inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When the 80s REALLY began and ended

Written By: aerognrjovihalen on 06/13/05 at 12:03 am

People often group together decades by 70s, 80s, 90s, etc., but I think it's all wrong.  Regarding things such as fashion, movies, music, technology, toys, world events, and the like, I think they are grouped quite differently.  I believe the 1980s started in 1983 and lasted til 1994.  Why?

In 1980, 1981, and 1982, the 1970s came to a dark end.  Culture was almost in the pits at this time.  It was the post-disco, post-Vietnam, post-Oil Crisis, post-everything world.  70s stars like Karen Carpenter, John Belushi, Bon Scott, and John Bonham died.  Journey, REO Speedwagon, and Foreigner, carry-over 70s bands were the main attractions at the time.  Joan Jett had a major hit, but that's about it.  Movies like Airplane and the Star Wars follow-ups still reflected the aura of the 70s.

Then, in come 1983.  MTV exploded.  Culture exploded.  Fashion exploded.  New wave, hair metal, speed metal, rock & roll...all of it coming to life.  Pyromania, Thriller, Like a Virgin, 1984, Shout at the Devil, Purple Rain, License to Ill, Born in the USA...and the party never ended.  Ronald Reagan finally got the country back on its feet and people believed once again.

But the 80s hung around for a while.  It ended in the early 1990s, not 1989.  Cosby and Cheers didn't end til 1992.  Full House, not until 1995.  Home Alone and Home Alone 2, released in 1990 & 92, were very 1980s.  The last wave of hair metal was still going strong through 1992 with bands like Mr. Big, Warrant, and Queensryche.  Guns N' Roses world tour didn't end til 93.  Aerosmith's 1993 Get a Grip still had an 80s feel and was the last of their hit trio of Geffen albums.  Even 94/95 movies like Speed and Clueless still had traces of 1980s.

Some milestones that finally drew the line between 1980s and 1990s:
Johnny Carson's last show, 1992
The end of the Bulls' first three consecutive championships, 1993
Ronald Reagan's letter about him having Alzheimer's Disease, 1994
Kurt Cobain commits suicide, alllowing for a stream of modern alternative rock that replaced hair metal and mainstream rock, that has never stopped, 1994
The OJ Simpson Trial, 1995

Any thoughts?  When do you think the 80s began/ended?  Why?

Also, I believe the 1990s were very shortlived (1994-2001), cut short by Sept. 11.

Subject: Re: When the 80s REALLY began and ended

Written By: robby76 on 06/13/05 at 1:00 am

Hmmm, well if you wanna dissect it further... in my opinion there were 2 types of 80's... the 82-86 era and the 87-90. I think the latter half era could of strecthed to 1992, but no further.

Everyone will have their own timeline depending on what they were doing. In 1987 I went to a different high school, so to me that marked a different type of 80's... a little more modern, more candy-pop music etc.

Written By: BCRichrocker on 06/13/05 at 1:24 pm

The 1980's stopped in 1991. There were shades of it during '92 but really the decade ended on the date of September 24, 1991 when Nirvana's "Nevermind" was released and started a whole new culture (It is very sad). Period.

I truly believe that a decade usually ends it's run around the first to second year into it. Such as 1981-82 ended the 1970's. (or did it? The 1990's were just a sad regurgitation of that drab decade). The same for 1991-92. But when did the '90s end? Take a look (and listen) around that decade is still alive and well ("hippie" type hair and clothes from 30-40 years ago. Music that has a late 70's early 80s feel). That is the only decade I have ever witnessed in my life that is refusing to go away entirely. You can see some essence of "new" retro (80's) emerging but it is a very hard for it to make a real dent. This is why the music industry as well as fashion is so stale now. People really do need to embrace something new and move on, whether it be '80s retro this time or something else.

Written By: murfj on 06/13/05 at 1:31 pm

I, too, think that the 80's basically ended in 1991, with some flavor of it left over in 1992.  It just seems that the clothing, the music, the toys, the movies, the TV shows all evolved into something different by 1992, marking the beginning of a new cultural decade in my eyes.  I guess there was even some transition that was noticeable in 1990 and 1991, maybe if any of us could go back in time we'd easily be able to notice the "beginning of the end" of that great decade somewhere in there. 

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/13/05 at 4:22 pm

Interesting POV - I never get sick of hearing stuff like this! :)

I think 1979 was when the shift into the 80's started. This transitional era was maybe 79-82.

1980 and '81 were still mainly 70's holdover years (eg: new wave was around, but hadn't really hit the mainstream yet). 1982 I'd say, was mainly 80's, but with some 70's nuggets thrown in - even movies like Fast Times at Ridgemont High seemed to have a late 70's vibe to it.

1983 was 100% 80's though, IMO. From what I know, late '82 or early '83 was when MTV really started taking off (it debuted in August 1981, but didn't catch fire instantly). Atari games also started making a splash in this time.

