inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best & Worst 12" Extended Mixes Of The 80s

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 06/19/05 at 7:07 pm

Some 12"/extended mixes bring something new to the song, whilst others are just boring and repetitive. What y'all think are some of the best and worst such mixes of the 80s?

BEST:
Smalltown Boy -Bronski Beat (GREAT intro)
One Night In Bangcok -Murray Head (More of that exotic intro, I like!)
Go Wild In The Country -Bow Wow Wow (Somehow it just works better than the 7")
State Of Independence -Chrissie Hynde (Not 80s, but too good not to mention!)

WORST:
I Am -Uncanny X-Men (Talk about repetitive and lazy, I would've done it way differently!)

Subject: Re: Best & Worst 12" Extended Mixes Of The 80s

Written By: hornet on 06/26/05 at 5:13 pm

not into 12' mixes myself really ..i find they are indeed untalently repeatable with some boring fill in tune's that usually sound desperately invented and actually ruin it all, just to fill some time up.

but there was one i did'nt mind.......... Madonna - Cherish

uncanny X-men should've done  - everybody wants to work 12 " ( i've never heard of one released )

but if " i am " was a lazy effort , then disregard the above request  ::)  well done Brian, just go to sleep next time !

Written By: Paul on 06/26/05 at 5:26 pm

Back in 1983, there was a colossal European hit called 'Dolce Vita' by Ryan Paris...

Single version was fairly straightforward, but the 12" was a work of genius, or a work of a madman...

Roughly halfway through, the song literally cuts into a different song...different melody, different tempo - the lot...

Then after a couple of minutes of this, it suddenly cuts back into the original song!

It wouldn't have been so bad if the edit was done subtly...whoever was responsible must have done it with their feet...!

Written By: gjkendall on 07/14/05 at 6:37 am

Pretty much anything Shep Pettibone mixed :)

Written By: Spudboy on 07/14/05 at 5:10 pm

Ready for the World's Digital Display is really boring. :(

Written By: Dukefan on 07/15/05 at 9:23 pm

Pretty much anything Shep Pettibone mixed :)

I can't stand his remix of Madonna's "Like a Prayer".  :-\\  ;)

Written By: MetalManiac on 07/20/05 at 2:18 pm

I went through a phase where I was into Prince big time...liked his 12" singles but I think the worst one ever was when he relesed an 18 or 20 minute version of his song "America". Forget what album it was on, Around The Word in a Day maybe? Hell's bells that remix went on for about  six months.  :o

Written By: Mushroom on 07/20/05 at 4:24 pm

I think my favorite 12" mixes from the 80's were:

Ray Parker Jr. - Ghostbusters
Thomas Dolby - She Blinded Me With Science

Both were pretty damned good.  I was working as a DJ at the time they came out, and I loved to slip them in, especially the Ghostbusters one.  By this time, it was a #1 hit, and everybody knew the song forwards and backwards.  I would put it on the turntable, then watch the crowd.

The LA club thing was for everybody to raise one of their fists into the air and scream out "Ghostbusters!"  It was absolutely priceless the first time I put it on, and they realized half way through the shout that they were the only ones yelling it out!  My assistant and I were rolling at the look of puzzlement that came across their faces.  Of course, then to be peverse every few nights we would slip the original back on, just to keep them guessing.  8)

The worst?  Hmmm, most were pretty good I think.  I will let you know if I can actually think of a bad 12" remix.

Written By: smurfette 101 on 07/20/05 at 9:56 pm

i remember, the song  ( living in the wild wild west) it was kinda dumb song
and i thought      hall & oats was dumb song too.    your replier,  smurfette 101

Check for new replies or respond here...