inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Phil Collins in th 80's.

Written By: tv on 06/11/05 at 3:13 am

I just remembered this on the board for songs that were hits in 1988. Phil Collins had alot of hit songs in the 80's. "Just Another Day In Paradise, Two Hearts, Take Me Home, Land of Confusion, Easy Lover, Misunderstanding, Sususodio, Seperate Lives, In the Air Tonight, and Invisible Touch. I think Phil deserves alot of credit for his success back then. Maybe he didn't have the media attention that Cynidi Lauper, Madonna, Duran Duran, Def Leppard, The Police, and Michael Jackson had but Phil kept on pumping out hits. Even though he kind of got soft in the latter part of the 90's he was still on top his game in the 80's/early 90's. Keep in mind I'm only 25 years old but Phil Collins it seemed like he had a hit song evey time I was in the car with my mom in the 80's and the radio was on. I strayed away from 80's music in the 90's. I looked back back at 80's music after I graduated High Scholl in 1998 I was like I remember that song, that song, and that song too all by Phil Collins. Its like that guy just piled hit after hit after hit.

Subject: Re: Phil Collins in th 80's.

Written By: gord on 06/11/05 at 4:06 pm

Phil was mr. radio in the 80s, and a big let down for me after some of the great albums he was a part of with Genesis in the 70s. I guess he realized how much money was to be made pumping out hit singles :)

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 06/11/05 at 5:53 pm

Yeah, I liked his songs too. He wasn't my favorite though. But anytime you hear those Phil Collins songs, you immediately think of the great memories of the 80's. They're not deep songs lyrically. They're not meant to be. They're feel good songs. Nothing more,nothing less.

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 06/12/05 at 5:47 pm

I have a friend who is a total celbrity magnet -and a groupie magnet, cos they all wanna know her secret. Mr Collins was one of the 1st she met. She and her friend were hanging outside the Sebel Townhouse in Sydney. Phil took them to breakfast, told them that they should go back to school and that one day they were going to look back and realise that "this was very sill." But in 25 years, my friend is still the same! ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...