I'd consider 1983-86 to be the "core"/main 80's - John Hughes movies started in this time too! 8) In 1987, it started shifting closer to some early 90's-ish styles. 1988 and '89 more so though - partially with the emerging popularity of rap.

I do agree that the TV and movies in first half of the 90's still felt very 80's like (especially Full House!). So did the movies - even though Pauly Shore was big during the grunge era, his brand of silly/lighthearted surfer dude humor seemed to be in step with the 80's. ;)

Even some songs as late as '94 seemed to have an 80's influence to them, like Ace of Base's "The Sign" - but in general, I'd say the musical 80's ended in late '91. 1992 had splashes of 80's music, but still was mostly 90's.

So as a recap:

Phase 1, 1979-81 - 70's holdover years, with 80's styles slowly emerging, but not "taken over" yet.

Phase 2, 1983-86 - "Main" 80's. The MTV peak, Miami Vice/Wedding Singer-ish years where the 80's culture peaked (82 and 87 could be borderline on phases 1 and 3, respectively, but could work here too).

Phase 3, 1988-91 - "Fringe late 80's" era. Some very slight influences up as late as '94, but the 80's certainly weren't cool past '91.

Written By: robby76 on 06/14/05 at 9:24 pm

Agreed Marty, good accurate recap. And yeah there's no harm in analyzing stuff... ha ha!

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/14/05 at 9:26 pm

I could be an arsehole and say they started on January 1st 1980 and ended December 31st 1989.  ::)

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/14/05 at 9:39 pm

I could be an arsehole and say they started on January 1st 1980 and ended December 31st 1989. ::)

If you're talkin' about calendar years, yes, but for the "feel and overall cultural" aspects, I'd say the 80's were 1982-91. :D

You could make a case and say the very start of the pathway to the 80's was in about '79 and lasted as late as 1994 in some very slight areas (though late 91/early 92 was the last time they were "cool").

EDIT - It seems to me that TV and movies are the medium that seems to have a "holdover" feel in the new decade the most. Like 80's music styles were mostly gone by '92 but 80's stuff on the airwaves was as late as 1995 or so. With TV it makes sense, since the show itself could've started in the previous decade (eg: Full House was 1987-95) and movies aren't quite as trendy, perhaps.

Written By: Dukefan on 06/14/05 at 11:05 pm

I truly believe that a decade usually ends it's run around the first to second year into it. Such as 1981-82 ended the 1970's. (or did it? The 1990's were just a sad regurgitation of that drab decade). The same for 1991-92. But when did the '90s end? Take a look (and listen) around that decade is still alive and well ("hippie" type hair and clothes from 30-40 years ago. Music that has a late 70's early 80s feel). That is the only decade I have ever witnessed in my life that is refusing to go away entirely.

I kind of agree here.

The 2000s have really yet to take on a personality of their own.  We have a few things around that seem unique, but in some ways it feels as if the culture of the 90s is just being held around and beaten to death. 

Perhaps the '00s will be known as when the years collided?

Written By: aerognrjovihalen on 06/14/05 at 11:37 pm

Good replies everyone.  I think we've pretty much established that the 80s didn't really take off til 1982/1983.  And with the end of the 80s, I'm starting to agree that most of it ended in 92.  I guess I was looking in too much at the leftover traces found well into 94/95.

Ever since the mid 90s however (yes, I know this probably belongs in the 90s or 00s board), the decade lines appear blurry.  But I think the 90s and the 00s were divided at Sept. 11, 2001.  While it's taking some time for this decade to get going and find its niche, the differences between the mid 90s and the mid 00s are definitely worth noting.

Just a few examples:
No more boy bands
Enclosed malls are dying
Britney's not innocent anymore
SUVs instead of minivans
Jackson case 2005, OJ case 1995
Bush instead of Clinton
Amber alert galore
Cell phones and High-speed Internet are now mandatory; wasn't back in 95
More nuetural fashion color shades instead of neon or goth extremes
No more Marilyn Manson, Slipknot wackjobs
Nobody sells 10 million albums like it's nothing anymore
No more super-teams, like the Bulls, Cowboys, Yankees, etc.
Kids never, I mean never play hard outside, the way Gen Yers, Gen Xers, and Boomers did

Written By: robby76 on 06/15/05 at 4:47 am

It's a sorry state of affairs in some cases, but I suppose kids these days don't miss what they never had. I bet teenagers in the 50's and 60's thought the 70's/80's kids were wild unruly drug addicts... quite true in some cases, so I'd be a hypocrite to say kids these days don't know what they're missing. I'm really getting tired of the rap / hiphop genre now... all the video's look the same, all the rappers look the same all the songs sound the same. There's only so far you can go with rap and I think it's all been done. Wow I digressed!

