inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Fave Hair Band Poll

Written By: aerognrjovihalen on 06/12/05 at 11:09 pm

Select up to 10.

Subject: Re: Fave Hair Band Poll

Written By: Moldie Oldie on 06/13/05 at 4:51 am

Select up to 10.
  You forgot the best of all........Y & T

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/13/05 at 10:14 am

What about Bon Jovi?

I picked Extreme (yeah, I did it!), Whitesnake, Poison, Motley Crue, Warrant, and Skid Row.

Tanya

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/13/05 at 1:39 pm

I chose Whitesnake, Warrant, Skid Row, Cinderella, Winger :)

Since that awful fire in that Rhode Island night club a few years ago, and the fact that great white never bothered to show ANY sympathy towrds the families of the victims, I have NO desire to listen to them anymore :P

Written By: woops on 06/13/05 at 4:40 pm

8)

Motley Crue
Poison
Ratt
Quiet Riot
Dokken
Cinderella
Night Ranger
Faster Pussycat
Skid Row
Warrant

Written By: aerognrjovihalen on 06/13/05 at 6:34 pm

Good picks so far everyone.  Also I just wanted to inform you that bands like Bon Jovi, Guns N' Roses, Def Leppard, and Van Halen were excluded because they are way too prominent and/or have stood the test of time.  I almost considered removing Motley Crue, however left them in since they haven't had a Top 40 hit since 1989.  Also any band that released a lot of material in the 70s is not on here.  And bands that are too hard like Metallica and Judas Priest also are not on here.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/13/05 at 7:49 pm

Good picks so far everyone.  Also I just wanted to inform you that bands like Bon Jovi, Guns N' Roses, Def Leppard, and Van Halen were excluded because they are way too prominent and/or have stood the test of time.  I almost considered removing Motley Crue, however left them in since they haven't had a Top 40 hit since 1989.  Also any band that released a lot of material in the 70s is not on here.  And bands that are too hard like Metallica and Judas Priest also are not on here.

With the exception of a few hits by Bon Jovi, I don't believe that Guns and Roses, Def Leppard, and Van Halen stood the test of time. Yes, they have their place in musical history, but as far as keeping up with today, they haven't been able to (unfortunately).

Tanya

Written By: Blondie on 06/13/05 at 9:30 pm

In no particular order,my choices are:
Warrant
Motley Crue
Night Ranger
Skid Row
Twisted Sister
Cinderella
Firehouse
Whitesnake
Europe
Great White

Written By: aerognrjovihalen on 06/13/05 at 9:46 pm

With the exception of a few hits by Bon Jovi, I don't believe that Guns and Roses, Def Leppard, and Van Halen stood the test of time. Yes, they have their place in musical history, but as far as keeping up with today, they haven't been able to (unfortunately).

Tanya

Maybe I should have said "if they sold 30+ million albums, they are excluded".  Because all of the above did.

And they will all end up in the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame, I'm sure. 

Written By: iluvthe80s on 06/14/05 at 7:18 am

I picked Motley Crue and Poison, who had the best music and the sexiest frontmen (Vince Neil and Bret Michaels, respectively).  8)

I would have voted for Bon Jovi if they had been on the list too.  :)

Written By: Gis on 06/14/05 at 12:45 pm

Well apart from my votes I would add Lillian Axe,Dog's D'amour,Electric Angels, Hanoi Rocks and the Dan Reed Network.

Written By: Red_Fiver on 06/14/05 at 1:07 pm

i liked motley crue but they look (looked?) like girls with makeup?  LOL!!! :D

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 06/14/05 at 4:46 pm

Remember Britny Fox? And Slaughter?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/14/05 at 8:03 pm

Maybe I should have said "if they sold 30+ million albums, they are excluded".  Because all of the above did.

And they will all end up in the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame, I'm sure. 

I would've agreed with you then! They will end up there sometime in the future!

Tanya

Written By: aerognrjovihalen on 06/14/05 at 10:56 pm

Remember Britny Fox? And Slaughter?

I'm sorry.  I kinda rushed this poll...did it all from memory.  In doing so, I forgot a lot of noteworthy bands.

Slaughter
Britny Fox
Steelheart
Bad English
Kix
Sheriff
White Lion
L.A. Guns
Queensryche

So, if you would like to vote for any of these bands or any others I may have forgot, please do a write-in by posting the bands not listed that you would like to put in a vote for.  This add-on, write-in feature starts....NOW.

Written By: _adam_ on 06/15/05 at 4:31 am

Night ranger and Whitesnake are classic rock bands.

But my favorite hair band is Cinderella(on Night songs and Long cold winter)
then Poison,Ratt,Motley crue.

Written By: TC1970 on 06/15/05 at 6:02 pm

CInderella! They still kick ass!  :P

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 06/15/05 at 6:47 pm

Queensryche is NOT a hair band.

Written By: BCRichrocker on 06/15/05 at 9:51 pm

What is a "hair band"? A band that had long hair? Then you would have to include all '80s metal bands. Bands that used hair spray? Most metal bands back in the day used even a little.  The term was invented in the 1990's to insult any 1980's band that was actually considered Pop Metal back in the day. But anyway, to answer your question I would say Ratt, Dokken, and Stryper (who actually has a new CD coming out and looks and sounds much different than a "hair band" now).

Written By: LikeTotallyTara on 06/15/05 at 11:33 pm

There were alot there that I loved, but Bon Jovi and Def Leppard will always be my very favorite hair bands. :)

Poison was great.  Skid Row rocked.  I had a HUGE crush on Sebastian Bach.  I named my kitty in 7th grade Sebastian Philip Bach the Cat.  LMAO

Written By: aerognrjovihalen on 06/16/05 at 12:05 am

What is a "hair band"? A band that had long hair? Then you would have to include all '80s metal bands. Bands that used hair spray? Most metal bands back in the day used even a little.  The term was invented in the 1990's to insult any 1980's band that was actually considered Pop Metal back in the day. But anyway, to answer your question I would say Ratt, Dokken, and Stryper (who actually has a new CD coming out and looks and sounds much different than a "hair band" now).

Any band featured on Monsters of Rock 1 & 2, Monster Ballads, or Monster Madness...except Judas Priest.

Written By: TC1970 on 06/16/05 at 4:47 am

Queensryche is NOT a hair band.

A lot of the bands listed I would not classify as a "hair band" It's a shame some got that classification. A good many of those groups were very talented and not deserving of that title.

Written By: BCRichrocker on 06/16/05 at 9:18 am

Any band featured on Monsters of Rock 1 & 2, Monster Ballads, or Monster Madness...except Judas Priest.

I was being sarcastic. I know what is labeled as "hair bands". I am a metal guitar player from the era.

I just feel that calling a band a "hair band" would be like calling a grunge band a "scum band". It would only serve to be derogatory. So I choose not to use the term.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/16/05 at 10:03 am

My favorite was Night Ranger...but I really did like Bon Jovi as well.

Erin :)

Check for new replies or respond here...