer, Baseball, Football - Yes, we actually played OUTSIDE in the 80s.
Star Wars & GiJoe action figures
Match Box cars
Smurfs
Heman action figures
Transformers

Written By: Satish on 03/13/09 at 7:48 pm

This topic has been done before on this board:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=3515.0

Here's what I wrote back then:

From Transformers, Fortress Maximus and Powermaster Optimus Prime.

Written By: paula on 03/22/09 at 3:27 pm

Could anyone please tell me where I could find any of the 80s infant toy. . . especially the Johnson & Johnson Child Development toys.  They were just great and I would love to purchase them again, now, for my neices and newphews!

Written By: karen on 03/23/09 at 8:13 am

You might find them on eBay

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/23/09 at 9:30 am

G.I. Joe and Transforners, wre some of my favorites.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/30/09 at 1:04 pm

Much like trying to learn the art of oragami I never had the paitence to solve the Rubix Cube.  ::)

Written By: Frank on 03/31/09 at 11:53 pm

My favorite toy back in the 80's was this girl called Emily. She was a fun toy to play with.  ;)

Honestly, my fave toy in the early 80's was a "Commodore 64" my friend had and we had fun with it.

Check for new replies or respond here...