Written By: BCRichrocker on 06/15/05 at 10:17 am

Good replies everyone.  I think we've pretty much established that the 80s didn't really take off til 1982/1983.  And with the end of the 80s, I'm starting to agree that most of it ended in 92.  I guess I was looking in too much at the leftover traces found well into 94/95.

Ever since the mid 90s however (yes, I know this probably belongs in the 90s or 00s board), the decade lines appear blurry.  But I think the 90s and the 00s were divided at Sept. 11, 2001.  While it's taking some time for this decade to get going and find its niche, the differences between the mid 90s and the mid 00s are definitely worth noting.

Just a few examples:
No more boy bands
Enclosed malls are dying
Britney's not innocent anymore
SUVs instead of minivans
Jackson case 2005, OJ case 1995
Bush instead of Clinton
Amber alert galore
Cell phones and High-speed Internet are now mandatory; wasn't back in 95
More nuetural fashion color shades instead of neon or goth extremes
No more Marilyn Manson, Slipknot wackjobs
Nobody sells 10 million albums like it's nothing anymore
No more super-teams, like the Bulls, Cowboys, Yankees, etc.
Kids never, I mean never play hard outside, the way Gen Yers, Gen Xers, and Boomers did

No offence, but while those may be considered defining points none have had a dramatic influence on "pop culture" like the Pop Metal (or "hairbands" but I detest the term, it's a 1990's deragotory term invented to put the genre' down) or New Wave had in the 1980's or that Nirvana and the grunge era had in the 1990's on the enitire society and it's culture. Every decade has newsworthy big events that happen but that is just that, news and not culture shaping sweeping changes. We aren't talking about technology, sports teams, and the personal lives of celebrities, but we are talking about the entire fashion and entertainment culture. It is a pretty well known fact within the music industry that it is stale and their needs to be something new. There is even a mini commercial with some well known artists wanting to know "who's next?" or should we say "what's next?". They are just as curious as we are. The reality is there hasn't been a culture changing trend that has been wide sweeping since grunge. Everything now has just "evolved" from it. Even Hip Hop and Rap have changed, no argument there, but are in a lull right now even with their popularity. So if you take a real look around it still is very much the 1990's still with just some small changes added in. If you were to go back to 1985 and compare it to 1995 you would see a much greater culture shock than to go from 2005 to 1995.

Written By: BCRichrocker on 06/15/05 at 10:50 am

Here's a graphic example:

Nirvana (early to mid 1990's):

http://www.ece.arizona.edu/~karthikk/images/nirvana-collection.jpg

Nickelback (they are still popular, correct?):

http://www.rockgiants.com/catalog/images/C0003_NickelBack_F.jpg

Now contrast the Nirvana (early to mid 90's) with 1985:

Motley Crue circa mid 80's:

http://www.shanehanlon.org/images/band1269.jpg

and Duran Duran circa 1980's sometime:

http://www.imissthe80s.com/images/albumtheme.jpg

Pretty dramatic difference, huh?

Written By: Red_Fiver on 06/15/05 at 1:29 pm

oh gosh your confusing me!!!! (did I spell that right?)
my mom and dad were in the 80s!! we have pictures! :)  Im to young to remeber
those are nice pictures but i dont know about the second one :D

Written By: aerognrjovihalen on 06/15/05 at 9:47 pm

No offence, but while those may be considered defining points none have had a dramatic influence on "pop culture" like the Pop Metal (or "hairbands" but I detest the term, it's a 1990's deragotory term invented to put the genre' down) or New Wave had in the 1980's or that Nirvana and the grunge era had in the 1990's on the enitire society and it's culture. Every decade has newsworthy big events that happen but that is just that, news and not culture shaping sweeping changes. We aren't talking about technology, sports teams, and the personal lives of celebrities, but we are talking about the entire fashion and entertainment culture. It is a pretty well known fact within the music industry that it is stale and their needs to be something new. There is even a mini commercial with some well known artists wanting to know "who's next?" or should we say "what's next?". They are just as curious as we are. The reality is there hasn't been a culture changing trend that has been wide sweeping since grunge. Everything now has just "evolved" from it. Even Hip Hop and Rap have changed, no argument there, but are in a lull right now even with their popularity. So if you take a real look around it still is very much the 1990's still with just some small changes added in. If you were to go back to 1985 and compare it to 1995 you would see a much greater culture shock than to go from 2005 to 1995.

I think rap/hip-hop will tire itself out very soon, much in the way I think pop-metal/hair bands and new wave did.  They can only last so long.  There can only be so many copycat artists, trying to outdo one another.  So I think this decade will really start to pick up steam soon.  And things have changed considerably since 1995...just check out the 90s board where we all talk about things of our childhood.  There's no more decent Nickolodeon shows, family sitcoms, Disney movies, Saturday morning cartoons, rock bands (whether grunge or pop-metal), cool toys (Lego city, Micro-machines, Waffle blocks, Barbies, Beanie Babies), you name it...it's gone.  Everything out today is pure rubbish or digitally based.  And there's a complete lack of creativity and wholesomness in the television, music, and film industries.  That's why the good days came to a close somewhere in the 90s.

