inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 70s-80s transition period

Written By: Loven1 on 06/20/05 at 1:51 am

Does anyone miss this particular time frame?  In another thread it was brought up about how these years (About 1978-1981) don't really seem to fit into either decade because they are too heavily influenced by each other.  Disco was just flickering by this time, but the "80s style" hadn't quite taken over, so the time had its own unique sounds.  Plus it seems that movies, television, and trends were caught in between as well.                                                     

I was born sort of in the middle of this change, (1979) so I've always been nostalgic to things from this era (Though I obviously wouldn't remember any of it ::))

Subject: Re: 70s-80s transition period

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 06/20/05 at 2:24 am

Yeah I agree. The 80's scene didnt really start until 82-83.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/20/05 at 7:07 am

Does anyone miss this particular time frame?  In another thread it was brought up about how these years (About 1978-1981) don't really seem to fit into either decade because they are too heavily influenced by each other.  Disco was just flickering by this time, but the "80s style" hadn't quite taken over, so the time had its own unique sounds.  Plus it seems that movies, television, and trends were caught in between as well.                                                   

I was born sort of in the middle of this change, (1979) so I've always been nostalgic to things from this era (Though I obviously wouldn't remember any of it ::))

I agree with this pretty much.

I think 1977-78 might've had some very (and I mean very) slight signs of what would become the "80's" but 79-81 were the real transitional years. Video games started getting produced, technology began turning towards VCR's and synthesizers were getting used in songs.

Disco also died a pretty quick death - from all I've seen, disco and ANY trace of its influence was 99.9% dead and buried by the end of 1980. The clothing and fashions were probably the first to make the change - seems everyone wanted nothing to do with polyesther suits or bell-bottoms by 1981, in favor of the 80s more "flashy" styles. ;)

1982 was mostly the 80's with a few 70's splashes left over. 1983 was 100% 80's though, IMO. I think MTV really picked up steam by late '82.

Written By: BCRichrocker on 06/20/05 at 9:58 am

1982 was mostly the 80's with a few 70's splashes left over. 1983 was 100% 80's though, IMO. I think MTV really picked up steam by late '82.

Hit the nail right on the head again, bro.

The late '70s were over by 1983. The late '90s were over by 1993 (yeah '92,  but I mean all noticable traces). But the late '90s ('97 +) were not over by 2003. I could've only dreamed.

Written By: robby76 on 06/20/05 at 9:46 pm

Does anyone miss this particular time frame?

Yeah it was a nice timeframe... a good hybrid of late 70's and early 80's when things were also "just nice" all round.

Written By: Albert on 06/23/05 at 4:59 am

I agree with this pretty much.

I think 1977-78 might've had some very (and I mean very) slight signs of what would become the "80's" but 79-81 were the real transitional years. Video games started getting produced, technology began turning towards VCR's and synthesizers were getting used in songs.

Disco also died a pretty quick death - from all I've seen, disco and ANY trace of its influence was 99.9% dead and buried by the end of 1980. The clothing and fashions were probably the first to make the change - seems everyone wanted nothing to do with polyesther suits or bell-bottoms by 1981, in favor of the 80s more "flashy" styles. ;)

I disagree about disco. The following info comes from my book Joel Whitburn's Pop Annual 1955-1999 with chart data compiled from Billboard. Here are some examples of disco hits of the early-80's:
"And the Beat Goes on" - The Whispers (#19, 1980)
"Funkytown" - Lipps, Inc. (#1, 1980)
"I'm Coming Out" - Diana Ross (#5, Nov.-Dec. 1980)
"Give Me the Night" - George Benson (#4, Sep. 1980)
"Celebration" - Kool & the Gang (#1, 1981)
"Lady (You Bring Me Up)" - The Commodores (#8, Sep. 1981)
"Let's Groove" - Earth, Wind & Fire (#3, Dec. 1981 - Jan. 1982)
"Get Down on It" - Kool & the Gang (#10, May-June 1982)

Also IMO, Michael Jackson's THRILLER album (popular in '83 & '84) (and the singles it spawned) certainly has disco-influence, such as "Billie Jean" (#1, 1983).
While writing this I ommitted some songs I knew of that certainly have disco influence that some people might not consider disco, but I'll mention one of them: "Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen (#1, Oct. 1980).
Also, I feel that styles commonly associated with the 70's lasted longer than you say say so, but "80's"-associated styles emerged in '83 (such as thrift store fashions -- mainstreamed, that is), making quite a mixed scene.

