inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pac-Man Turns 25

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/14/05 at 9:18 pm

While checking out Yahoo, I was surprised to discover that one of my favorite games, Pac-Man turns 25 this year, and it's still just as fun to play as it was when it first came out. Ms. Pac-Man is also a good game as well.  :)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050614/ap_en_tv/pac_man_s_25th

Subject: Re: Pac-Man Turns 25

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/14/05 at 9:26 pm

I love that game! My high score is 250,000 (7 keys) back in 1982

I also love Ms. Pac-Man. high on that one was 157,000 in 1985
:D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/14/05 at 9:44 pm

I found a weird website where people actually play live action Pac-Man games, in New York City.  ::)  ;D  ::)

http://pacmanhattan.com/

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/15/05 at 6:53 am

Happy birthday, PacMan! I still love that game, though I have NEVER managed to "beat" it (I don't even know if you can, LOL! Highest I've gotten is Level 8 or 9 I believe). ;)

That means it came out in June 1980 - was that the first video game of its kind (I know it was ONE of the originals, but I think they started in the late 70's from what I've heard)?

(Well, theoretically I guess Ping Pong machines were the first "video games" - it's safe to say it at least inspired them to a degree.)

Written By: hornet on 06/15/05 at 7:10 am

aaahhhh, the good ol' Pacman - god i loved this when it came out ( and frogger /space invaders ...&  :-X ::) )

* and not forgetting the Pacman song that came out a bit later, by BUCKNER & GARCIA - Pacman Fever  '82'

ti's not the exact version i remember originally, but i still like playing this online version ( better than nothing i guess )  :P
and if you want your score/name to be registed in high scores alternatively - simply go to home & register , heaps of stuff here...bit of fun anyway !

Written By: Howard on 06/15/05 at 4:10 pm

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20050614/capt.nyet34006141934.games_pac_man_s_25th_nyet340.jpg?x=276&y=345&sig=XurnfudAuXkwqBojtUiSOQ--

Pac-Man was my favorite game back in the days.I used to always get up to Level 3. ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/15/05 at 5:01 pm

Happy Birthday, Pac-Man !  :)

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 06/15/05 at 6:55 pm

Do you guys remember Baby Pac Man? I used to play it at the Drive In back in the mid 80's. It was part arcade game/part pinball machine. If you ate one of the special dots, Baby Pac Man got real huge and you could eat most of the ghosts and dots on the board in a few seconds. If you did something else(ate all the ghosts?), you got to play a pinball round. It was very cool! Also an original game. Dont know of any other game that melded arcade game and pinball together like that.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 06/15/05 at 7:59 pm

The original Pac-Man game is still around...but there are newer Pac-Man games,for Nintendo's Game Boy Advance,that have a
3-D Pac-Man who eats power dots and stuff...but he's no longer in a maze...and he has a nastier enemy than the ghost monsters!

Written By: LikeTotallyTara on 06/15/05 at 11:35 pm

I still play Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man alot!  I LOVE that music!  And I miss the Pac-Man cartoon and does anyone remember Pac-Man CEREAL?  OMG I loved that.  I'd eat all the marshmallows out and leave the rest.  LOL

Written By: robby76 on 06/16/05 at 9:38 am

Which years did these come out:-

PacMan

Donkey Kong

Space Invaders

Or rather which came out first / last. Were they all out at the same time?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/16/05 at 2:26 pm

Which years did these come out:-

PacMan

Donkey Kong

Space Invaders

Or rather which came out first / last. Were they all out at the same time?

Space Invaders - 1978

Pac-Man - 1980

Donkey Kong - 1981

Hope it helps !  :)

Written By: robby76 on 06/16/05 at 8:12 pm

Thanks, I thought it was in that order, just unsure about the years.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/16/05 at 9:29 pm

Thanks, I thought it was in that order, just unsure about the years.

Your welcome.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/17/05 at 11:16 am

Isn't it sad that I'm older than friggin' Pac-Man!

Tanya

Written By: robby76 on 06/17/05 at 11:44 am

Ahh another 76'er... with all this nostalgia going round, it's kinda cool to be old now don't u think?

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 06/17/05 at 7:13 pm

Yeah, those were the good old days. Walking to the arcade to play Pac Man, Donkey Kong, Frogger, and one of my favorites,Dig-Dug. I love the new game systems like Xbox and PS2, with their lifelike insane graphics. But somehow it doesn't have the same appeal. I guess because of the excess violence and sexual innuendo. The late 70's/80's arcade life was more innocent.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/17/05 at 7:16 pm

Ahh another 76'er... with all this nostalgia going round, it's kinda cool to be old now don't u think?

Yeah, I guess it is. It's good to know you came from a time where stuff actually were cool, instead of posing like younger generations.  ;)  :D

Tanya

Written By: weredog on 06/17/05 at 8:40 pm

Happy Birthday Pac Man.

I learned to tie my shoes on a pair of Pac Man rollerskates.Had a number of shirts and toys  with Pac Man on them,and used to love it when they played Pac Man fever at the roller rink.

Check for new replies or respond here...