Written By: BCRichrocker on 06/15/05 at 9:58 pm

Everything out today is pure rubbish or digitally based.  And there's a complete lack of creativity and wholesomness in the television, music, and film industries.

Sounds like the last 13 years (and counting) to me. But what do I know, I am just an 80s child. I think the "good days" came to a close somewhere in 1991-92.

Wow 90's nostalgia already. I thought it was a little early for that.

Written By: aerognrjovihalen on 06/16/05 at 12:36 am

Sounds like the last 13 years (and counting) to me. But what do I know, I am just an 80s child. I think the "good days" came to a close somewhere in 1991-92.

Wow 90's nostalgia already. I thought it was a little early for that.

So you tell me that Forrest Gump was a horrible movie, Clueless was not entertaining, Full House was not wholesome up to its end, and Nirvana is the same as Nickelback, and Nickelodeon's hasn't already seen it's heyday??  And the Star Wars-based Legos are just as good as the city-based ones?  And Toys R Us is the most successful toy retailer in the country still?  And NSYNC and The Spice Girls are the biggest thing on the scene still?  I could go on forever.  There is every reason to be nostalgic about the 90s and the things from Gen Y's childhood that are gone forever.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/16/05 at 3:06 am

So you tell me that Forrest Gump was a horrible movie, Clueless was not entertaining, Full House was not wholesome up to its end, and Nirvana is the same as Nickelback, and Nickelodeon's hasn't already seen it's heyday?? And the Star Wars-based Legos are just as good as the city-based ones? And Toys R Us is the most successful toy retailer in the country still? And NSYNC and The Spice Girls are the biggest thing on the scene still? I could go on forever. There is every reason to be nostalgic about the 90s and the things from Gen Y's childhood that are gone forever.

I'd get into it more on the 90's board, but in short, I'm definitely nostalgic for the first half of the 90's - even up to 1996. Not quite as much as the 80's, but still. Just as a testament, in 1998, I already missed 1995 ALOT. Seven years later, I only slightly miss 1998.

I've wondered if it's because I started high school in 1996 (so I was like on the pathway to adulthood and fast leaving my childhood years behind) or because the culture itself happened to shift alot from '96 to '97. In all honesty, it's probably a little of both. ;)

It's not unheard of for a 16 year old to miss being a 13 year old.

Now, I do agree with you that the 80's music sound was obliterated almost overnight in late '91/early '92 due to grunge. I was never into that stuff -- same with rap -- but that doesn't mean I'm not nostalgic for other things in the 1990-96 time frame. Pop culture has definitely changed for the worse, IMO.

I still like some of it, but not as much as 15, even 10 years ago.

Written By: BCRichrocker on 06/16/05 at 9:22 am

So you tell me that Forrest Gump was a horrible movie, Clueless was not entertaining, Full House was not wholesome up to its end, and Nirvana is the same as Nickelback, and Nickelodeon's hasn't already seen it's heyday??  And the Star Wars-based Legos are just as good as the city-based ones?  And Toys R Us is the most successful toy retailer in the country still?  And NSYNC and The Spice Girls are the biggest thing on the scene still?  I could go on forever.  There is every reason to be nostalgic about the 90s and the things from Gen Y's childhood that are gone forever.

I didn't say that everything sucked in the '90s. I speak mainly of fashion and music. Full House, iMO, is an '80s show. Yes, Nirvana sucks and so does Nickelback. Star Wars legos date back to the 1970's (when the first Star Wars came out) believe me, I was there. Toys R Us???!! I remember that store back in the 70s also, that is not a 90s icon. I am a Gen Xer and that is why there is a difference. But remember, I am posting this on an 80s board. There is a reason I do not post on the 90s board. ;)

Written By: aerognrjovihalen on 06/16/05 at 10:44 pm

I'd get into it more on the 90's board, but in short, I'm definitely nostalgic for the first half of the 90's - even up to 1996. Not quite as much as the 80's, but still. Just as a testament, in 1998, I already missed 1995 ALOT. Seven years later, I only slightly miss 1998.

I've wondered if it's because I started high school in 1996 (so I was like on the pathway to adulthood and fast leaving my childhood years behind) or because the culture itself happened to shift alot from '96 to '97. In all honesty, it's probably a little of both. ;)

It's not unheard of for a 16 year old to miss being a 13 year old.

Now, I do agree with you that the 80's music sound was obliterated almost overnight in late '91/early '92 due to grunge. I was never into that stuff -- same with rap -- but that doesn't mean I'm not nostalgic for other things in the 1990-96 time frame. Pop culture has definitely changed for the worse, IMO.