I tell ya this, though...I think that music commonly associated with the 80's (including new wave) started early in the late-70's, with the other sounds still popular, this musically-mixed time lasting through part of the 80's.  

Written By: Albert on 06/23/05 at 5:27 am

To help prove my point, this pic right here demonstrates that styles commonly associated with the 70's were still present in 1983 (a mixed scene time).
Click the pic to get a larger view.

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/lpiintern/alumni/1983.shtml

Written By: Albert on 06/23/05 at 4:34 pm

I forgot to mention these disco songs that I just gotta:

"Upside Down" - Diana Ross (#1, Sep.-Oct. 1980)
"Working My Way Back to You--Forgive Me, Girl" - The Spinners (#3, 1980)

I also want to say that when I said about still-remaining popular sounds (commonly associated with the 70's but lasting longer) I meant disco & otherwise (in a mixed musical time).

Written By: joemy on 06/23/05 at 10:30 pm

I remember for years this was a point of particular disagreement, long before the "When did the 80s end?" debate start about the early 1990s.  People that tended to be teenagers in the early 80s would get quite upset at the notion of having to be lumped in with the garish 1970s.  Far more upset then anyone that graduated high school in 1994 would get about being called "80s teens".  Yes it is true that 1980 was not the true 70s, just like 1990 certainly wasn't the real 80s.  But there were plenty of late 70s styles hanging around in the early 80s. 

Though the time frame of 1982 and it's legwarmers and Pac Man craze was actually more 80s 80s then say 1989 was.  With a late 70s flavor to it though. 

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/24/05 at 6:04 am

^ Yeah, I recall that too, and I believe it. Well I think a 1982 teen would be mad if you lumped it in with 1974, but if you said 82 wasn't too unlike 1979, I don't think many people would oppose. Maybe a 12-year-old, but not a 16, 18, 19 year old.

For sure 1982 was the beginning of the "real" 80's (with some late 70's flavor). The decade was just introducing itself in a sense, so I would agree 82 seems more "80s" than even 1988/89.

To help prove my point, this pic right here demonstrates that styles commonly associated with the 70's were still present in 1983 (a mixed scene time).
Click the pic to get a larger view.

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/lpiintern/alumni/1983.shtml

Good point - the people up front (the girls in particular) seem more 80's dressed, while the guys in the back still look like they're right out of 1976 - esp the big moustaches and bright colored suits! ;)

Written By: tv on 06/25/05 at 10:08 pm

I disagree about disco. The following info comes from my book Joel Whitburn's Pop Annual 1955-1999 with chart data compiled from Billboard. Here are some examples of disco hits of the early-80's:
"And the Beat Goes on" - The Whispers (#19, 1980)
"Funkytown" - Lipps, Inc. (#1, 1980)
"I'm Coming Out" - Diana Ross (#5, Nov.-Dec. 1980)
"Give Me the Night" - George Benson (#4, Sep. 1980)
"Celebration" - Kool & the Gang (#1, 1981)
"Lady (You Bring Me Up)" - The Commodores (#8, Sep. 1981)
"Let's Groove" - Earth, Wind & Fire (#3, Dec. 1981 - Jan. 1982)
"Get Down on It" - Kool & the Gang (#10, May-June 1982)

Also IMO, Michael Jackson's THRILLER album (popular in '83 & '84) (and the singles it spawned) certainly has disco-influence, such as "Billie Jean" (#1, 1983).
While writing this I ommitted some songs I knew of that certainly have disco influence that some people might not consider disco, but I'll mention one of them: "Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen (#1, Oct. 1980).
Also, I feel that styles commonly associated with the 70's lasted longer than you say say so, but "80's"-associated styles emerged in '83 (such as thrift store fashions -- mainstreamed, that is), making quite a mixed scene.

I tell ya this, though...I think that music commonly associated with the 80's (including new wave) started early in the late-70's, with the other sounds still popular, this musically-mixed time lasting through part of the 80's.  

I'll disagree with that George Benson song being disco. George Benson was more of a Jazz/soul artist. That particular Commodores song did have disco influences though. I'll agree with you on that Queen song though, it did have disco influences.

Written By: Mullet-Head on 06/30/05 at 11:40 pm

Punk was the pivotal point between the seventies and eighties. I was in London in 1978.While there was nothing in Canada. Punk started to explode in Britain in the late seventies. I was really young but I saw first generation punks. These were really different to the hardcore punks of the eighties. For one there were no mohawks. The look was just shocking more than anything else. By the time the eighties came the style became much more predictable.

The Punk scene didn't last long. The media quickly killed it to make way for a less threatening form of music labeled New wave

Check for new replies or respond here...