inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Fave Hagar Van Halen album?

Written By: aerognrjovihalen on 06/21/05 at 8:20 pm

5150 (1986)
Sold 6 million copies
Includes: "Why Can't This Be Love", "Dreams", "Love Walks In", "Best of Both Worlds"

OU812 (1988)
Sold 4 million copies
Includes: "When It's Love", "Black and Blue", "Finish What Ya Started", "Feels So Good"

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge (1991)
Sold 3 million copies
Includes: "Poundcake", "Right Now", "Top of the World", "Runaround"

Balance (1995)
Sold 3 million copies
Includes: "Can't Stop Loving You", "Not Enough", "(Don't Tell Me) What Love Can Do"

Subject: Re: Fave Hagar Van Halen album?

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/21/05 at 8:45 pm

Written By: _adam_ on 06/22/05 at 7:42 am

Almost every song on it is hit.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 06/22/05 at 6:39 pm

OU812. Because of one song: 'Finish what Ya Started'. The lead and rythm guitar work on that song is absolutely mindblowing. Simplistic, but cutting edge. I'm shocked that the song didnt win a Grammy. 

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 06/22/05 at 6:43 pm

Definitely 5150.  My fave Van Halen song is "Dreams" followed by "Love Walks In."

Written By: Im Batman on 06/23/05 at 2:50 am

By the slightest of marigins, I go with OU812 over 5150.

Either way, the Van Halen with Sammy Hagar is the best version of the band.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/23/05 at 3:50 am

I went with 5150 by far.

Taking the keyboard hard rock sound of 1984, they add some more of a pop element to it and ballads - which DLR wouldn't dream of doing (one reason he apparently left the band). This is, IMO a strength Sammy brought into the band - personally I like ballads and love songs, though I understand some pure rockers do not.

I absolutely love the song "Dreams", which I'd describe as an inspirational, heavy power ballad. The other big hit "Why Can't This be Love" is a keyboard-heavy rocker, yet lyrically a love song. My fave though, is "Love Walks in" - more of a gentle, sappy (I mean that in a good way!) power ballad. This is actually the least known of the 3 commercial songs - I'm literally amazed it wasn't a huge crossover smash.

"Summer Nights" and "Best of Both Worlds" were grooving rockers, while "Good Enough" and "Get Up" are borderline metal with a swagger -- VERY Roth-like.

The rest of their Sammy output had some great individual songs (always loved "Right Now" - probably their best known latter era song). However, just as like the DLR albums were inconsistent besides the debut and 1984, I would say the same is true with the remaining 3 Sammy albums.

Written By: Im Batman on 06/24/05 at 3:08 pm

OU812 has "Sucker in a Three Piece Suit."  That song freaking RAWKS!

Written By: memory on 06/26/05 at 1:03 pm

Check for new replies or respond here...