I still like some of it, but not as much as 15, even 10 years ago.

I completely agree with you.  The late 80s/early 90s was my childhood and I miss it very much.  It all went away, with not a trace left behind, somewhere around 1996-98.  Personally, my family moved during this time period and a lot of other things were going on in my life at the time, so the glory days of the early 90s seemed to disappear, along with a lot of cultural changes.  But since 97, a lot of things have remained the same or something new just hasn't come to life yet.  And ever since, the culture has sucked.  I can do without reality shows, rap, and blockbuster sequels.  Whatever happened to sitcoms, pop-rock, and original comedy & action-packed movies??

Written By: BCRichrocker on 06/16/05 at 11:01 pm

Whatever happened to sitcoms, pop-rock, and original comedy & action-packed movies??

They ended in the '80s. LOL!! ;)

Now you're getting a taste of what I had to go through during the '90s!!!

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/16/05 at 11:10 pm

I can do without reality shows, rap, and blockbuster sequels. Whatever happened to sitcoms, pop-rock, and original comedy & action-packed movies??

I agree. I'd love there to be more "We Built this City"s on the radio!

I think when people look back on this era, it will be remembered as a dull or slow time for pop culture. For instance, in 2030, I could see a teenager saying, "Hey, my older brother was born in 2004 - weren't there alot of sequels coming out then? Reality TV and rap were everywhere too."

The only other truly slow time in history I can think of is the late 50's and early 60's. Like that whole 1958-1963 era seems almost the exact same to me -- after the initial 50's rock and roll explosion had cooled down, and before the British Invasion.

But even that was only about 5 years - our "slump" has outlasted that one. 2005 is in many ways, just 1999 with faster technology and other updates, but it's relatively the same template of styles. The birth of that happened in '97 so in a way that's 8 years and counting.

Written By: aerognrjovihalen on 06/16/05 at 11:24 pm

They ended in the '80s. LOL!! ;)

Now you're getting a taste of what I had to go through during the '90s!!!

No, they ended in 1995-1996, my friend.

Now you see what we've all had to endure the past 8 years!!

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/16/05 at 11:52 pm

No, they ended in 1995-1996, my friend.

Now you see what we've all had to endure the past 8 years!!

I'm actually gonna have to agree with both in a sense.

Hair metal was pretty much dead after late 1991 - that's when grunge began. Little snippets of 80's-esque culture lingered around in '92, but starting in about mid-late 92, the 80's got a HUGE backlash - it was not cool at all to like almost anything from then.

however, I will agree that some songs had a real 80's type catchiness in the 1992-96 era, even if they had 90's instrumentation/production. Take the Gin Blossoms, or Del Amitri's "Roll to Me", even some Collective Soul and Candlebox songs. Pop ones like "The Sign", as well as alot of ballads topping the charts (love him or hate him, you've gotta admit Michael Bolton did carry the pretty 80's ballad torch into the 90's).

TV shows did it even moreso - as I said though, that's in part because many of them did start in the 80's and kept into the 90's. Alot of the movies were more silly and lighthearted too - Pauly Shore is a perfect example.

I'm not slamming today's comedies, but it strikes me they're like ALL these "frat house" ones that are like American Pie redux for the millionth time. Many of the 1992-96 comedy films wouldn't likely be big sellers after '97 or certainly not after '99.

Written By: aerognrjovihalen on 06/17/05 at 12:01 am

Hair metal was pretty much dead after late 1991 - that's when grunge began. Little snippets of 80's-esque culture lingered around in '92, but starting in about mid-late 92, the 80's got a HUGE backlash - it was not cool at all to like almost anything from then.

however, I will agree that some songs had a real 80's type catchiness in the 1992-96 era, even if they had 90's instrumentation/production. Take the Gin Blossoms, or Del Amitri's "Roll to Me", even some Collective Soul and Candlebox songs. Pop ones like "The Sign", as well as alot of ballads topping the charts (love him or hate him, you've gotta admit Michael Bolton did carry the pretty 80's ballad torch into the 90's).

TV shows did it even moreso - as I said though, that's in part because many of them did start in the 80's and kept into the 90's. Alot of the movies were more silly and lighthearted too - Pauly Shore is a perfect example.

I'm not slamming today's comedies, but it strikes me they're like ALL these "frat house" ones that are like American Pie redux for the millionth time. Many of the 1992-96 comedy films wouldn't likely be big sellers after '97 or certainly not after '99.

I s'pose your right.  But whether the early-mid 90s was different from the 80s or not, it is gone completely.  Everything from 1992-1995 is history.  Whereas, a lot of 1997-1999 stuff is still around.

