inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80s rock

Written By: dj_e.s.s. on 06/14/05 at 5:52 pm

I was born in 1978 and am an 80s jock on 80s.beonair.com and think tat the 80s was the most relaxed of any era.  80s rock!!

Rooster

Subject: Re: 80s rock

Written By: woops on 06/14/05 at 5:59 pm

The '80's Rocked!  8)

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/14/05 at 6:10 pm

Born in late 1981 - and I've always loved 80's songs. Literally grew up on it. :)

It's interesting though, it does seem "on the fence" with people around my age - when I was in, say Jr. High (mid 90's) it was split about evenly. There were those who remembered some 80's songs from their childhood, or were just getting into them (even though the 80's were no longer cool at all, even 1995 or 96 was still recent enough to where many 80's songs were still in rotation on the radio and VH1/MTV).

On the other side were those who dove headlong into grunge or rap, and wanted nothing to do with 80's music, even if they did remember it. If someone is 10 when they start getting into music, if they were born in 1981/82, that means they started listening in 1992 - which is when a HUGE shift in the music industry was going on, so it could be very borderline.

Like, for me, I was listening to Eddie Money, Aerosmith and Phil Colliins in the early 90's, while the other 10 year olds could've been listening to Red Hot Chili Peppers, Vanilla Ice and Nirvana (I do like some of that too, though). ;)

Written By: robby76 on 06/15/05 at 4:58 am

I think it also depends on whether you had older brothers and sisters as to whether you remember stuff from your early childhood (explaining why some kids your age don't remember stuff you do). I know if i didn't have 3 older siblings, I wouldn't have been exposed to half the songs I grew up with.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/15/05 at 5:09 am

I think it also depends on whether you had older brothers and sisters as to whether you remember stuff from your early childhood (explaining why some kids your age don't remember stuff you do). I know if i didn't have 3 older siblings, I wouldn't have been exposed to half the songs I grew up with.

Yeah.

I was an only child, but my parents listened to music frequently, so that explains my exposure to it. I've said this before, but my mom was (and still is) very good about staying "hip" on stuff - so she'd often buy the new albums and listen to hit radio.

My dad, despite being born in 1938 was also more into the Beatles, and 70's/80's music probably more than the 50's rock he grew up with.

I think, also if, say you've got friends with older brothers, etc. that can help too. :)

The kids who are less "aware" of pop culture might be because their parents don't want them watching MTV or the like.

Written By: Blondie on 06/19/05 at 9:21 pm

The 80's definitely rocked!!! 8)

Written By: _adam_ on 06/25/05 at 9:56 am

Mamy people think 70`s rocks(Queen,Led Zeppelin,Black Sabbath,AC/DC,Aerosmith) and 80`s don`t rocks.
But 80`s definitly rocks.Mamy no-hard rockin` artist of 80`s used hard rocking guitars:Pop(Corey Hart,Micheal Jackson),Funk(Red hot chili peppers),Hip-Hop(Run DMC).

Written By: Howard on 06/25/05 at 4:11 pm

The 1980's were a cool time for Rock. 8)

Written By: memory on 06/26/05 at 1:02 pm

the 80s were ok but the 70s were better.

Check for new replies or respond here...