Written By: BCRichrocker on 06/17/05 at 10:02 am

You're dead on. Just like the 1970's took a HUGE backlash in the 1980's if you remember correctly. It was very uncool to look or be a "hippie" or seventies like in the 1980's. I was floored when it came back in 90's. In mean, bellbottoms, platform shoes, vinyl jackets, etc???!! What was up with bringing that back???!!! I guess society will take anything that is forced fed them through the media and fashion.

Written By: BCRichrocker on 06/17/05 at 10:05 am

Whereas, a lot of 1997-1999 stuff is still around.

Exactly. That is why we still are in essentially in the '90s still my friend (so what if it's "late" '90s). By the time we were in the mid '90s almost all traces of the 1980's were gone. And by the time we were in the mid 80's almost all traces of the 1970's were gone. Not so with the last decade in this decade (2005). Nothing new under the sun. Sad, but true. I sincerely hope that changes soon as I'd like to enjoy this decade more than I am.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/17/05 at 10:21 pm

I s'pose your right.  But whether the early-mid 90s was different from the 80s or not, it is gone completely.  Everything from 1992-1995 is history.  Whereas, a lot of 1997-1999 stuff is still around.

The '80s were pretty much totally gone by 1992.

Written By: 90s boy on 06/18/05 at 12:19 am

the 80's really started in 1981 and was gone by 1992

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/18/05 at 1:07 am

the 80's really started in 1981 and was gone by 1992

Pretty much, I'd agree. 1982 was mostly "80s" with a few 70's leftovers, by 1983 it was 99% 80's though.

I'd say the decades roughly go like this - feel free to agree or contest:

1955-63 - The 50's (The whole "malt shop" era, to JFK's assassination)
1964-70 - The 60's (British Invasion to the end of the "main" Vietnam war)
1971-81 - The 70's (The end of the "Hippie era" to Reagan's election)
1982-91 - The 80's (The start of MTV's popularity to the Gulf War)
1992-98 - The 90's ("Grunge"/AIDS awareness era to the teen pop/1999 explosion)
1999-2005+ - The 2000's (The era we're in now - fully picked up after 9/11)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/18/05 at 1:16 am

I'm going to be awkward and say the '90s ended when grunge ended around '96. The '80s ended almost bang on 1990. There was an in between decade called the 1996-2001 decade. And the '00s are from 2001-Present.  ;)

Written By: tv on 06/18/05 at 3:32 pm

This is the 80's board but the 90's ended for good when Britney Spears came out Christmas of time of 1998. The music scence just totally changed around R&B groups like Dru Hill, Kici Jojo that were still relevant about 6 months before were all but irrevalent all of a sudden. Look at R&b singers Brandy and Monica they were the biggest thing around summer time of 98. By summer time 99 nobody cared about them anymore. Everywhere you looked in 99 it was Britney/Chistina/Backstreet/N'Sync. Do we have to hear about these artists 24/7? Rock music was trying to make a comeback in 99. Stone Temple Pilots, Live, and Foo Fighters all released albums in late 99 but everybody had tired of the alternative rock scene. I miss the way music was in the early 80's(1982 to real late 90's(1998.) 1999 the music is just too over played over and over again. I think the best time period music for me was 1986-1996 and I;m only 25. I do like rap music but not all the time. I notice alot of people on 80's boards don't like rap music.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 06/18/05 at 8:41 pm

This is a little tough. I think the 80's, at least from a mood standpoint, ended in 1991. Music wise, on its last leg by 1992, dead by 1993. Fashion wise, I don't think the 80's died until 1994. There were still lots of late 80's hairstyles and clothes up until 1994, in my opnion.

As for the 90's, I never thought I'd be nostalgic for the 90's, but I more and more nowadays. 1990-1997. 1996 was the last really soilid 90's year, but I'll give 1997 a pass, because there was some cool stuff that year. The cultural nosedive sort of started in 1997, but was official in 1998. You could say mood wise, the 90's ended on September 11, 2001, but the fashion and music of the late 90's, is still going strong, only mild changes.

Written By: aerognrjovihalen on 06/18/05 at 10:15 pm

Whoa...you guys are all confusing me now.

After 1989, I don't know where to go.  Even though the grunge scene hit in the early 90s, I still think a lot of other things in that era lasted late until 1994-5.  Fashion, mood/feel, television, movies, technology, etc.  The majority of the Gen-Xers had graduated H.S. by this time, so the 80s/early 90s feel ended.  Then around 1994-2000 was the real 90s (the beginning is a little blurry).  Alternative music w/ a touch of punk, rock-rap, rap, and teeny pop were the main things I think of when I think of the 90s.  And this was also the highest time of prosperity for this country...the Bill Clinton era, if you will.  Then on 9/11, the 90s ended.  Look around...there's no more boy/girl groups selling 10 million a record.  Rap has become completely overdone.  And the rap-rock groups like Korn & Limp Bizkit are jokes.  No more shock-rockers like Marilyn Manson.  No more million dollar game show craze.  No more original movies.  No more Disney movies.  No more going on airplanes with scissors.   And television is stupid and ratings suck...it's all reality TV sh!t...no more Raymond, Friends, etc.  And the peacetime is over...they wanted jihad, they got jihad.  The 90s are over.  Fashion is just really behind...they're all waiting for me to go buy something, so that it'll go out of style and I'll look like a moron. ;D  Sorry for holding up the decade :P

1982-1994: Thriller - Kurt Cobain's suicide
1994-2001: OJ - Chandra Levy
2001-present: Sept. 11 - end of Bush term?

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/18/05 at 10:22 pm

I'm going to be different and say the '90s ended when grunge ended around '96. The '80s ended almost bang on 1990. There was an in between decade called the 1996-2001 decade. And the '00s are from 2001-Present.  ;)

1996 is only the middle of the freakin decade, no way. 1996 was like the peak of the '90s. The late '90s weren't that bad either. And again, grunge does not define the '90s like everybody thinks, grunge is just one style that was around for a few years in the '90s, expect the hip-hop craze to die out in '06, I've already seen signs this year. The cultural '90s ended in 2000 or 2001. There is no "in-between" decade, that makes no sense at all. Grunge was popular with the teen and college crowd from 1992-1996, the the teen-pop took over from about 1997-2001, then hip-hop 2002-2005?, 2006-20?? alternative/punk rock.

Written By: tv on 06/18/05 at 10:42 pm

1996 is only the middle of the freakin decade, no way. 1996 was like the peak of the '90s. The late '90s weren't that bad either. And again, grunge does not define the '90s like everybody thinks, grunge is just one style that was around for a few years in the '90s, expect the hip-hop craze to die out in '06, I've already seen signs this year. The cultural '90s ended in 2000 or 2001. There is no "in-between" decade, that makes no sense at all. Grunge was popular with the teen and college crowd from 1992-1996, the the teen-pop took over from about 1997-2001, then hip-hop 2002-2005?, 2006-20?? alternative/punk rock.
First off on the late 90's 97 and 98 were not that bad. 97 was alright. 98 was ok. 99 was horrible in my opinion. On your second point Grunge, Gangsta Rap, and dance music music as well defined the early to mid 90's. I just don't see Hip-hop dieing out yet. Interscope Records is really the main label that is really pushing the rap craze. Interscope has 50 Cent, Eminem, and The Game. 50 Cent has too much star power to die out just like that. I look at another record label "Roc-A-Fella" with Kanye West. Kanye's doing well and I think he is a talented guy.

Written By: BCRichrocker on 06/18/05 at 11:32 pm

1982-1994: Thriller - Kurt Cobain's suicide
1994-2001: OJ - Chandra Levy
2001-present: Sept. 11 - end of Bush term?

Dude, you are WAY off again. When were you born? I was born in 1970 so I somewhat remember the 1970's (late), my formidable years and HS years were the 1980's, and lived my twentysomethings in the 1990's. I am now in my 30's in the 2000's. So I really can remember the years we are speaking of very very well. And everyone here is speaking of when my decade ended, but I will now refrain from trying to convince you anymore. Feel free to believe whatever you want. But as a Gen Xer I still disagree with you. Sorry bro.

Written By: aerognrjovihalen on 06/19/05 at 12:45 am

Dude, you are WAY off again. When were you born? I was born in 1970 so I somewhat remember the 1970's (late), my formidable years and HS years were the 1980's, and lived my twentysomethings in the 1990's. I am now in my 30's in the 2000's. So I really can remember the years we are speaking of very very well. And everyone here is speaking of when my decade ended, but I will now refrain from trying to convince you anymore. Feel free to believe whatever you want. But as a Gen Xer I still disagree with you. Sorry bro.

I still think the 1992-1994 thing is debatable.  It probably did end in 1992, but for me it seemed to end around 1994-1996.  But I'm sorry...the 90s are over.  Fashion is the only thing that may seem like the 90s never ended.

I was born in 1987, as the words under my username say.  My childhood years were from 1989-1996.  My pre-teen, formidable years were from 1996-2001.  My high school and college years are from 2001-2009.  So, that's how I tend to get mixed up...where my childhood ended and my preteen years began.  Kinda strange, I know...most people combine them.  But when my family moved and my older brothers became teenagers during the mid-90s, my childhood seemed over.  I didn't have anyone to play with anymore and my mom went to work fulltime.  Combine that with all the cultural and technological changes of the time.  Suddenly GN'R and grunge were over (around the same time - 94) and Britney & Backstreet were the main attractions.  Suddenly the great Disney movies like Alladin and Lion King stopped and digital animation came into play.  Suddenly we were using Windows instead of DOS.  Suddenly, it was the Millionaire craze instead of family sitcoms.  The late 90s were a very different decade from the early 90s.  My old life was gone...suddenly there was this new life which I never really embraced.  Then 9/11 hit, and the prosperous, free-wheelin' late 90s were over.  We've been in that cultural rut ever since.

Sorry if we disagree.  I guess it's more of a matter of the 90s being split.  1992-1995, 1996-2000.

Written By: dukefan on 06/20/05 at 1:29 am

First off on the late 90's 97 and 98 were not that bad. 97 was alright. 98 was ok. 99 was horrible in my opinion.

I laugh when people try to defend the latter 90s.

1996 - present = Bad              

Written By: robby76 on 06/20/05 at 4:02 am

It depends how happy you are in life to be able to enjoy a year/ decade.

I mean I actually really enjoyed my 1996-2001 party years of clubbing it 24/7. And I really loved (note the past tense) the whole club (and I regret to say drug) culture. To me the music was fresh, the venue's so unlike the tacky disco's / clubs of the early 90's, and the people were all out to have a great time til the next morning no matter what you were. They were some of my most enjoyable years. But of course after a certain age, you settle down and find yourself with bigger responsibilities... that's when you pack it all in and then start to get nostalgic for your childhood/teenage years.

ps: I know from absolute first hand experience - drugs do fry your brains... you may not notice at the time, but later on in life, trust me!

Written By: Wayland on 06/27/05 at 8:02 pm

Most historical eras have started and ended with the rises and falls of very inspirationnal and guiding figures.

I would give an account of attitudes in general, rather than just music and fashion.

The 80s was Thatcher's decade, and so the 80's would have started in in 1979, and would be in full force after Thatcher won the falklands in 1982. As long as Thatcher seemed invinclible, things overwelmingly pointed in one direction, and so there was no reason for the 80s to end until November 1990, after which the 80s ended quickly, being totally phased out by the end of 1991.

The 80s had been a decade of very conservative views, overwhelmingly dominated by Thatcher's politics. This was a very strong contrast to John Major's pledge for a "classless society", in which anybody could reach any position in sociey starting from any position in sociey. That seemed like a return to the airy-fairy radical liberalism of the 60s.

Written By: robby76 on 06/27/05 at 8:52 pm

I always thought the majority on here were Americans, but it seems there ar emore Brits. I wonder if the 80's era differed from the US and the UK? To me timeline seems to fit both countries quite well.

Written By: Mr Steamer on 04/13/17 at 6:01 pm

Interesting POV - I never get sick of hearing stuff like this! :)

I think 1979 was when the shift into the 80's started. This transitional era was maybe 79-82.

1980 and '81 were still mainly 70's holdover years (eg: new wave was around, but hadn't really hit the mainstream yet). 1982 I'd say, was mainly 80's, but with some 70's nuggets thrown in - even movies like Fast Times at Ridgemont High seemed to have a late 70's vibe to it.

1983 was 100% 80's though, IMO. From what I know, late '82 or early '83 was when MTV really started taking off (it debuted in August 1981, but didn't catch fire instantly). Atari games also started making a splash in this time.

I'd consider 1983-86 to be the "core"/main 80's - John Hughes movies started in this time too! 8) In 1987, it started shifting closer to some early 90's-ish styles. 1988 and '89 more so though - partially with the emerging popularity of rap.

I do agree that the TV and movies in first half of the 90's still felt very 80's like (especially Full House!). So did the movies - even though Pauly Shore was big during the grunge era, his brand of silly/lighthearted surfer dude humor seemed to be in step with the 80's. ;)

Even some songs as late as '94 seemed to have an 80's influence to them, like Ace of Base's "The Sign" - but in general, I'd say the musical 80's ended in late '91. 1992 had splashes of 80's music, but still was mostly 90's.

So as a recap:

Phase 1, 1979-81 - 70's holdover years, with 80's styles slowly emerging, but not "taken over" yet.

Phase 2, 1983-86 - "Main" 80's. The MTV peak, Miami Vice/Wedding Singer-ish years where the 80's culture peaked (82 and 87 could be borderline on phases 1 and 3, respectively, but could work here too).

Phase 3, 1988-91 - "Fringe late 80's" era. Some very slight influences up as late as '94, but the 80's certainly weren't cool past '91.

Completely agree. That's probably the most accurate description of the 80's timeline I've seen.

Written By: Mr Steamer on 04/13/17 at 6:08 pm

I would say the 80's began on the day Michael Jackson released the Thriller album on November 30, 1982 as this album helped to popularise MTV and New Wave/Synthpop which had been slowly emerging through the late 70's and early 80's. The peak year of the eighties was most likely 1984 as this was when new wave was at its height, Miami Vice debuted and all the famous 80's movies such as Ghostbusters, Gremlins, Beverley Hills cop etc. were released. Starting in 1988 (or arguably earlier) the 80's trends started to decline but the true end of the 80s came in September 1991 when Nirvana and grunge exploded onto the scene.

Check for new replies or respond here...